Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Pattaya checkpoints are back! Police report widespread law breaking on the roads

webfact

12 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Yeah right! You can fool some of the people some of the time, but...............................................!

Actually your perceived assumption above is wrong I believe.

I went through one checkpoint on the railway road yesterday.

All officers were polite, efficient, wearing masks. I did not look for bodycams, so can't comment on that)

There were two (2) video cameras set up on tripods covering the operation area. 

So all I can say is the new checkpoint I passed through is a big step up from previous years.

Hopefully they keep it up, especially if it gets drunk and drug influenced people off the roads, which hopefully could help reduce the amazing amount of daily accidents (average 60-70 killed every day on Thai roads).

Edited by couchpotato

Are you people  that stupid. I would say that 90% of Thai people  don`t have a licence. 90% don`t know how to drive. 90% don`t no the Highway code. It`s not surprising why there are so many accidents on the roads . Its really not rocket science. Also the Thai roads are not good.

They put  around about near me . The Thai stop on it give way to approaching traffic. What is that all about. They have no idea. Its not 100% there problem.  They should have better training.

Also kids should not be riding bike. Maybe Thai government don't like kids. This so wrong.

Kids are kids. Look after them.

My smart dad has an un safe car and no licence. What the <deleted>.

4 minutes ago, ray666 said:

Are you people  that stupid. I would say that 90% of Thai people  don`t have a licence. 90% don`t know how to drive. 90% don`t no the Highway code. It`s not surprising why there are so many accidents on the roads . Its really not rocket science. Also the Thai roads are not good.

They put  around about near me . The Thai stop on it give way to approaching traffic. What is that all about. They have no idea. Its not 100% there problem.  They should have better training.

Also kids should not be riding bike. Maybe Thai government don't like kids. This so wrong.

6 hours ago, Aomelia said:
9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

That picture of Mr. Farang sums a lot of it up for me

4pm.jpg

Expand  

Dopey Mall Cops  come to Thailand to play Cop , Why would a Farang arrive from a Western Country to play Policeman, Absolutely Pathetic Cretins 

So you can see that policeman is a foreigner?

I can't see that since I don't see his face, and some Thais are white skinned, maybe he's a Luk khrueng with Thai nationality.

I'm aware that there are foreign police volunteers, but as far as I'm aware they are not allowed to write tickets

9 hours ago, Guderian said:

If they enforced all ten of those things strictly, there would hardly be a driver left on the roads here, lol!

It's nowt to do with safety etc and all to do with generating a few baht so they can pay their new car loans , gambling debts and mistresses .. it's been this way for years , 500 baht to the cops or 5000 baht to the judge , no brainer really , they know it and the punters know it , it's why nobody respects the police here.

1 hour ago, ray666 said:

Once I'd deciphered this post (still don't really understand the last 5 lines).

Anyway saying 90% of thai drivers don't have a licence is plain stupid. Maybe some farmers or people in remote areas don't bother, but of course most everyday car/vehicle drivers have licences.

I will concur that their driving is diabolical at times, and I usually drive defensibly (especially with motorbike drivers) as always expecting some crazy dangerous manoeuvre. 

1 hour ago, Susco said:

So you can see that policeman is a foreigner?

I can't see that since I don't see his face, and some Thais are white skinned, maybe he's a Luk khrueng with Thai nationality.

I'm aware that there are foreign police volunteers, but as far as I'm aware they are not allowed to write tickets

Actually I was making the point of a policeman targeting foreigners. I rarely see Thais pulled over in the same numbers as farangs with handy cash ????

• Like 1

Got one this week up in the NE... merging far enough back to

one lane for police stop... tapped the brakes 2-3 times squeezing in.. 400 baht was on the way to Udon Thai IO.

My guess would be 75% of cars stopped and told pull into 

the vacant lot...  would’ve argued but not worth the hassle..

good thing although it was past lunch closing hour at IO..

i was in and out in 5 minutes or less... I wasn’t actually in

i was in the outside tented area..

8 hours ago, rioD said:

In Pattaya it seems most of the check points prioritize stopping and checking foreigners not Thai's or any sort of equal screening.

I've seen the opposite of that where they let farang through and stop Thais, probably because from experience they know farang get licences and pay tax and insurance.

Huge one on Sukhumvit stops  every bike.

But I'm confident the stop outside Soi 9 does target tourists

Edited by scubascuba3

15 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

That is a pointless correlation. I have several motorbikes, one licence. A lot of thai families have one motorbike licence and many people who ride it.

The license is for the person not the motorcycle, that's why it has a person's photo on it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rioD said:

In Pattaya it seems most of the check points prioritize stopping and checking foreigners not Thai's or any sort of equal screening.

The Thais complain a lot and don't have any money. Foreigners just pay up.....

9 hours ago, Mike k said:

I watched a cop in uniform at the police station ride away no helmet and going the wrong way on a 1 way street 

If you are expecting people in Thailand to lead by example, you will be waiting a long time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The captain reported widespread lawbreaking on the roads with many people having no licences, no helmets, no third party insurance extension and also no face masks - he noted that was very bad too. 

Who'd have thunk that !!!!!

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The ten things they are looking out for are:

1. Speeding

2. Going the wrong way

3. Not obeying traffic signals

4. Not wearing seatbelts

5. Not having a licence

6. Illegal overtaking in narrow areas

7. DUI

8. Not wearing helmets

9. Riding unsafe motorcycles and

10. Using phones while driving.

The police have their work cut-out then....

I welcome these initiatives. Over one thousand deaths per month!  Almost two (young) motor cyclists dead every MINUTE!  However we all know it is a passing thing.  The cops have been bored doing nothing for months and will go at it with greedy energy until innate laziness sets in.

Speed kills so CCTV + follow-up enforcement would rapidly bring down the numbers of the dead and maimed but a Thai cop works fewer hours than a part-time student dishwasher in Europe so they'll soon get tired.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good they are finally trying to crack down, how long will it last for. Also going through red lights needs to be stopped

The other morning I was out for my normal bike ride, traffic lights changed to red so I stopped at the front. The traffic coming in from the right of me started to move on green as normal.

6 motorcycles passed me and just filtered into the moving traffic... only one rider had a helmet, all the others including pillions nothing. 

Police have a hard job if the public don't care for the law.

• Like 1

So many law breakers, but what penalties were applied?

Apart from the need to obtain licences and insurance, helmets and masks, every vehicle ridden/driven  by anyone breaking the law should be impounded for 1 month. Then and only then would people start to learn. A few hundred baht for serious infringements hurts nobody and no changes can be expected.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Not sure but doesn't it come with the m/c rego?

I thought so as well, you register the bike, it's insured. Most m/c drivers do not

Edited by Noah K
add text