Health experts pore over AstraZeneca safety data as Europe reels from vaccine suspensions

webfact

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

In what way is your country being mistreated? Is the EU denying you vaccine? Are you somehow being denied an economic benefit for a vaccine whose makers say they will distribute it at cost? I just don't understand this attitude. It's a vaccine.  The British got their share and more. They are entirely unaffected by whether these other nations take it or not. So why the aggression, the anger, the perceived insults? It seems to me the only people that should be reacting to this, one way or the other, are those in the countries who have suspended AZ. As an American, it doesn't bother me who takes what in Britain or Europe. You want AZ, sputnik, or godhelpyou, Sinovac, go ahead. My only wish is that I have the option to take, preferably, J&J, here, in Thailand, rather than the only two existing options right now. But I do wonder why you personally feel insulted because somebody in France or Germany is not taking the vaccine you want to take for yourself.

Well, I believe in part it relates to the fact that it is British.  I am quite patriotic, perhaps you aren't. I am a bit angry, but not aggressive, and I certainly did not mean to be insulting. It's more than merely not wanting to take it surely!?

Part of the reason you don't want to take the AZ jab is because of the bad publicity. 

And then there is this: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9371027/Coronavirus-UK-Patients-cancelling-Covid-vaccinations-Europes-AstraZeneca-row.html

For my part, I'm happy to take any of the vaccines. I respect the fact that others may not, but I don't think they have the right to slander.

16 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Part of the reason you don't want to take the AZ jab is because of the bad publicity. 

No, the reason I want the J&J is because you only need one shot and its efficacy for some of the variants is much, much higher.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

No, the reason I want the J&J is because you only need one shot and its efficacy for some of the variants is much, much higher.

Yes, I like the JJ vaccine too and would like it if possible.

But honestly I don't think it's any more of a 'one shot' than AZ, SputnikV, etc. 

That didn't take long did it, weren't the French and Germans the ones who said AZ wasn't safe for older people now it's only safe for older French people, the mind boggles...

COVID news – live: Coronavirus variant 'can't be kept out of UK', as vaccine delay warning issued and NHS reveals staggering number of virus calls | UK News | Sky News

French regulators recommends Oxford-AstraZeneca for over-55s after suspension

Speaking of restored confidence in the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, France's medical regulator has now approved its resumed use.

It said it should only be given to people aged 55 and older.

France was one of more than a dozen EU countries that suspended use of the Anglo-Swedish vaccine jab this week, following reports of blood clotting in a small number of recipients of the shot.

The EU's drug regulator (EMA) said yesterday that it was convinced the benefits of the vaccine outweighed the risks.

The recommendation from the National Authority for Health (HAS) reflected signs that the blood-clotting affected younger people mostly, whose risk of dying from COVID-19 was lower than the elderly.

France declares only 55s and over should use AstraZeneca | Daily Mail Online

France's ambassador in the UK, 65-year-old Catherine Colonna, also took the AstraZeneca vaccine on the NHS today - giving a vote of confidence to Britain's roll-out by announcing on Twitter that her jab was 'Done. Safely'.

Edited by mark131v

34 minutes ago, mark131v said:

That didn't take long did it, weren't the French and Germans the ones who said AZ wasn't safe for older people now it's only safe for older French people, the mind boggles...

COVID news – live: Coronavirus variant 'can't be kept out of UK', as vaccine delay warning issued and NHS reveals staggering number of virus calls | UK News | Sky News

French regulators recommends Oxford-AstraZeneca for over-55s after suspension

Speaking of restored confidence in the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, France's medical regulator has now approved its resumed use.

It said it should only be given to people aged 55 and older.

France was one of more than a dozen EU countries that suspended use of the Anglo-Swedish vaccine jab this week, following reports of blood clotting in a small number of recipients of the shot.

The EU's drug regulator (EMA) said yesterday that it was convinced the benefits of the vaccine outweighed the risks.

The recommendation from the National Authority for Health (HAS) reflected signs that the blood-clotting affected younger people mostly, whose risk of dying from COVID-19 was lower than the elderly.

France declares only 55s and over should use AstraZeneca | Daily Mail Online

France's ambassador in the UK, 65-year-old Catherine Colonna, also took the AstraZeneca vaccine on the NHS today - giving a vote of confidence to Britain's roll-out by announcing on Twitter that her jab was 'Done. Safely'.

Well, it depends of which scientific evidence is available at one point in time.

3 minutes ago, candide said:

Well, it depends of which scientific evidence is available at one point in time.

Nope, the EMA cleared it fully and concluded that there was no link and that vaccination should be fully re instigated...

from the Daily Mail link:

EU regulators gave their definitive verdict on Thursday by saying that the vaccine was 'safe and effective', and did not recommend any age-related restrictions. 

The safety panel at the European Medicines Agency said there was no increased risk of blood clots linked to the vaccine

Edited by mark131v

41 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Nope, the EMA cleared it fully and concluded that there was no link and that vaccination should be fully re instigated...

from the Daily Mail link:

EU regulators gave their definitive verdict on Thursday by saying that the vaccine was 'safe and effective', and did not recommend any age-related restrictions. 

The safety panel at the European Medicines Agency said there was no increased risk of blood clots linked to the vaccine

It doesn't contradict what I wrote....