Myanmar security forces kill over 100 protesters in 'horrifying' day of bloodshed

rooster59

On 3/28/2021 at 8:40 AM, rooster59 said:

the killings, which took place on Armed Forces Day

Quote from another media source:-

"Coup leader Min Aung Hlaing and his generals still threw a lavish party that night for Armed Forces Day".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56547381

If only:-

Edited by metisdead
Trolling image removed.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Salerno said:

More to the point, how can the troops on the ground open fire on their own people. Surely by now there must be more of them close to mutiny or at least mass desertion.

I agree.  Was trying to put myself in the place of a soldier receiving these kinds of orders and imagining how long it would be before I turned on my officers.  The problem with this of course is that I end up seeing the world through my eyes.  I have no clue how soldiers there would see things ... their values, initiative, resolve etc.  Living in Thailand these last 31 years, if anything, has shown me that people here value life differently than I do (differently no necessarily less).  Might Burma be the same or or different in its own way?

On 3/28/2021 at 8:40 AM, rooster59 said:

Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, the junta leader, said during a parade to mark Armed Forces Day that the military would protect the people and strive for democracy.

Considering what he says, he has a very undemocratic way of showing it.

On 3/28/2021 at 9:54 AM, RichardColeman said:

Think you will find Thailand is more worried about migrant refugees having covid than helping the Myanmar people. "Welcome to Thailand - here's a nice barbed wired area."

I read yesterday that Myanmar families were fleeing across the border to Thailand but were pushed back by Thai troops and were then shot by the Myanmar army . So it appears that the Thailand military is aiding and condoning the slaughter . I just wondering if Myanmar was rich in say valuable minerals  and / or oil , the situation may have attracted some western support for the Myanmar folk . 

The main reason for turning a blind eye by western countries is that if they impose an outside influence there will be a reaction from either China or Russia , so defeating the Myanmar army alone is straightforward but throw in 2 of the big boys into the mixis a different scenario .  The only way out is for the end of the resistance or the undercover infiltration of skilled western troops plus arming the Myanmar citizens .  

I find it difficult to understand how the Myanmar army can fire on their own people , especially children .

• Thanks 1

[quote]

I just wondering if Myanmar was rich in say valuable minerals  and / or oil , the situation may have attracted some western support for the Myanmar folk . 

[/quote]

Myanmar is extremely rich in these!  Offshore oil is plentiful (Total Oil is a partner in the drilling), and many precious rubies and other gemstones etc are mined for the benefit of the Burmese military.....

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, superal said:

I find it difficult to understand how the Myanmar army can fire on their own people , especially children .

They have been doing this since the first coup in 1962 led by despot General Ne Win. For reference (wikipedia):-

The period from 1962-1988 can be divided into two phases. The first phase is the period of direct military rule from 1962-1974 and Constitutional Dictatorship phase from 1974 to 1988.[3] In 2011, the military junta was officially dissolved, following a 2010 general election, until February 2021!

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

I just wondering if Myanmar was rich in say valuable minerals  and / or oil , the situation may have attracted some western support for the Myanmar folk . 

[/quote]

Myanmar is extremely rich in these!  Offshore oil is plentiful (Total Oil is a partner in the drilling), and many precious rubies and other gemstones etc are mined for the benefit of the Burmese military.....

JADE, timber, teak, gems, Oil
Burma is much richer in natural resources than nearby Thailand, Laos &  Cambodia

Edited by zzzzz

The Shan, (The Shan State Army-North), the Kachin, (The Kachin Independence Army & The Arakan Army ) & the Karen, ( The Karen National Liberation Army) are already armed and have been battle hardened for decades

BUT unfortunately dont have tanks & planes, nor the numbers to take on a civil war

this is why things will only go straight to hell if there is a civil war

Each color on the map is a separate indigenous army.
Each is bound by its own web of allies and rivals, its own history and language. Its own means of acquiring money/weapons/ammo. Many w/ semi-discreet links to China, Thailand, the US or India.

Exsn8omUYAY7W3e?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thanks 1

Insurgent groups need to attack now while the opportunity is there. If they wait the junta is going to wipe them out one by one when things calm down since they feel threatened now. Never hesitate!

They do have the numbers needed if they welcome the fighting aged populace in towards their secure areas from the cities and can deploy them in a coordinated manner which they are skilled to do.

The junta is currently blocking roads out of the cities. First step is to clear the roads of roadblocks so fighters can flee towards insurgent areas where they can be armed and organized.

Edited by DerbyDan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

Insurgent groups need to attack now while the opportunity is there. If they wait the junta is going to wipe them out one by one when things calm down since they feel threatened now. Never hesitate!

They do have the numbers needed if they welcome the fighting aged populace in towards their secure areas from the cities and can deploy them in a coordinated manner which they are skilled to do.

The junta is currently blocking roads out of the cities. First step is to clear the roads of roadblocks so fighters can flee towards insurgent areas where they can be armed and organized.

LOL
they haven't "wiped them out" in the past 70 years 
you really dont follow Burma much do ya?  they are armed and well trained an have been for decades.  They  seldom ever attack the Burmese forces, UNLESS the Burmese army comes into their territory.  They do NOT have the logistics to carry the war to the junta

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zzzzz said:

LOL
they haven't "wiped them out" in the past 70 years 
you really dont follow Burma much do ya?  they are armed and well trained an have been for decades.  They  seldom ever attack the Burmese forces, UNLESS the Burmese army comes into their territory.  They do NOT have the logistics to carry the war to the junta

I don't think the junta will just leave them alone. That's what control freaks do is control everything. Add in a dose of paranoia. Sooner or later they are going to want to control what you are doing, not in your best interest, or drive you out.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, zzzzz said:

The Shan, (The Shan State Army-North), the Kachin, (The Kachin Independence Army & The Arakan Army ) & the Karen, ( The Karen National Liberation Army) are already armed and have been battle hardened for decades

BUT unfortunately dont have tanks & planes, nor the numbers to take on a civil war

this is why things will only go straight to hell if there is a civil war

Each color on the map is a separate indigenous army.
Each is bound by its own web of allies and rivals, its own history and language. Its own means of acquiring money/weapons/ammo. Many w/ semi-discreet links to China, Thailand, the US or India.

Exsn8omUYAY7W3e?format=jpg&name=large

That map kind of remind me of Yugoslavia, before the civil war. 

4 hours ago, zzzzz said:

They  seldom ever attack the Burmese forces, UNLESS the Burmese army comes into their territory.  They do NOT have the logistics to carry the war to the junta

But this where the potential power of the militias in Northern Burma could have great effect - the Chinese gas and oil pipelines traversing their "territory". This may be one reason why China supports the junta and its latest coup. For reference:-

10 March 2021 12:10 GMT UPDATED  10 March 2021 15:35 GMT
in  Singapore

The bloody unrest in Myanmar following last month's military coup has taken an ominous turn as some pro-democracy movement supporters call for attacks on Chinese infrastructure and businesses inside Myanmar.

Online threats and growing unrest could further disrupt the country's oil and gas operations and discourage foreign investment in the sector.

The targets of threats include the parallel onshore pipelines that transport oil and gas produced at Posco's Shwe field offshore Myanmar from Kyauk Phyu in Myanmar's Rakhine (Arakan) state to Kunming in Yunnan, China.

https://www.upstreamonline.com/politics/myanmars-chinese-operated-pipelines-threatened-amid-fresh-coup-protests/2-1-977472

• Like 1