Facebook or rather not?

swissie

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously that basement is hidden with a secret entrance. Elementary, my dear Watson ???? 

I love the basement.....and being under a rock.....just turn a deaf ear to all the FB noise and enjoy life as it is! ????????????

And of course avoid Watson.....lol....????

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2021 at 11:38 PM, Surelynot said:

I saved all my FB history and left...fed up of their political games, people guilt tripping me into making contributions and 'forcing' me to sign petitions, although I have some doubts that my leaving will have a huge impact on FB itself.....just use WhatsApp to keep in touch now.

They won’t miss you as you haven’t really left. FB has a huge presence in everything online now, buying up many different ‘companies’, WhatsApp included 

I saved all my FB history and left...fed up of their political games, people guilt tripping me into making contributions and 'forcing' me to sign petitions, although I have some doubts that my leaving will have a huge impact on FB itself.....just use WhatsApp to keep in touch now.

I did the same. last year because various problems began to happen. I had various martial friends there and we all experienced the same thing...posters trying to turn it into a political statement. A shame really because it was a wide range platform.

• Like 1

I find Facebook useful for keeping up with family and friends back home. Quite a few organisations and clubs I am involved with use Facebook as their primary way to communicate with members, so also good for that.

If neither of those things interests you, perhaps you are a stay home sort of person, then I imagine FB offers few positive benefits.

On 3/28/2021 at 12:04 AM, KhaoNiaw said:

I'd say don't do it,

I couldn't agree more.!

It's full of garbage.!

Look at what you yourself have found.

On 3/27/2021 at 11:31 PM, swissie said:

possessed by the Devil as she showers daily stark naked

Who doesn't.?

Why would you in your own home not shower naked.?

It's weird not to, and if this is the influence FB offers it's not for me, I prefer reality.

And with a boarder outlook, who has actually seen the Devil, prove to me he exists, and for that matter prove to me that God exists.?

I can prove that man created god, can anyone prove the opposite.?

These are just human constructs, it's all in the mind, probably of the week minded.!

On 3/28/2021 at 12:06 AM, richard_smith237 said:

But really, when was the last time you wrote a letter (or an e-mail) to a friend? - Should your friends be bothered with you ?????

I haven’t written a letter or e-mailed a friend for years.

I use email for all communication that isn't face to face. No Facebook or social media or telephone. This allows me to filter information both in and out according to my own wishes and always in my own time.

I find email perfect for receiving the information that I have chosen to receive (very rarely get spam as I use a good spam filter) and of course to send information to friends and family. I rarely want to send exactly the same information to everyone, as one would on Facebook. And I don't feel inclined to tell my friends what I'm doing unless it is genuinely of interest to any of them personally (tailored to them).

Just done the calculations. I receive on average 66 emails per day. I send an average of 4 emails per day. The breakdown of emails received each day:

News, politics and analysis (all of them subscriptions): 27

Health related newsletters and research (subscriptions): 11

Banks, cc, investment (accounts and subscriptions): 9

My hobbies (subscriptions): 8

Friends: 6

Misc: 5

So, I get to read only what I have subscribed to (albeit a very wide range). No adverts or spam or contact requests or 'likes'. This for me is perfect. Couldn't do without email.

It is wise to remember that FB was founded and run by a lefty liberal, or what these days is called a "progressive". 

It seems that the unspoken rationale of FB is to make swathes of money through advertising, whilst promoting a distinct, biased agenda (under the guise of preventing "unthinking" others from being "exposed" to right-wing thought, misinformation or disinformation as decided by the "manipulators-behind-the-scenes).

In pursuit of vasts amount of advertising dollars, Face Book cleverly manipulates its readers/ users' demographics by employing directed algorithms created by psychologists. Our personal information, likes, dislikes and foibles, are all stored on its servers, and accessed according to particular marketing directions and endeavours.

It is possible that the US Congress has finally woken up to the "covert" operations of FB, Twitter, et al, and are undertaking an investigation with a view to curtailing some of the most egregious of these activities.

However, with the above caveats in mind, I personally do use Face Book, but am as judicious with it as far as I possibly can be.

So, like the other communications tools available to us in the modern era, sms, email, WhatsApp, and so on, it has a definite place in the panoply, but "handle with care"!

• Sad 1

FB owns Whats App

1 hour ago, ThailandFoodExpert said:

I consider people who do not open a FB account as stupid as people who open one with their real name and without a VPN...

forums are dead and now info are on FB, but maybe you do not care to know how the world works now...

FB forces people into information silos, quite a lot of which is conspiracy nonsense or manipulated and targeted content. Better to get your information from a variety of sources, and check everything you read.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2021 at 4:31 PM, swissie said:

Recently, I realised that I must be the only person on this globe that hasn't joined "Facebook" yet. I am torn as I have certain reservations. I noticed that some of my aquaintances that have joined, have developped some strange "trains of thought". One of them claims that the earth is flat. Another one insists that his wife must be possessed by the Devil as she showers daily stark naked. A lady-friend wears make-up resembling the one of a circus-clown, following the recomendations of an FB Lady-Influencer. The list goes on....

You are not the only one, I have several friends that are not on Facebook; to keep contact we occasionally use e-mails, and up to recently also snail-mail.

There are weird folks everywhere, but you might notice them more easily on Facebook, where people makes face or exhibit themselves a bit more easily, and especially when new sides of friends suddenly are revealed.

In general I find Facebook positive in several ways. First I can keep contact with a lot of friends, but I also meet old pals that I've not had contact with for several years, like school comrades, and the guy that sat next to me when studying aviation theory in 1968-1969, resulting in he and his wife came to Thailand to meet me after 45 years. And it's also easy to keep contact with new people you meet.

Furthermore Facebook is good to catch up with news if you follow some either news-sites – like Thaivisa news forum – or whatever is of interest, or become member of groups with mutual interest, like the Flat Earth Society that actually have members all over the Globe...????

It's easy to select, you only need to follow what is of interest, and you friends don't know that you didn't wish to follow their postings about what the are having for lunch, or which make-up they are wearing tonight; whilst it on the other side might be good to know where which clubs some the of girls are checking in at, it makes it a bit easier to plan "the night in the town"...????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThailandFoodExpert said:

I consider people who do not open a FB account as stupid as people who open one with their real name and without a VPN...

forums are dead and now info are on FB, but maybe you do not care to know how the world works now...

So as far as you are concerned FB is now standard by which people are graded. If it has more members like you it is the place where not to be.

On 3/27/2021 at 4:39 PM, jak2002003 said:

If they won't stay in touch with you by phone, email or writing a letter then why are you still bothered with them?

I ditched Facebook years ago. I gave my friends my e mail and if they were too lazy or felt not included to keep in touch with me that's their loss 

Life is too short for plastic friends that want you to 'like' all their fabulous enhanced staged photos of how fun and fantastic their life is, or how they are suffering more than anyone else, or get angry with you if you don't comment on one of their 'causes' or posts. 

Pretty much word for word what I was gonna post. 
People use the excuse about keeping in touch with family etc as in reality they don't want to let go and cut their ties to fb. 
Like you I stopped using it years ago don’t miss it on iota. 
There are only so many photos of what people are eating one can take. 
It’s a desperate attention seeking haven for lonely people trying to pretend they are not desperate attention seeking lonely people. 

On 3/31/2021 at 4:56 PM, Kadilo said:

Pretty much word for word what I was gonna post. 
People use the excuse about keeping in touch with family etc as in reality they don't want to let go and cut their ties to fb. 
Like you I stopped using it years ago don’t miss it on iota. 
There are only so many photos of what people are eating one can take. 
It’s a desperate attention seeking haven for lonely people trying to pretend they are not desperate attention seeking lonely people. 

Or, its just easier with FB....  I agree with you, I don’t want to ‘let go’... All of my friends are on Facebook, they post nice photos of their families etc, it's nice to see. I don’t want to cut that out of my life. 

Some people I am friends with on Facebook are old school friends, those I was friends with in my younger primary school years and I lost touch with through secondary school, we still know each other, remember each other - its nice to see what they are up to now and send a message from time to time. These are people I wouldn’t make the effort to keep in touch with regularly, but when waling through the town and I bump into them its nice to stop and say hello. 

So... Facebook is kind of like that... 'its nice to stop and say hello’ without having to make the special effort of dedicated e-mails etc.... Lazy? call it that if you will, for me it adds a platform for communication which I don’t need, but otherwise wouldn’t exist in my life and its a 'nice to have’.

Those who habitually post ‘food photos’ or over-do-it can simply be ignored or hidden, its not a big deal. 

It's interesting that there are those who don’t use FB being quite outspoken and vocal against Facebook. If they are not interested in using Facebook I am wonder why they feel the need to post on a thread about facebook !!!!

I’m not interested in using twitter, snapchat or TikTok and simply wouldn’t be bothered about posting on a thread about those platforms because I simply have no interest in using them, but don’t need to justify that reason to a bunch of strangers !

• 2 weeks later...

I opened my FB account years back in the hope of catching up with a Belgian friend in the US and not seen in decades.

That friend is still off FB but i got on since with an old GF in Belgium and two years ago an Army classmate from decades ago messaged me to ask what I had been. And an old colleague from my days in Katanga..

I post news article I like but do not engage in conversations. I do it more like a news relay.

I've had a few FB strikes against me for comments I made so I don't comment anything anymore. 

For the most part my FB "Friends" are of my political leanings so I don't get abuse.

My personal info on FB is no more than what new buddies in a farang bar here in TH or elsewhere would get from me.

Anyway I found the Messenger part of FB essential. My Thai wife and I use it a lot.

I so correspond often with my stepsister in Belgium.

E-mails are useful but Messenger makes for direct contact with such ease of sending pictures and smartphone VDO clips.

One can indeed converse on Messenger.