CBD/THC for Depression/Anxiety?

Seen a few local Thai documents with diagnoses and treatments re: cannabis.

For Bipolar, these say that results are inconclusive with CBD and require more study. As mentioned above THC is a definite no go.

So I don't think real local doctors affiliated with a real hospital would prescribe the GPO CBD oil. But you should ask your doctor specifically about any options.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2021 at 8:35 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

You will certainly want to stay clear from THC, specially long term and recurring use, in your case. CBD might help but it is a case to case basis. Long term THC use will likely result in paranoia and the like, social isolation etc (but if that is better than the current bad things you deal with, it might be worth it).

sawasdeeclinic.com/contact-us/

Great Clinic 

On 4/5/2021 at 9:56 AM, mtls2005 said:

Seen a few local Thai documents with diagnoses and treatments re: cannabis.

For Bipolar, these say that results are inconclusive with CBD and require more study. As mentioned above THC is a definite no go.

So I don't think real local doctors affiliated with a real hospital would prescribe the GPO CBD oil. But you should ask your doctor specifically about any options.

my GP in a very well established hospital in Surathani has recommended using the oil, if it is possible to replace some of this ''cocktail'' recommended by a shrink:

1 Cymbalta 60 mg

2 Lamictal 100 mg

2 Seroxat 20 mg

and ...if anxiety attack:

1 Alphrazolam  0.25 mg

that is a recommended daily dosage.

Lets make this thread more open minded shall we.?

one question I have: do you need a doctors written perscription?

17 minutes ago, paddypower said:

my GP in a very well established hospital in Surathani has recommended using the oil, if it is possible to replace some of this ''cocktail'' recommended by a shrink:

1 Cymbalta 60 mg

2 Lamictal 100 mg

2 Seroxat 20 mg

and ...if anxiety attack:

1 Alphrazolam  0.25 mg

that is a recommended daily dosage.

Lets make this thread more open minded shall we.?

one question I have: do you need a doctors written perscription?

For the alprazolam and other sedatives, not only do you need a prescription, only hospitals are allowed to stock and prescribe them. Pharmacies are not even allowed to stock them legally. Some will do so illegally, but you will end up paying much more than hospitals charge. Anti-depressants, on the other hand, are OTC drugs, no prescription needed. 

• Like 1

It varies depending on the drug. Some antidepressents are are OTC and some are restricted.

Very dangerous IMO for someone with BPD to take anything  not prescribed by a psychiatrist familiar with their condition. There is a huge difference between simple anxiety or depression and BPD.

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It varies depending on the drug. Some antidepressents are are OTC and some are restricted.

Very dangerous IMO for someone with BPD to take anything  not prescribed by a psychiatrist familiar with their condition. There is a huge difference between simple anxiety or depression and BPD.

I've had BPD for 20ish years. In those 20 years all I've been given is prescription antidepressants. This now is my chance to try something different so I asked her about me trying CBD the other day but her hospital doesn't have it and she said she can't help me. So I feel I have no alternative but to go it alone. The nearest medical marijuana clinic has no psychiatrists so I doubt they'd issue me a prescription.

14 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I've had BPD for 20ish years. In those 20 years all I've been given is prescription antidepressants. This now is my chance to try something different so I asked her about me trying CBD the other day but her hospital doesn't have it and she said she can't help me. So I feel I have no alternative but to go it alone. The nearest medical marijuana clinic has no psychiatrists so I doubt they'd issue me a prescription.

I can certainly agree with you in wanting to get off the antidepressants, but do question whether you should be exploring other forms of medication.

There are other ways and one, that I have practiced myself for many years is Qigong. It is a branch of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) which uses gentle movement along with breathing and concentration (mindfulness) to relax and calm both body and mind.

Qigong has been researched and endorsed in the western world and you'll find many references on the internet citing its effectiveness.

I also agree with @Iforbach above regarding walking. It's a great physical and mental therapy.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I also agree with @Iforbach above regarding walking. It's a great physical and mental therapy.

I go cycling every other day. 20km each time. As much as people say exercise is beneficial for combatting depression I find that to be tosh. Once out on the bike the thoughts in my head just go around and around. I don't look forward to it but the exercise keeps my BP in check. So out I go.

For me to feel relaxed I like to drink a couple of beers in the evening. Unfortunately the doctors do not recommend alcohol with antidepressants. Hence why I wanna try something different like CBD.

20 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I go cycling every other day. 20km each time. As much as people say exercise is beneficial for combatting depression I find that to be tosh. Once out on the bike the thoughts in my head just go around and around. I don't look forward to it but the exercise keeps my BP in check. So out I go.

For me to feel relaxed I like to drink a couple of beers in the evening. Unfortunately the doctors do not recommend alcohol with antidepressants. Hence why I wanna try something different like CBD.

Cycling is not  a natural exercise, (I've done a lot of that too)whereas we are born to walk. Here's a short video that might make you think differently. 

I've learned over the years not to become entrenched in ones ideas. Learn to think outside the box as the saying goes. Good luck

• Like 2

Bipolarity have many layers, and common for all of them, is to live healthy first of all.

That means strict diciplined mapped road with food and what you drink and do not drink, sleep, daily routines, as well exorsize and keep yourself fit until the day come and you do not get out of the bed, and have to start all over again. The better you prepare for those times, the faster you get back on your feet again. 

Since you are bipolar, you might also be sensitive to different substances and you also know they will affect you different in what kind of mood or mode you are in. When you are normal to hyper, you can do anything without any negaitiv affect, and when in the lower mood, you know how some substances make even more ill. Of course when you are elevated above the moon, you really do not sense anything else than everything tastes good, and anything you gets your hands on do you good. 

Selfmedication is one of the challenges that comes with bipolar. 

And the higher you let you go, the deeper you fall. Quit simple but still so difficult. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, chocboss said:

join the group CBD Oil for Anxiety I am sure they will have some suggestions 

CBD is todays snake oil, and misunderstand me right. There is so many people with different issues, who need the escape, and willing to construct evidence for cbd is the messias coming to save you for everything, and anything. For sure, it might help for awhile as long you believe strong enough. And for sure, some it will do good, and they can handle it, and they do not get harmed by it, or do not harm anyone doing it. 

But, there is a huge but, is it so good as you can read, or is it not? Bipolarity is a complex illness, and for long term us, Im not so sure atall,  it will be good, but I am not sure long term use of ordinary medicine is good either. Yes it can help when you need it, but staying on medication for lifetime? Nope, 

Do I believe bipolar need medication, oh yes, and do I believe medication helps, yes, I believe so, but again, medication is not enough, and it doesnt give you any freepass to live reckless and do what everybody elses doing. 

As said biplarity is very complex illness, and it doesnt go away, it will be with you for lifetime, and the more you understand yourself how to live with it, and how to handle it, the better. 

From what I personaly know, and from what I have learned from others, and from what I have studied, CBD oil can help short term and should only bee used short term only if ever. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

For sure, it might help for awhile as long you believe strong enough.

Same applies to antidepressants. If you believe in them they may work. My understanding is that they only help about 50% of people that take them.

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

biplarity is very complex illness, and it doesnt go away, it will be with you for lifetime, and the more you understand yourself how to live with it, and how to handle it, the better. 

I do live with it and I do understand it I think. But I'd just like to try something different to conventional medicines. Until I do, I won't know, pure and simple.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Same applies to antidepressants. If you believe in them they may work. My understanding is the they only help about 50% of people that take them.

For me it seemed to work but the side effects and long term health risks that came with it made me quit very soon. What helped me is living in a country where the sun shines a lot, along with some self medicated outdoor weed (since 14 years). I'm doing great ever since moving.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Same applies to antidepressants. If you believe in them they may work. My understanding is that they only help about 50% of people that take them.

I do live with it and I do understand it I think. But I'd just like to try something different to conventional medicines. Until I do, I won't know, pure and simple.

I said no to medication, and started to do what I could do to myself to ease my illness and symptoms, and it helped. But it is boring and hard work to stay on the thin line all the time. Thats the problem. 

However for me it seems to ease a bit the older I get as well. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reliably informed that the above photo/pic are of what is available at my local government hospital reception station that serves the local amphur residents. Time for a visit.   ????

Edited by IvorBiggun2