Facebook or rather not?

swissie

This is from my firewall on my Android tablet. I don't have Facebook installed and have nothing to do with it and only a browser is active at the moment. Endless (here are only some displayed because of the space) accesses by Facebook. I block all of them. 

16168619965321.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Oldie said:

This is from my firewall on my Android tablet. I don't have Facebook installed and have nothing to do with it and only a browser is active at the moment. Endless (here are only some displayed because of the space) accesses by Facebook. I block all of them. 

16168619965321.jpg

Almost any website has fb icons. They all try to connect to fb.

Personally I just ignore them.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I don’t use Facebook, and rarely use any of the other social media apps. The problem is that people are getting their news from these sites, and they are bombarded by algorithm driven propaganda. And that’s why practically everyone you ever knew in your life has turned into a conspiracy theorist and general nut job. So I think you are better off without it.

I would recommend watching the Netflix documentary “Social Dilemma”, where insiders expose big tech.

The blind leading the blind is major issue, dumbed down often incorrect and inflammatory information summarised in a GIF or a Meme...    I’ve seen so many ‘fake images’ and news stories, people love to spread them. 

This is an awful trait of Facebook and ‘some’ of its users... But, it still is a useful tool for keeping in touch with friends and family. We just have to skip the BS, tosh, fakenews, dumb GIF’s etc...  

But, there is also some very very funny and creative stuff out there on facebook, its not all bad, but certainly its not all good...  It works for me. 

• Like 2

For everybody who doesn't know much about fb but things about joining fb I recommend you first get an idea what you are doing.

I remember some news articles from years ago from school kids who talked about their parents joining fb. It was hilarious.

Like: father likes the local meeting of the golf club. And he likes the picture of the new grandson.

And then he also likes the NRA. And after that he likes that picture with the girl with the big tits.

It must be fun to watch what some people like.

• Like 2

I don't like Facebook and I am not a member. But not everything is bad I have to admit. Sometimes for instance complaints by people motivate government agencies to act if people complain there about something. Sure there are two options. They could act against the complaining people or fix the problems... 

Edited by Oldie
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand that fb shows all that information. But what I find difficult to understand why so many people believe all that $#$@. Why? It seems if one person tells us the earth is flat we think that guy is a nutter. But if 100 "friends" like that story then in must be true. Really? How stupid are those people? And don't they watch any news outside of fb?

To answer your question, very stupid, and probably haven’t read a traditional newspaper in years. No one gave a toss about the EU or Scottish nationalism until the rise of smart phones and social media. In the US you have a psyops operation like Qanon being used to garner votes for Trump, and scum like Cambridge Analytica using manipulative propaganda to nudge voting intentions. Culminating in a young guy with a loaded gun being arrested outside Comet pizza in DC on a quest to save children locked in the “basement” being served up to paedophiles. If he had got inside his first problem would be to find a basement it doesn’t have. Social media has made the world angry and mad. 

• Like 2

I deleted my original account because I'm not interested in people posting photos about what they've eaten, where they are.

I opened a new one a couple years ago, good for following news, groups. News is often a day ahead of thaivisa. You can follow groups and post similar to here.

Market Place very good for buying and selling.

People constantly posting about themselves still bores me but now I snooze them for 30 days.

Don't worry about the "friends" nonsense. I generally don't add friends unless someone I know adds me, it's actually more of a pain because Facebook is constantly sending friend recommendations based on friend contacts.

I recommend the app, get it, same as a smartphone really, everyone should have one

Edited by scubascuba3

I just in the last year joined FB, I don't post pics, it's a way to see pics of my grandkids regularly, my son and I use it for quick exchanges, if you're in the market to rent or buy here in Thailand FB is a fabulous source. It's only evil if you let it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AlexRich said:

To answer your question, very stupid, and probably haven’t read a traditional newspaper in years. No one gave a toss about the EU or Scottish nationalism until the rise of smart phones and social media. In the US you have a psyops operation like Qanon being used to garner votes for Trump, and scum like Cambridge Analytica using manipulative propaganda to nudge voting intentions. Culminating in a young guy with a loaded gun being arrested outside Comet pizza in DC on a quest to save children locked in the “basement” being served up to paedophiles. If he had got inside his first problem would be to find a basement it doesn’t have. Social media has made the world angry and mad. 

Obviously that basement is hidden with a secret entrance. Elementary, my dear Watson ???? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Don't worry about the "friends" nonsense. I generally don't add friends unless someone I know adds me, it's actually more of a pain because Facebook is constantly sending friend recommendations based on friend contacts.

My dummy fb page has zero friends. But every couple of weeks when I open it I have lots of friends suggestions. It must be my inactivity that attracks them. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

if you're in the market to rent or buy here in Thailand FB is a fabulous source

Can you please explain that part. I just looked for condominiums for sale in Bangkok. They started with 5,000B and then many in the 10,000THB area. What a fabulous price to buy a condo! 

Ok, then I searched for 5,000,000 up and I found more. Lots of pictures and no map. Is there somewhere a better search function?

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Can you please explain that part. I just looked for condominiums for sale in Bangkok. They started with 5,000B and then many in the 10,000THB area. What a fabulous price to buy a condo! 

Ok, then I searched for 5,000,000 up and I found more. Lots of pictures and no map. Is there somewhere a better search function?

Can't really help, I just look at the pictures. I know what you mean about the advertised money, I don't understand it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, swissie said:

Recently, I realized that I must be the only person on this globe that hasn't joined "Facebook" yet.

Nothing wrong with facebook, if you don't want to join it, don't.

I check mine every day.

I like pictures sent by family & friends of new motorbikes & cars also of  grandchildren and great grandchild.

Messengers is good and family use it as a chat because of time difference.

Myself, family & friends can arrange time for free mobile phone calls to one-another.

Some good live video stream to look at sometimes.

I "joined" Facebook just to be able to read public content without annoying "sign up"/join messages.

"Joined" ignoring FBs terms: not a single information (name, birthday, location etc.) relates to my real identity.

For location I suggest "Nowhere/Idaho". Sounds like a quiet place.

Email is some arbitrary account used for such purpose.

I have exactly two friends (somewhat real) who know me from that FB ID.

No other "networking" on FB.

With my obvious fake data I was accepted at two Thailand related FB groups.

For best acceptance select a name that sounds plausible and a location different from Nowhere ????

Messaging done with LINE or Signal.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My dummy fb page has zero friends. But every couple of weeks when I open it I have lots of friends suggestions. It must be my inactivity that attracks them. 

the problem is guys have troll accounts on facebook, a weird I know but they do it. Yours would probably look like a troll account, no photos, no friends

Edited by scubascuba3