One dead, multiple wounded in stabbing at Vancouver-area library, suspect in custody

rooster59

By Jennifer Gauthier

2021-03-28T002811Z_1_LYNXMPEH2R00R_RTROPTP_4_CANADA-CRIME-LIBRARY.JPG

Police personnel respond to a crime scene at the Lynn Valley Main Library, where police said multiple people were stabbed by a suspect who was later taken into custody, in the Lynn Valley neighbourhood of North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada March 27, 2021. REUTERS/Jennifer Gauthier

NORTH VANCOUVER, Canada (Reuters) - One person is dead and multiple others were wounded in a stabbing at a public library in an affluent Vancouver suburb on Saturday, and a suspect, who apparently acted alone, was taken into custody.

Canada's Global News reported one death, citing homicide police, who were not immediately available to confirm. No details were provided.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said "multiple victims" were stabbed inside and outside the North Vancouver Library and that one suspect was in custody.

It "appears this was a lone suspect," the RCMP said on Twitter, adding that it was still looking for "potential additional victims."

Amy Robertson of B.C. Emergency Health Services said six people were taken to the hospital and that she was unable to release details on their condition, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp (CBC) reported earlier.

"We were driving up ... and there was a woman right beside her car with a 7-year-old boy, multiple stab wounds and bleeding profusely ... She said it was a random stabber who was running down the street," a witness who gave his name as Steve told Canada's Global News.

North Vancouver is a mostly quiet and wealthy suburb with about 85,000 people on the north side of Burrard Inlet, Vancouver's primary port. In 2019, North Vancouver was ranked 10th on Maclean's magazine list of the richest Canadian communities with an average household net worth of nearly C$2 million.

Two bridges and a foot ferry connect North Vancouver to the city of Vancouver. North Vancouver is also a popular destination for hiking and skiing, with part of the North Shore mountain range within its boundaries.

(Reporting by Steve Scherer; Editing by Daniel Wallis and Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-03-28

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

How many senseless killings have to happen before we institute knife control?

Whilst I agree with you, it wouldn't work. Unfortunately we live in increasingly violent times and a great number of those in government and 'control' wouldn't dare to impose the necessary restrictions. Freedom and all that ?  

I worked a Saturday morning job on a farm in the UK in the 60's and 70's. Caught the bus straight from my job to a major football match in the city; all the time carrying my 6 inch sheath knife.  Would have never considered for a fraction of a second to use it on anyone.

Feel sorry for anyone growing up today in this increasingly violent  world. Thanks a lot to many of my generation that have led us to this point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

In the UK in recent years they've been going on about "getting tough" on knife crime. It came as no surprise last week when a guy was up in court for pulling a knife on a police officer. He got a non-custodial sentence.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, DaLa said:

Feel sorry for anyone growing up today in this increasingly violent  world. Thanks a lot to many of my generation that have led us to this point.

Not sure the present world is more violent than earlier centuries'.  Think only of the (uncounted) millions who were slaughtered in WW1 and WW2,, plus Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Soviet gulags, Nazi Holocaust, Pol Pot, Vietnam War, and (just to stop somewhere), the Chicago of Al Capone.

The violence today is mostly insidious, arising from the hypocritical actions of politicians of all stripes in all countries, and not to mention the conduct of "celebs" who tell  everyone to act one way while they act in another (to suit themselves).  Inequality thrives, and anger builds with it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

I am glad you said it because it was what I was thinking.  Then it occurred to me that saying so publicly was disrespectful to the suffering the victims are undergoing.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, rwill said:

Let's not forget a vehicle ban too.  Without checking I would guess they kill more than knives and guns combined.

Which you have restrictions before you can use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sujo said:

Some places do have knife control.

Lucky he didnt have a gun.

1 hour ago, Kelsall said:

Yes, Canada, where this crime occurred, being one.

Uhm... what u on aboot Kelly?

Carrying a knife is legal in B.C., as long it is not spring-loaded and not concealed, other than by a sheath.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

In the UK we have had such for some time; Selling, buying and carrying knives

It’s illegal to:

• sell a knife to anyone under 18, unless it has a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less
  • carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less
  • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
  • use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife)

There is also a long list of banned knives and weapons on that page.

Of course, unfortunately, this does not mean there is no knife crime in the UK. Knife crime is a problem amongst the urban youth and since the murder of Lee Rigby in 2013, knives, machetes and swords have been regularly used in terrorist attacks.

But I wonder how much worse those problems would be if the perpetrators had easy access to guns.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

In the UK, unless doing so will aid in their capture or there is some other operational reason for so doing, suspects are not named until charged.

I suspect that the same applies in Canada.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed

7 hours ago, billsmart said:

The question really should be, "How many more people would this person have wounded or killed if he had had a gun?" 

I'm a US citizen, and I'm for repealing our 2nd Amendment and making owning a gun a privilege. like having a driver's license, rather than a right.

Here is my op-ed about this which I wrote in 2012... 

http://www.billsmart.com/writing/opinion/2nd_amendment/2nd_amendment.htm

I read your piece. You should start a thread to try and discuss it a length.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, billsmart said:

The question really should be, "How many more people would this person have wounded or killed if he had had a gun?" 

I'm a US citizen, and I'm for repealing our 2nd Amendment and making owning a gun a privilege. like having a driver's license, rather than a right.

Here is my op-ed about this which I wrote in 2012... 

http://www.billsmart.com/writing/opinion/2nd_amendment/2nd_amendment.htm

Why don't we just burn the whole Constitution and be done with it? Why have one? 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, 7by7 said:

In the UK, unless doing so will aid in their capture or there is some other operational reason for so doing, suspects are not named until charged.

I suspect that the same applies in Canada.

As well as being irrelevant, your assertion is also factually incorrect. I may not be British but I do pay some attention to events over there. From memory most terror events there were carried out by ISIS affiliated terrorists, such as the Arianne Grande attack and the Parsons Green attack, both by "refugees" - wasn't the Parsons Green bomber also found to have been significantly older than he claimed and nobody cared to check!? - and it took forever for the details to finally be admitted. There was ONE vehicle attack by an ethnic Brit, with a memorable name that made him sound like one of Ozzy Osbournes relations, and the guy was named and photographed within minutes. So, nice try, no sale.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

The big difference is that a knife( in all it's varieties)  is an entirely proper legal tool, designed and used for a variety of legitimate purposes, and only a weapon when misused as such. 

A gun however is designed as and made as a weapon, whose sole real purpose is to kill.

Whilst on the subject of tools, I am surprised that no-one has suggested that this would not have happened if all librarians were armed!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, blazes said:

Not sure the present world is more violent than earlier centuries'.  Think only of the (uncounted) millions who were slaughtered in WW1 and WW2,, plus Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Soviet gulags, Nazi Holocaust, Pol Pot, Vietnam War, and (just to stop somewhere), the Chicago of Al Capone.

The violence today is mostly insidious, arising from the hypocritical actions of politicians of all stripes in all countries, and not to mention the conduct of "celebs" who tell  everyone to act one way while they act in another (to suit themselves).  Inequality thrives, and anger builds with it. 

Absolutely correct, and in that context my statement was a long way from accurate.  I was probably day dreaming that we as a society had learned from the past and were progressing as a more humane and civilised group due to the benefit of education.

If anything it's more appropriate to use the words 'needless' and 'senseless' to your examples.

• Like 1