Songkran 2021: Poll reveals overwhelming support for banning water fights

webfact

2pm.jpg
Picture: Naew Na

A snap Nida Poll conducted on Monday and Tuesday nationwide asked the Thai people their opinions and what they would do if the government and CCSA authorities allow water fights at this year's Songkran festival next month.

It all came under the banner of "Want to play Songkran - are you afraid of Covid or not?"

Results were mixed though generally on the broader issue of whether water fights should be allowed in the first place more than 80% said they should not. 

Interestingly, more people cited fear of road accidents than Covid in the poll. 

Despite the poll it is widely expected that water fights will be banned when the CCSA main committee meets this Friday, notes Thaivisa.

In the poll - conducted nationwide among 1,315 people aged 15 up - they were asked what should happen if the government gives the green light to water splashing.

43.73% said no water splashing events should be held.

20.45% Said it should only be allowed in places not affected by the second wave of the pandemic

17.87% said it should be allowed according to the "New Normal" - participants should wear face shields, goggles and raincoats.

10.80% advocated complete freedom

7.15% said it should only be allowed where there had been no Covid cases for 14 days.

Asked about stress levels if water splashing is allowed the results were as follows:

High stress: 26.54

Some stress: 38.02%

Not much: 18.78%

None whatsoever: 16.66%

Asked how they would protect themselves most opted for masks, social distancing, avoiding contact and face shields.

Asked what they were most concerned about at Songkran 2021 the results were:

Road accidents: 43.95%

Covid Spread: 38.17 %

Problems for tourism/economy: 15.29%

Crime: 2.59%

On the broader issue of whether the government should allow water fights 82.28 % said don't allow it, 15.29% said take the Covid risk and just 2.43% were not sure. 

The information was all contained in an infographic published by Thai media Naew Na.

464204.jpg

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-18

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

They only surveyed 1,315 people!

That is a standard survey size for a population survey. 

From google:
refers to the percentage of people contacted to participate in a survey that actually do so. The ideal sample size is 1500. The added cost of increasing the sample size is not offset by the accuracy gained (i.e., reduction of margin of error).
Edited by Pilotman

In 97 only 23 years ago Songkran was not that big an issue.  I went to Patpong 1 and along with some of the girls and a few others the only people throwing water were in trucks that drove through the street with kids in the back.  

It was fun friendly and quite enjoyable.  Even managed to get a haircut after i was done while my clothes dried.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Results were mixed though generally on the broader issue of whether water fights should be allowed in the first place more than 80% said they should not. 

Seems the average person on the street has more sense than those wishing to "party" for a quick profit before the nation has even been inoculated.

Jabs first, party after.

No mention of limiting alcohol sales, yet. Interesting.

I still say this is a good experiment. 4 - 8 weeks after Songkhran, see what happens. If no new wave then open things up.

Not sure about trains and buses, but I was surprised that air tickets were still generally available (and in the Saver category), and that some airlines (PG in my case) have actually put additionally flights on for Songkhran.