Expired UK photocard

Thanks, but I don't have access to the post at that UK address any more, and to change address you have to declare you are currently UK resident, how long you've lived at the new address, etc. and I can't do that right now either, so until I can, I can't renew it.

On 3/28/2021 at 10:38 AM, northsouthdevide said:

You can renew your UK one online using your passport number, then get it sent to you in Thailand.

I did it recently quick and easy.

Do you mean the DVLA mailed it to a UK address that your licence is registered at and you then had someone at that address forward it? I don't think DVLA will accept or mail to an overseas address.

On 3/28/2021 at 3:57 PM, Polar Bear said:

Is it possible to get a Thai DL on the basis of a UK one, if the UK photocard has expired? (The entitlements on the back are still well within date.)

To use a UK DL to get a Thai licence requires a valid UK licence, an expired licence is not valid.   There's a chance that they may not notice but I doubt it.

On 3/28/2021 at 4:38 PM, northsouthdevide said:

You can renew your UK one online using your passport number, then get it sent to you in Thailand.

I did it recently quick and easy.

Can you please post here how you did it? If you got it forwarded from a UK address can you just say.

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

To use a UK DL to get a Thai licence requires a valid UK licence, an expired licence is not valid.   There's a chance that they may not notice but I doubt it.

They won't look if its wrapped in a 500 baht note.

On 4/1/2021 at 2:51 PM, scubascuba3 said:
On 4/1/2021 at 12:10 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

An IDP is not required, just a valid UK licence.  

More requirements if no IDP

Nonsense, there is no requirement for applicants to produce an IDP, only a valid licence is required.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, scubascuba3 said:

ask them the latest requirements. Guy next to me without IDP said he had to do something additional

There are none, regardless of what "that guy next to you" allegedly said.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Can you please post here how you did it? If you got it forwarded from a UK address can you just say.

I also did mine online , had it sent to the UK address that is on my license , then had that person send it to me here .

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

I think you need to stop posting false information.

I am not posting false information.  Since when has an IDP, in addition to a valid UK driving licence in English, been a requirement to get a Thai licence and at which LTD office? 

Two years ago I replaced an expired Thai licence with a new temporary licence and that was recently replaced by a five-year licence.  On neither occasion was an IDP required but why would it be when an IDP is not a licence?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I am not posting false information.  Since when has an IDP, in addition to a valid UK driving licence in English, been a requirement to get a Thai licence and at which LTD office? 

Two years ago I replaced an expired Thai licence with a new temporary licence and that was recently replaced by a five-year licence.  On neither occasion was an IDP required but why would it be when an IDP is not a licence?

Nobody changing from a 2 year to a 5 year license is asked for an IDP, so why are you coming up with that?

Applying for your first Thai license, home country license and IDP are required, unless you take the written test and driving test.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Amazes me how people will spout nonsense without double checking. This is from Pattaya City Expats, a good source

Screenshot_2021-04-03-05-25-17-518_com.android.chrome.jpg

What makes that third-party article correct when personal experience of the process on more than one occasion refutes it?   

I have never been required to produce an IDP to get either a temporary Thai licence or a "full" Thai licence based on my (English language) UK licence .  To make an IDP a requirement would not make any sense as an IDP (a) is not a licence, it's a translation, and (b) it is not valid for more than 12 months.  How could anyone living in Thailand, for example, ever be able to produce a UK IDP when they have to be applied for in person in the UK unless you have appointed an proxy?

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Nobody changing from a 2 year to a 5 year license is asked for an IDP, so why are you coming up with that?

Applying for your first Thai license, home country license and IDP are required, unless you take the written test and driving test.

I didn't "come up" with that!  I'm going on personal experience. Two years ago I replaced a long-expired Thai licence with a new temporary licence and that was recently replaced by a five-year licence.  On neither occasion was a UK IDP required.

What you claim is not correct.  No IDP is required, at least not in the Bangkok LTD office that issued my recent licences, nor the Minburi LTD that issued my first Thai licence 20-odd years ago.   

46 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I didn't "come up" with that!  I'm going on personal experience. Two years ago I replaced a long-expired Thai licence with a new temporary licence and that was recently replaced by a five-year licence.  On neither occasion was a UK IDP required.

What you claim is not correct.  No IDP is required, at least not in the Bangkok LTD office that issued my recent licences, nor the Minburi LTD that issued my first Thai licence 20-odd years ago.   

are you special needs? none of us are referring to renewal of existing thai driving licences

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 4:51 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Your licence has expired so shouldn't accept it plus they usually want to see an IDP, but you could try or even better try an agent maybe they can pull strings

The wife of a friend of mine has been driving here for many years... suddenly decided it would be a good idea to get a license ... of course she failed the test... he says she is dangerous with the lawn mower.

Guy at the local LTO offered her one for 4000thb... maybe a ‘special price’ for a Thai married to a foreigner ... she said I’ll think about it... stupid as years past the going rate was 100thb...

As an aside my wife, like myself now own an expired UK license... in 2007, when we relocated here  I brought an IDP with me as read it would be needed.

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

are you special needs? none of us are referring to renewal of existing thai driving licences

I was giving examples of my personal experience with DL applications in order to justify that what I was saying was correct, so, no, I am not "special needs" [sic] but thank you for the offensive insult suggesting that I may be. 

An IDP is not required in addition to a valid UK licence to apply for a Thai licence and to be exempted from certain parts of the process.

Edited by Liverpool Lou