Cataract surgery

acepredator

On 4/1/2021 at 2:40 PM, Pib said:

It would be good to hear from some folks who have monovision "and drive frequently" in how monovison affects their depth perception which is important for safe driving.

And depth perception is something that is checked when initially applying for and when renewing your Thai drivers license (or at least that's been my personal experience with my Thai drivers license). 

When I googled "monovsion depth perception" I came-up with a long list of websites saying monovision can affect depth perception, but as nearly always the degree of impact varies from individual-to-individual (just a tad to a lot), other associated eye issues the person may have, etc.    

But my overall sense from previous research (googling, youtubes, etc.,) is most people get along just fine with monovision but for some people it can cause problems.....but hey, multifocal lens can cause problems for some people also.  For me, I'm getting along just fine with my multifcoal (trifocal) IOLs since the surgery in Dec 2020....definitely no depth perception problem while driving, walking, doing anything, etc., day or night.   And I drive daily.

If possible/if not too costly, probably best to give monovision a try with contact lens for a few weeks before making a decision to go this route for IOL surgery....and of course your eye doc is the expert on this issue versus a keyboard warrior using a google sword.   

Here's one weblink I googled about choosing between monovision and multifocal IOLs.....and the article even talks about the two types of monovision....Conventional and Mini.   

Choosing between monovision and multifocals

https://www.eyeworld.org/choosing-between-monovision-and-multifocals

I have monovision since childhood.

My depth perception is very poor. But no problems at all in daily life.

I do drive, no problems. 

Actually,  I got my DL when I was 18, but I only discovered that my depth perception isn't normal when I was 28.

I also passed the Thai DL test, it was a bit tricky, though.