Thai govt approves huge expansion of Suvarnabhumi airport - minister claims 2022 back to normal

webfact

What most of the replies in here seem to miss is that this is Thailand, everything takes forever, so it will be a few years before they finish any work and by then, things will probably be back to something like normal.

13 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

His family own Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction PCL which has carried out multiple large projects on Suvarnabhumi airport, at the very least a conflict of interest.

Conflict of interest? Have you forgotten where you are?

6 hours ago, Xonax said:

2 weeks ago a lot of soil was being moved in Suvarnabhumi Airport, som people in charge must have had a good idea, that the expansion plan would be allowed to go ahead. 

He’s digging holes to bury his treasure 

8 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Conflict of interest? Have you forgotten where you are?

yea I was being polite i guess, I do think that similar to the Royal Thai Police who have their payments to be made for promotion well documented, politicians also via for the best projects and will no doubt do the same to their superiors, hand over a large sum to get a lucrative project. In this case Anutin's superior would be none other than Prayut.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

yea I was being polite i guess, I do think that similar to the Royal Thai Police who have their payments to be made for promotion well documented, politicians also via for the best projects and will no doubt do the same to their superiors, hand over a large sum to get a lucrative project. In this case Anutin's superior would be none other than Prayut.

It’s much simpler in the UK. Just make a donation to the Tories and watch the contracts come rolling in.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ketyo said:

Anuthin is heir to a major construction company fortune. His family's company, Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction PCL, built several government mega-projects such as Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport. An engineer, Anuthin served as president of Sino-Thai.

Is there any surprise that the Thai government approved the project and that Anutin is in charge?

Conflict of interest?

A cynic might be tempted to wonder if the recent meetings with the CCP / Chinese government had led to any opaque capital loans which may or may not be paid back in the future.......

9 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Long overdue because the waiting cues in the airport are ridiculously long! It took me 3 hours in 2017 to go through immigration when I flew back home!  

I remember coming in about 15 years or so back at Don Mueang.  It took maybe 10 minutes.

13 hours ago, MikeN said:

Or perhaps the expansion is to give more waiting room for those long queues ( cues are what you play pool with ???? ).

And more duty free shops for King Power, of course.

???????????? yeah, you got me there with the cues! Well, we can only hope they'll install more booths and hire more staff so the queues will be dealt with in a more timely fashion! 

13 hours ago, mrfill said:

So how will building a new runway and expanding terminals improve the queues?

Just having all the immigration desks open occasionally would fix that.

More space could mean more desks and if manned will be able to deal with the onslaught of people in a more timely fashion. 

17 hours ago, Inala said:

Silly decision and a waste of money to build an expansion which will almost certainly lay as a white elephant for some time, till aviation recovers to former volumes.  

Same old story, what comes first, chicken or egg.

Wait till you cannot cope and then think about doing something - great policy.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Same old story, what comes first, chicken or egg.

Wait till you cannot cope and then think about doing something - great policy.

Yea great policy of having a Health Minister in charge when there is a pandemic going on, still he's obviously got plenty of time on his hands, rubbing them with glee.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Libai said:

My understanding is that the airport is slowly sinking if this is correct why are they not relocating to a much safer area?

You mean like DM that was closed in the floods.

It is Bangkok that is sinking, maybe the airports will go down with it.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cnainsider/fight-save-bangkok-sinking-watery-depths-floods-climate-change-12550382

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yea great policy of having a Health Minister in charge when there is a pandemic going on, still he's obviously got plenty of time on his hands, rubbing them with glee.

As usual an irrelevant post that had little to do with the point in question.

"Wait till you cannot cope and then think about doing something"

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

As usual an irrelevant post that had little to do with the point in question.

"Wait till you cannot cope and then think about doing something"

I expected you to ignore or deflect, I got the latter thank you.

Hear we go again, only 57 billion baht to cater for the 90million tourists coming and when do they think that is going to happen, put the money to better use or have the brown envelopes all ready been filled and handed out, maybe 1 day they will have people in Government that care about there citizens and there own country rather than there own greed and out of control corruption, not in my life time

I thought we were running out of money at the end of the month?

Along with no one is coming and just stay home for the next 5 years....  

Schools, yesh, let's build better schools with better conditions and tablets to middle school kids. 

Desk top computers for junior and high school kids! 

Lets stop killing trees and making Thailand 4.0 a reality instead of a joke.