Hard Rock Cafe Closing

Yellowtail

Read yesterday that the Hard Rock Siam Square was closing March 31st, and likely relocating. 

I had not been for years so took the wife and kid for dinner last night and it was pretty good. Wife liked it and the kid loved it.

It was pretty packed by the time the band started at 8:00 so you might want call ahead if you want a nice table. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

That whole area is about to go the way of the dodo bird.

They are building new buildings there like no one's business.

Yeah, I think a lot of long term leases have expired in the last few years. It is still a great place to walk around and parking has improved significantly. Bummer the old theaters shut down.  

• Like 2

If you were homesick, this was certainly the place for you. Not only all the guitars and posters, but also the very Western prices. Wow.

I brought my first Thai GF here on my first visit way back when. I was quite naive and dropped a few thousand baht. I was thinking of a special date back home. Then I couldn’t believe how much cheaper a regular bar was, like on Soi 22. Haha.

Oh well, good times regardless.

28 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

If you were homesick, this was certainly the place for you. Not only all the guitars and posters, but also the very Western prices. Wow.

I brought my first Thai GF here on my first visit way back when. I was quite naive and dropped a few thousand baht. I was thinking of a special date back home. Then I couldn’t believe how much cheaper a regular bar was, like on Soi 22. Haha.

Oh well, good times regardless.

I'm from the US, why would I go to Hard Rock if I were homesick? 

And why would I want to take my child to a regular bar?

We had a decent meal and enjoyed the live music, the bill was around 1,800, but I guess when you're eating dinner with your wife an kid it's cheaper than trying to impress one's first Thai GF....

10 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Good, hope it does not re open, the less of this western pollution the better. I'd like to see all the McDonalds, Burger king, Swenssens, Auntie Annies, Mr Donnut etc follow them.

Yeah, a very over-priced bar/club/restaurant.  Not sure what you have against Swenssens, Auntie Annie and Mr Donut though!  Not really the same types of place as the Hard Rock Cafe.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Metapod said:

My buddy owns this place. I'll ask him what's up with it. 

I preferred the old set up....people packed in around the bar, you were almost stood with the band it was so tight......I can see why they felt the need to change it.......but it is now just like any other venue......it has lost all its character.

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Good, hope it does not re open, the less of this western pollution the better. I'd like to see all the McDonalds, Burger king, Swenssens, Auntie Annies, Mr Donnut etc follow them.

As a Kentucky Colonel, I suppose I need to add Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), and Kentucky Bourbons as western pollution.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

We had a decent meal and enjoyed the live music, the bill was around 1,800, but I guess when you're eating dinner with your wife an kid it's cheaper than trying to impress one's first Thai GF....

The hard rock cafe was founded in London UK.

• Like 1

I haven’t been to the Hard Rock Cafe Bangkok in many, many years.  Expensive, but it had a very cool a/c system and great memorabilia on the walls.  It was a good stopover after visiting matinees at the once-great Apex theaters in Siam Square: Lido, Scala and Siam (before they burned the latter down in 2010). 

My wife and I used to stop into the Hard Rock for lunch after finishing our excruciating visits/ordeals at the Immigration Office when I (who live in Nonthaburi) had to use that hot, uncomfortable office located further to the south in Bangkok.  We relished the cool, clean atmosphere after the immigration nightmare. 

The last time I was at the Hard Rock was probably a decade ago on a visit to Bangkok for movies, shopping and music.  For me, it was a stop in a comfortable a/c place where I could kill time and get a meal before walking the mile or so north to hear better music at The Rock Pub. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Sorry to disappoint you it's a fine British establishment 

Hard Rock Cafe, Inc. is a chain of theme restaurants founded in 1971 by Isaac Tigrett and Peter Morton in London. In 1979, the cafe began covering its walls with rock and roll memorabilia, a tradition which expanded to others in the chain.

I used to think the one in BKK had a great atmosphere maybe because it was small and compact, 

I landed in Singapore one weekend and Debbie Harry was doing a gig at the Hardrock I managed to get a couple of tickets, she put on a good show

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Sorry to disappoint you it's a fine British establishment 

Hard Rock Cafe, Inc. is a chain of theme restaurants founded in 1971 by Isaac Tigrett and Peter Morton in London. In 1979, the cafe began covering its walls with rock and roll memorabilia, a tradition which expanded to others in the chain.

Yes, that is why I found it odd that someone would think I (an American) would go there were I homesick.

In any event, it's now headquartered in the U. S. and is owned by Indians. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I used to think the one in BKK had a great atmosphere maybe because it was small and compact, 

I landed in Singapore one weekend and Debbie Harry was doing a gig at the Hardrock I managed to get a couple of tickets, she put on a good show

We enjoyed it. Does not seem to be any bad seats. We had a nice table right next to the stage. 

5 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

As a Kentucky Colonel, I suppose I need to add Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), and Kentucky Bourbons as western pollution.

Yes these multi nationals end up making everywhere look the same. Almost all is unhealthy as you can see from a lot more locals wobbling around these days.

• Like 2

I remember this place fondly.  1st time there MANY years ago I sat at a table by myself.  A Thai couple asked to sit.  After a while it was off riding in the back seat of the husbands car through the streets of BKK, at night, as he watched the goings on with his pharmacy wife and I.  Yes, fond memories

• Like 1

I like the place.  Many moons ago, they had a Led Zeppelin bass drum on display.

Are they selling anything off the walls?

Where are the moving? 

????