Home Made Baked Macaroni And Cheese

cathyy

For dinner tonight I made baked macaroni and cheese with ham, a recipe my husband and I both love. It was truly comfort food. Thanks to a recent trip to BKK I had cheddar cheese, and I took a chance on a small tinned pork shoulder to use as the ham as neither my husband nor I can stomach what passes for ham locally. I had to substitute milk with milk powder added to make it double-strength for the evaporated milk.

1 1/2 cups evaporated milk

3 Tbs flour

6 oz shredded cheddar cheese

2 tsp prepared mustard

1/4 tsp black pepper

2 cups (8 oz) uncooked elbow macaroni, cooked, rinsed, and drained

1 cup (6 oz) ham, diced

3 Tbs fine bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 (180). Butter an 8x8 baking pan. In a covered jar, combine the evaporated milk and flour, shaking well to combine.

Pour milk mixture into a medium skillet sprayed with oil or cooking spray. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture starts to thicken. Stir in cheddar cheese, mustard, and black pepper. continue cooking, stirring often, until cheese melts. Add ham and macaroni. Mix well to combine. Pour into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 30 minutes. Let set 5 minutes. Serves 4.

Sounds good. Here's my Mom's recipe:

measure out macaroni by filling the baking dish about 1/3 full

Boil a big pot of water and cook macaroni

Slice cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to about 325F

grease and dust baking pan (we always use glass so you can see the bake process)

drain the cooked mac add salt pepper and mix. Fill the bake dish about 1/4 full. Add dabs of butter, sprinkle with flour and fully cover with cheese slices. Repeat until dish is about full but before adding the top layer of cheese, pour milk all over to fill to about 1/3 of the dish. Slap the rest of the cheese slices on top and bake for 1/2 hour or until the cheese is melted and the milk is set with the flour.

Cholestrol heaven.

Ham in Macaroni cheese? Whatever next.

My wife got my mum's recipe a few years ago.

I had it tonight, amazing!

Last night I had something different - pizza "gra pao"

Italian pizza with thai basil chicken on top of it - a good mixture.

For dinner tonight I made baked macaroni and cheese with ham, a recipe my husband and I both love. It was truly comfort food. Thanks to a recent trip to BKK I had cheddar cheese, and I took a chance on a small tinned pork shoulder to use as the ham as neither my husband nor I can stomach what passes for ham locally. I had to substitute milk with milk powder added to make it double-strength for the evaporated milk.

3 Tbs flour

2 tsp prepared mustard

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 cup (6 oz) ham, diced

3 Tbs fine bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 (180). Butter an 8x8 baking pan. In a covered jar, combine the evaporated milk and flour, shaking well to combine.

Pour milk mixture into a medium skillet sprayed with oil or cooking spray. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture starts to thicken. Stir in cheddar cheese, mustard, and black pepper. continue cooking, stirring often, until cheese melts. Add ham and macaroni. Mix well to combine. Pour into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 30 minutes. Let set 5 minutes. Serves 4.

mmmm, sounds good. I've never tried it with ham though, i'll have to give it a shot

Mike

3 Tbs flour

2 tsp prepared mustard

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 cup (6 oz) ham, diced

3 Tbs fine bread crumbs

mmmm, sounds good. I've never tried it with ham though, i'll have to give it a shot

Mike

Yuk macaroni and even worse condensed milk? anyway as long as u enjoy.

All I REALLY want is some cheap ole' Kraft's Macaroni and Cheese. There are a few places that try to fancy it up in Chiang Mai and it is better than nothing, but I want the real deal! :D

Agreed! While I know that the homemade stuff is a better meal and better for you, I was brought up by the good old American chemical industry-devised cheese from Kraft (McD's and others :o) . I'm programmed to love the stuff! Half my lunches when living off campus in college were a box of Kraft MacChz with a can of tuna fish mixed in, instant tuna casserole, filled you up for quite a bit. They got Kraft MacChz up here in CM? Haven't seen it in Topp's. Rimping?

Edited by calibanjr.

All I REALLY want is some cheap ole' Kraft's Macaroni and Cheese. There are a few places that try to fancy it up in Chiang Mai and it is better than nothing, but I want the real deal! :D

UG I have seen the blue packets of it in Rimping - they had two types the "cheap and cheerfull" version with cheese powder and the "Deluxe" which had a tin of processed plastic cheese with a dubious connection to cheddar :o. I bought 2 of the former and 1 of the latter. Great for a "man I am so hungry and don't want to bother doing anything complicated" meal

CB

UG I have seen the blue packets of it in Rimping - they had two types the "cheap and cheerfull" version with cheese powder and the "Deluxe" which had a tin of processed plastic cheese with a dubious connection to cheddar :o. I bought 2 of the former and 1 of the latter. Great for a "man I am so hungry and don't want to bother doing anything complicated" meal

CB

Both are definitely quite edible bachelor snack food, the powder version is only a powdered cheese sauce and the "Deluxe" seems to be Kraft cheese spread, a favorite breakfast spread on toast of mine.

For the man (or woman) with time on their hands it's seems to be a fairly simple process to make similar sauces with additions and improvements. All the things that go well with cheese could be added, onions, tuna, a little chilli and tomato sliced onto the top with some ham or bacon before baking. I've a block of good old Kraft Cheddar in the fridge, might make a small one to go with the grilled TGM Arabic Wieners I've got planned for tonight.

Condensed milk is not the same thing as evaporated milk! Evaporated milk is basically milk with part of the liquid removed so it is stronger than plain milk. Nothing is added to it. It makes for richer sauces than plain milk, which is why it's used in this recipe.

As far as Kraft goes, yeah, my husband and I both love that stuff, awful though it may be.

UG I have seen the blue packets of it in Rimping - they had two types the "cheap and cheerfull" version with cheese powder and the "Deluxe" which had a tin of processed plastic cheese with a dubious connection to cheddar :D. I bought 2 of the former and 1 of the latter. Great for a "man I am so hungry and don't want to bother doing anything complicated" meal

CB

Both are definitely quite edible bachelor snack food, the powder version is only a powdered cheese sauce and the "Deluxe" seems to be Kraft cheese spread, a favorite breakfast spread on toast of mine.

For the man (or woman) with time on their hands it's seems to be a fairly simple process to make similar sauces with additions and improvements. All the things that go well with cheese could be added, onions, tuna, a little chilli and tomato sliced onto the top with some ham or bacon before baking. I've a block of good old Kraft Cheddar in the fridge, might make a small one to go with the grilled TGM Arabic Wieners I've got planned for tonight.

THis is the sort of thing my wife is totally incapable of making but while she hates the smell and taste of cheese she loves it if I make cheese on toast or macaroni. My preference to Kraft processed cheddar it the other popular variety of Australian Cheese the name of which would have me banned for posting. :o

I personally prefer making my macaroni from base using fresh milk, grated cheese, grated black pepper, a pinch of mustard powder. A small amount of corn flour helps to set it and give a creamy but not gluggy texture.

I can do the whole thing with chunks of toast in the half time break during a game of football and have time for a least two beers. One during prep and cooking and one in eating. 30minutes in a oven - bah - a couple of minutes under the microwave and then either brown the top under the grill or set the microwave with a browning element to do it in one motion. So easy even a Port Power supported can do it with minimal assistance.

:D

CB

Condensed milk is not the same thing as evaporated milk! Evaporated milk is basically milk with part of the liquid removed so it is stronger than plain milk. Nothing is added to it. It makes for richer sauces than plain milk, which is why it's used in this recipe.

As far as Kraft goes, yeah, my husband and I both love that stuff, awful though it may be.

Yes sorry, i was getting the 2 confused. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, my search for Kraft MacChz is finally over. Rimping Mae Jo were out, so I went to the one actually closer to my house, across from Niyom Panich. Okay, I found it, double size even (family pack style). I was reaching to snag it and had a :o 290 THB. Okay, once my keeniaow brain recovers I'll go back and get one, make a reminiscing batch and enjoy it. But damned if I'll use up "Duke's lunch" size cash to have Mac n' cheese. If I'm feeling less lazy some day, I'll try to make something along the lines of Cathy's above.