Correct visa for non-o or volunteer visa?

1) What would be the correct visa to apply for from abroad if I want to get a non-o visa or volunteer visa in Thailand?

2) Can I apply for the initial visa from abroad online?

3) And once I'm in Thailand, within how many days should I apply for 1 of these 2 kinds of visas?

1. If you want to apply for a change of visa status within Thailand, you must enter with a tourist visa or visa exemption.
  2. Yes, you can apply from abroad, but arranging a visa for volunteer purposes from overseas is not easy, and may not qualify for a COE.
  3. Applying for a change of visa status requires at least 15 days (sometimes 21 days) left on your tourist permission to stay.
  • Thanks 1

Depends on your circumstances.

If you already have an organization for which you will volunteer they should provide the required documents for you to apply for a non-o visa at your embassy before you come to Thailand.

If you don't have this yet, you would enter with a tourist visa or visa exempt and once you have a volunteering position you would apply for the non-o visa at an immigration office.

A "volunteer visa" is a "non-o" visa, the correct terminology would be "non-o volunteer visa"

Edited by jackdd

5 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

What is the status for those on a non-o volunteer extension in Thailand now?

Is it possible to leave and return with a re-entry permit?

You can get a re-entry permit to protect any permission to stay. However, at the current time, it should be recognised that a return will necessitate a COE, mandatory quarantine and Covid insurance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

Good question... I haven't heard of anybody yet... Re-entry stamp is easy part, but getting COE is whole other ballgame (only issued to volunteers with working permit, it seems)

18 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Good question... I haven't heard of anybody yet... Re-entry stamp is easy part, but getting COE is whole other ballgame (only issued to volunteers with working permit, it seems)

I looked at a couple of embassy websites and having a work permit is not mentioned as a requirement for volunteers to get a COE.

I suggest though that he contact the embassy that would be issuing the COE to confirm what they require.

9 minutes ago, moldresistant said:

Get an Elite Visa if you want to stay long without much hassle.

Can you give him chop out  with the 500k+?

The OP has given almost zip info. He may be looking for 6 or 12 month stay. Purely guesswork. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Can you give him chop out to help with the 500k+?

The OP has given almost zip info. He may be looking for 6 or 12 month stay. Purely guesswork. 

Apparently they raised the 5-year to 600k now.

Fair point, it all depends on how long you plan to stay. Two tourist visas with extensions would get you 6 months.

For me, going back-to-back tourist visas over 5 years was actually more expensive than the Elite Visa, when figuring in travel expenses.

Then there's the "cost" of time spent on visas to consider.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I looked at a couple of embassy websites and having a work permit is not mentioned as a requirement for volunteers to get a COE.

I suggest though that he contact the embassy that would be issuing the COE to confirm what they require.

COE website requires from applicant to select visa status, I only see these similar options:

8. Work permit holder - Volunteer or NGO - (O)

11. Long stay visitor (non-O)

Without work permit, could they choose number 11. ('Non-O' option)?

Just curious... I have Volunteer Non-O (no work permit, like others), planned to go to Europe for the summer, but would rather stay here if return on Volunteer Non-O is doubtful, it's valid till December.

15 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Just curious... I have Volunteer Non-O (no work permit, like others), planned to go to Europe for the summer, but would rather stay here if return on Volunteer Non-O is doubtful, it's valid till December.

Any work requires a work permit, this includes volunteering. You are not supposed to have an extension for volunteering if you don't have a work permit, which is why the MFA only lists "Work permit holder - Volunteer or NGO".

I don't know if the agent who arranges the extension also attaches copies of a fake work permit to your application, or if the IO just ignores it, but that's obviously another indicator that these volunteer extensions are shady.

Edited by jackdd
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Without work permit, could they choose number 11. ('Non-O' option)?

As i wrote before it would best to confirm with the embassy what is required to get the COE. For most extensions of stay based upon volunteer work a work permit is not required. Working with a NGO might require it.

Leaving for a long period of time with a volunteer extestension and re-entry permit might result in questioning about why you were able to be outside the country for so long when you enter the country.

4 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Just one person's opinion .....if your extension based on volunteering is from an agent then pre covid you may have needed explanation when reenter. Would not be difficult.

Now with COE etc, I would suggest that would not be the case for your extension based on volunteering, most likely did not come with work permit. 

Agent assisted retirement extension different story.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For most extensions of stay based upon volunteer work a work permit is not required.

Yep my volunteer visa has no work permit, I double-checked with another immigration office, they said it's legit.

I asked my agent if any of their V-visa customers went abroad and got back to Thailand, they said no... I'll just stay here.

• Like 1