Thai-developed COVID-19 vaccine starts human trials

webfact

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

That's perfectly OK but every Thai should have already been vaccinated by then, that's at least 9 months away and if they haven't been then the people in charge should be removed from office .

The government has not announced a plan to vaccinate anywhere near nearly all Thais in that timeframe, or ever. If you've been following this, their goals are quite modest as far as percentages and speed. I have no idea why. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm a little confused here

For a successful human vaccine trial the actual virus needs to be prevalent in the country where the trial takes place? Particularly the phase 3 trials which will needs thousands of volunteers.

So where in Thailand will that be? 

That's a very good question.

Either the plan is to do it in a "hotbed" area in Thailand, or they plan to intentionally infect people, or it will be of questionable value. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

I'd regard a Thai vaccine with the same level of suspicion that I do the Chinese versions. That's not being racist or anti-Thai, far from it, but their attitudes to health and safety in all aspects of life are simply different from ours. 

Thailand supplied the hundreds of thousands of subjects over the years for HIV, and Dengue vaccine for US NIH and Army research. They would use the  new conscripts every year. I think they have learned enough how to do mechanics of clinical trial over the past 30 years, yes?

Ethically is a different issue that I cannot comment on because I do not have the knowledge of how the conscripts participate, but I do not think it is questionable like the organ donor supplier program in China.

Edited by Patong2021
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Either the plan is to do it in a "hotbed" area in Thailand, or they plan to intentionally infect people, or it will be of questionable value. 

Possibly but the article says phase two will be carried out at the end of the year so the important phase 3 will not be until early next year. From June the government has promised 10 million vaccines a month to be given to people and they would of course target hot bed areas.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They will not intentionally infect people. This is not Japan occupation of China where Japanese infected tens of thousands with deadly disease.  Thailand will conduct the  trials same way they are done in USA or EU.  Thailand has long experience in running quality mass population vaccine clinical trials. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

They will not intentionally infect people. This is not Japan occupation of China where Japanese infected tens of thousands with deadly disease.  Thailand will conduct the  trials same way they are done in USA or EU.  Thailand has long experience in running quality mass population vaccine clinical trials. 

There have been cases of intentional infection in at least one Covid 19 trial. 

https://gizmodo.com/uk-will-intentionally-infect-volunteers-with-the-corona-1845438583

Look if they are testing in a low or no infection environment then all they are testing is safety, not effectiveness. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Thailand’s inactivated COVID-19 vaccine starts human trials

By Tanakorn Sangiam

2f67cf3d7dbe1b9f4cab0ae31a43e198_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - In addition to imported vaccines, several COVID-19 vaccine development programs conducted by Thai scientists are now making progress, with a vaccine candidate using inactivated virus technology starting human trials today.

The first 18 volunteers have received the vaccine prototype developed by the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) and the Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University in a clinical trial.

The human trials of this inactivated virus vaccine candidate will be conducted with 460 volunteers in Phases 1 and 2.

In Phase 1, the candidate vaccine will be injected into 210 volunteers in different quantities, starting from the lowest to highest, in order to find two dosage options, or recipe for the Phase 2 trial scheduled for July.

In Phase 2, the vaccine will be administered to 250 volunteers aged from 18 to 75 years old, with the results of these two phases expected to be available by the end of this year.

The volunteers must be considered healthy, have no history of COVID-19 infection or allergy to medications or vaccines. They will need to have their medical history taken, have a physical examination, and blood tests to see if they are eligible.

The vaccine program is a cooperative venture between the GPO and the global health non-profit unit PATH. The inactivated virus vaccine prototype has been developed from the actual virus delivered last year from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City and the University of Texas; the virus was then disabled, losing its ability to cause the disease.

Prior to the human trials, this vaccine prototype was tested for toxicity in rats which took place in India, as well as tested for its effectiveness in triggering an immune response in hamsters in the United States.

The GPO will be producing the vaccine model using its current technological capacity as a manufacturer of influenza viruses. The organization has joined hands with the Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation and the Food and Drugs Administration to expand the scope of the trials, file for regulatory approval, and seek approval for mass production of the vaccine.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, keith101 said:

That's perfectly OK but every Thai should have already been vaccinated by then, that's at least 9 months away and if they haven't been then the people in charge should be removed from office .

Don't hold your breath....

15 hours ago, keith101 said:

Apparently you fail to realize that there’s no way the entire world can be vaccinated until the end of this year because there’s not enough vaccine and to expect all Thais to be vaccinated until the end of the year is a pipe dream! If they can develop their own vaccine to sped it up then kudos to them! 

• Like 2

If I had to make a semi educated guess, I would say Thailand won't achieve solid vaccination until year 3. They will start now and the most anxious people will get vaccinated. Then, the virus will slow down... Thais will stop getting vaccinated thinking it's safe. The virus will come back, etc etc etc. There will be a couple rounds like this.

Some countries like Pakistan are already seeing people unwilling to get the vaccine -- of course, some of that could be that Pakistan opted to take a risk with the Chinese vaccines.

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Guderian said:

I'd regard a Thai vaccine with the same level of suspicion that I do the Chinese versions. That's not being racist or anti-Thai, far from it, but their attitudes to health and safety in all aspects of life are simply different from ours. 

I'd be more worried by the EU version with the spanking they are giving non EU members with supply issues 

• Like 1