Thailand post parcel to Australia

kwak250

Ok just tried to post a 90cm x30x30 box to Australia and they have now changed and say you can only post in certain small post office boxes

Anyone else use any other courier other than Thailand post and if its much bigger than about 2 boxes of beer it wont be allowed as of last Friday 19th March

With reduced flights, inclusion of shared courier services, you cant blame them for being more concerned about "volume" of the item.A box you stated is a large volume for little return. They can fit alot of smaller pkts in that volume. Thats probably the driving force behind it these days.

• Like 1

oh yes i totally understand and dont mind paying more which is why i am asking if there is any other courier that will allow it .They say its only Australia that has started doing this but maybe more will follow?

8 minutes ago, tifino said:

Can you list the Dimensions of the Max size carton allowable pls?  (2 boxes of beer can have a wide variety in size, depending on brand and if bottles/cans) 

i.e EMS Box 1 /Box 2 / & Box 3  

The Calculators only seem to mention what Packages are available, but not their actual sizes...  

Mrs wants a largish special book from the monk at the family temple, and if a particular Size Box is the limitation... everything hinges on knowing prior to sending $$$up for the Monk to set about sending it

5 hours ago, kwak250 said:

oh yes i totally understand and dont mind paying more which is why i am asking if there is any other courier that will allow it .They say its only Australia that has started doing this but maybe more will follow?

What weight is it ? The reason I ask is that I've just sent a very very small USB drive to the UK via DHL, it was 1650 Baht upto .5 kg, it only took 3 days & tracked all the way, maybe Oz being closer it might be cheaper ????

Posted some A4 painting2 to Australia start of January. The receiver has not got them yet.Mt wife went to the post office and asked them and the guy behind the counter just laughed at her . Ask him for EM service price and he look it up. Good to see the customer service is improving

• Like 1

Very strange. I've had zero problems receiving dozens of parcels of this size (or slightly larger or smaller) since Covid restrictions came into force. However, Australia has several issues - a lack of flights being one. Many online sellers have mentioned that sales to Australia/New Zealand could take up to 2-3 months for delivery. Couriers would be a better option. I'm pretty sure if you were sending something to Japan/Korea/Europe or even the USA you wouldn't be faced with these restrictions. 

For inbound packages, the postal system is far superior to DHL, which has all sorts of fickle requirements and can take up to 3 weeks to clear packages. The postal system on the other hand, clears them within a few hours at most. SF Express (a Chinese courier) is pretty OK too, and certainly faster than DHL. 

2 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Very strange. I've had zero problems receiving dozens of parcels of this size (or slightly larger or smaller) since Covid restrictions came into force. However, Australia has several issues - a lack of flights being one. Many online sellers have mentioned that sales to Australia/New Zealand could take up to 2-3 months for delivery. Couriers would be a better option. I'm pretty sure if you were sending something to Japan/Korea/Europe or even the USA you wouldn't be faced with these restrictions. 

For inbound packages, the postal system is far superior to DHL, which has all sorts of fickle requirements and can take up to 3 weeks to clear packages. The postal system on the other hand, clears them within a few hours at most. SF Express (a Chinese courier) is pretty OK too, and certainly faster than DHL. 

In my experience DHL deliver within 7 days usually and 9 was the longest.

Just been talking to someone from Thailand Post and they say sending parcels with Airmail /Ems/Courier post can only be sent with the box size 45x 55x 40 cm .

I tried DHL and they said 90cm x30x30 parcel is too large.

Probably would not use Dhl anyway the cost is about 5 times the airmail rate and last parcel with airmail only took about 1 week

42 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

In my experience DHL deliver within 7 days usually and 9 was the longest.

2-3 weeks has been standard in recent months. I know not to use DHL but some merchants still insist on using them. For documents, they are fast, but anything that needs inspection will take a hell of a long time. Strangely, last July they were clearing goods within 24-48 hours, but starting later in the year it turned into a week and now 2-3 weeks. A staffing shortage could be one of the reasons.

Fedex cleared an item within 25 hours last month, but express post still tends to be as fast, if not faster. 

19 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

2-3 weeks has been standard in recent months. I know not to use DHL but some merchants still insist on using them. For documents, they are fast, but anything that needs inspection will take a hell of a long time. Strangely, last July they were clearing goods within 24-48 hours, but starting later in the year it turned into a week and now 2-3 weeks. A staffing shortage could be one of the reasons.

Fedex cleared an item within 25 hours last month, but express post still tends to be as fast, if not faster. 

As I stated before thats NOT my recent experience with DHL.

I also note the Auspost has a notice on their tracking page to expect delays.

SmartSelect_20210324-155148_Brave.jpg

SmartSelect_20210324-155206_Brave.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

although on the International Deliveries page; the Notice there really puts the Delays of incoming International mail, as  more being due to Restrictions existing at the Sending Country...

https://auspost.com.au/service-updates/international-delivery-updates?fm=search-organic:delays:3

The real Delays of stuff coming in... well this time last year I had a package coming in from HK; and the Tracking itself was the only 'thing' one could rely upon...  The diary of events had it 1st coming to one of the major Melb sorting centres...

then the Item appeared in the equivalent centre over in WA!! 

I had at the time rang them up, and they had no idea, so I fwded a Link from the HKers International Tracking for them to look for themselves.

The Tracking...   The Item after another 3 days then appeared as leaving WA, and 'then' ended up sitting in Sydney's for another week... 

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

SmartSelect_20210324-155148_Brave.jpg

SmartSelect_20210324-155206_Brave.jpg

Yours is an OUTBOUND shipment from Thailand. Hence how long Australian customs takes to process an inbound shipment depends on them.

The delays are for INCOMING shipments to Thailand using DHL from any country. While they arrive in country quite quickly - if it's something that needs to be inspected, such as food supplements, it will take DHL days, possibly weeks to clear and release the shipment right now. Happened to me several times in recent months and consequently, I do my best to ensure merchants only use the postal system or SF express, where these delays don't apply. Unfortunately, some merchants still send packages using DHL (or other couriers such as Fedex) even when you select USPS (in the case of US based merchants). Has happened to me several times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Just been talking to someone from Thailand Post and they say sending parcels with Airmail /Ems/Courier post can only be sent with the box size 45x 55x 40 cm .

Probably would not use Dhl anyway the cost is about 5 times the airmail rate and last parcel with airmail only took about 1 week

Looks like I read your comment too fast. It could be that there is a size limit and 90x30x30 cm is pretty large.

That being said, a few years back I sent something larger than this - might have been around 60 x 50 x 50 cm or something and it was accepted. The weight limit is what they tend to go by (although obviously a really large parcel won't be accepted either) - the package I sent was bound for Hawaii and was 20kg; the Thai post weight limit is either 25 or 30kg. I don't see any particular reason why they would impose special restrictions now, if anything they have more space to carry mail by commercial aircraft than during normal times.

21 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Same box that I am working on now. 45x 55x 40 cm . From the Thailand Post Office near Ha Yaek Chalong, and they said with a weight of 20 kilos, would cost 10,000 bahts to send to Canada.

I think it was the largest box that the Post Office provided.

On 3/23/2021 at 7:36 PM, CharlieH said:

With reduced flights, inclusion of shared courier services, you cant blame them for being more concerned about "volume" of the item.A box you stated is a large volume for little return. They can fit alot of smaller pkts in that volume. Thats probably the driving force behind it these days.

Perhaps the restrictions are not coming direct from ThaiPost, but dictated by the airlines.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... here we go:

Mrs just receive an International Postal Parcel Thailand.

The item a thin A4 sized softcover Sanga book; which came from Buriham, to Melbourne.  
It was Sent on 4Mar21, so took 34 calendar days to arrive at our door.

It was a Size D box, dims 22*35*14 cm

It weighed 538 gm total

The Cost to Send was 950Baht on the label

it had a tracking Number

hope this is helpful for comparative purposes to someone? 

• Like 1