Trained sniffer dogs to be sent to airport to detect asymptomatic COVID-19 cases

webfact

20 hours ago, Proboscis said:

It is possible for a dog to be infected by corona virus and that is why they are vaccinated against canine corona virus. Yes, really. Such a vaccine has been around for some time. The corona virus that infects them seems to cause severe gastro problems, apparently.

I would imagine that if scientists believe that covid-19 or its various variants could jump species from human to dog, they would consider vaccinating dogs, especially those in so-called "front-line" situations. But remember, dogs operate at between foot and knee level and generally stay far enough away from the faces of strangers.

As mentioned, if they're using the same procedure as in Finland, the dogs are never in contact with the passengers. Also, according to the article below:

"Although Covid-19 is known to infect mink and cats, dogs do not have the receptors necessary for the virus to readily gain a foothold and do not appear to be easily infected [...] There is no evidence that they can transmit the virus to people or other animals."

Helsinki airport uses sniffer dogs to detect Covid

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 3:12 AM, KhaoYai said:

Are you the only person left in the world to be so arrogant and rude to another member - even when you're wrong?  Although aerosol droplets are the main way that Covid 19 spreads, its not the only way.

I think that most people reading my earlier posts have understood that I was suggesting that the dogs sniff people and not the meat however the poster you replied to didnt see it that way for whatever reason. Thanks for your link. 

On 3/18/2021 at 12:33 PM, EricTh said:

There's no such thing as dogs who can sniff Covid as virus don't have any smell.

Dogs can't even find the small coin that I lost let alone sniff a virus.

The only true test is by swabbing the nose and throat and send to a lab.

The evidence seems to show that dogs can detect CoVid-19. In tests in Helsinki, they had 100% success in detecting samples from covid-positive people.

As for viruses not having a smell, perhaps they don't but the chemical changes that they induce in an infected person means that their sweat does smell different.

As mentioned in the article below:

A French study published in June concluded that there was “very high evidence” that the sweat odour of Covid-positive people was different to that of those who did not have the virus, and that dogs could detect that difference.

Helsinki airport uses sniffer dogs to detect Covid

Dogs cannot perform a medical check. It's like asking a taxi to check if you have a disease. Can the dog tell the difference between strains? What is the point of a doctors report?

Stupid. 

Edited by Sumarianson

On 3/18/2021 at 12:48 AM, nobodysfriend said:

Wow , my post just magically disappeared without leaving a trace or explanation ... this one will disappear as well , I presume ...

Don’t worry bud .. Those dogs can be trained in 30 mins to search out your post .. Tell your friends so they book the holiday

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 3:30 PM, Sumarianson said:

Dogs cannot perform a medical check. It's like asking a taxi to check if you have a disease. Can the dog tell the difference between strains? What is the point of a doctors report?

Stupid. 

Dogs most definitely can detect diseases in people.

Research has shown that dogs are "capable of detecting tiny traces (around one part per trillion – the equivalent of one teaspoon of sugar in two Olympic sized swimming pools) of the odour created by different diseases."

Bio Detection Dogs

See also the study I referenced in my earlier post.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 6:56 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

Dogs most definitely can detect diseases in people.

Research has shown that dogs are "capable of detecting tiny traces (around one part per trillion – the equivalent of one teaspoon of sugar in two Olympic sized swimming pools) of the odour created by different diseases."

Bio Detection Dogs

See also the study I referenced in my earlier post.

So go see a dog in a white coat the next time you are not well!

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Is that the best you can come up with? That doesn't even make any logical sense. 

So, just like your comment then! If you are happy to have a dog assess your health then, fire away! When you see a dog outside the store barking at you and it's handlers refusing you entry you may beg to differ!