Thailand says Bangkok COVID-19 outbreak may take months to contain

webfact

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Thailand to me seems to be dragging it's feet over getting everybody vaccinated, whats the problem?

Not enough Sinovac was ordered. Astra was to make locally by a local company owned by someone can not be mentioned.

someone screwed up and it did not happen, no vaccine available 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A coronavirus outbreak in Thailand's capital may take more than two months to control

So they'll have it under control just in time for the next stage of quarantine relaxation for foreign arrivals in July, which will then start another outbreak. I feel sorry for  poor health workers who are daily on the front line in this mess, to be honest. 

• Like 2

Being cynical I could say that this outbreak and subsequent curtailment of business activities could possibly last as long until there is no threat to the PM and company of civil displays of disillusionment. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smedly said:

testing ?

what testing 

That costs money and they have no interest in spending it 

only filling of the pocket 

angry !!!!!!!!!

Maybe limited testing is why Covid hasn't been much of a problem in Thailand. Should the West follow suit, one wonders?

25 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

If only there was some kind of Vaccine which could help prevent the transmission.  I know if such a vaccine existed then the Thai government would bend over backwards to ensure everyone had access to it.  ???? 

Of course they would if the US and UK hadn't commandeered the market.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

46 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes they seemed to have backflipped on the mass testing and now seem to mention it at every opportunity.They openly admitted that they were targeting foreign workers in the Samut Sakon outbreak so enough with the misinformation thing Jeff or support your argument instead of hiding behind one liners.

They've been testing around 100k per month since last summer.  Not just Samut Sakon, as you've said.  Yes, they did a lot of testing there last year.  But it's been an ongoing effort for many months.  Especially in Bangkok.

I never hide behind one liners.  I always backup what I way with a quality reference.  Just like this time.

Maybe you could give me one that shows they are only targeting foreigners for tests?  LOL

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

and you backed up what I said.... if you don't mass test you don't find, then whinge about the numbers increasing, and try and find scapegoats rather than look in the mirror to find the real cause, and to top it off, they say, go, travel, have a good songkran, they certainly do not seem serious in stopping the spread, but seem to hope a vaccine will come to their aid, and "prove" the government correct, in fact they have proven incapable, and a bunch of liars, concealing the truth, from their own people, and the world, though I believe many world leaders do not believe them, and for some reason the worlds media hasn't questioned them.

The point is, there are no "surplus" vaccines, until the entire nation is vaccinated. you keep going on about 53.8 million doses, that isn't what is in hand right now, most hasn't yet been produced.

If I backed you up you must be an exceptional person!Yes they do seem to go for the scapegoat a bit to eagerly for my liking they also are ranked 104th for transparency and corruption which should make it a little clearer to understand the Thai paradigm.I do get your point about no surplus and that's fair enough.Now I see the whole thing becoming a political football.America vaccinated 8 million in 2 days and the UK have given 18 million doses so far I thought Ozzies were better than both but apparently they are not very good at vaccines and are having trouble deciding who to give the money to with lots of umming and ahhing going on but not much in the way of vaccinations going on and seem to be on a similar level as Thailand, how embarrassment.

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Apparently Australia is ditching the Astra vax for under 50's so they can have those if they become available.Also heard other countries are also ditching the Astra vax.What happens if the Astra vax takes a few years for the clotting thing to become more widespread?Scared people rushing in to be saved might find a different welcoming committee than expected.Line up and get your shots quick hurry as fast as you can and be saved!

They are not ditching but ordering more variants because they wont have enough vaccine. 

Thailand will have finished vaccinated before 1st world " no worries she'll be right mate" Australia does. They totally <deleted> up! 

29 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Come on, road deaths are BORING, its hardly news worthy that 100s and 100s of people die over Songkran.....But a disease with a 99% survival rate....... Now thats worth going into panic mode for and shutting everything down... 

99% survival rate is what you see in social media.  It's extremely misleading.  So is trying to compare the death rate to road deaths.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I wonder if this outbreak will have any effect on the planned July 1 and October 1 tourist no quarantine re-opening plans.

I was wondering the same thing. I think its fairly safe to say it will.

After Songkran will we see the whole country locked down again because all the people traveling home to their villages have speared the virus?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

They've been testing around 100k per month since last summer.  Not just Samut Sakon, as you've said.  Yes, they did a lot of testing there last year.  But it's been an ongoing effort for many months.  Especially in Bangkok.

I never hide behind one liners.  I always backup what I way with a quality reference.  Just like this time.

Maybe you could give me one that shows they are only targeting foreigners for tests?  LOL

So why would I try to back up something I didn't say?This is what makes it so tricky,you ask that I find evidence that they "only" targeted foreigners I didn't use the word only so I don't feel the need to support something I didn't say, where I said they targeted foreigners.Do you accept that they targeted foreign workers in the Samut Sakon outbreak?Let's try and work though what I said and what you said I said.You also use words like "never" and "always" which is a worry unless you don't really mean "never" or "always" but rather "most times"  or "nearly always" to make your point more defensible.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai experts are puzzled at how the UK variant evaded the country's strict quarantine system

Because not everyone is going through quarantine. 

The face saving dances these people go through are worthy of the Olympics. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

They've been testing around 100k per month since last summer. 

8 million tests out of 69 million is laughable and terribly low when compared to countries around the same size population.

These pockets keep popping up because they are not proactively testing around the country. When they test, they find. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dcnx said:

8 million tests out of 69 million is laughable and terribly low when compared to countries around the same size population.

These pockets keep popping up because they are not proactively testing around the country. When they test, they find. 

These pockets keep popping up because migrants are either sneaking over the border to escape the war there, or being brought in by mafia making a buck to provide workers to the businesses here.  Just like happened in December.  Remember?

Guest Harm Hendrik Reitsma
6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

"it did not specify when"

Surely, if this "variant" is as powerful and dangerous as they claim, they have the powers to close anything they want with immediate effect, so why the delay, giving it more time to infect people before they act ?

This British variant is to the western world not as dangerous as the order variant of Covid. So be careful but not afraid and Stay safe.

57 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Basically, a large number of hisos decided Covid didn't apply to them. Unable to practice self restraint, discipline, and a sense of moral responsibility, they greedily crammed themselves into bars and clubs along with a couple of hundred total strangers just to hear some idiot twang on a guitar in person or belt out bad songs while they breathed down the neck of the person setting next to them.

You just don't understand that that is standard practice to please and/or impress all those mia nois.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

To be truthful they haven't hidden their desire not to test saying right from the beginning they weren't interested in mass testing as it cost to much among other reasons and said they will be doing targeting testing which it turned out they targeted foreigners.

I guess you forgot what you posted.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Covid hasn't been much of a problem due to the lock down of borders and internal lock downs during the past spikes.  If rates were higher, you'd see mass graves and refrigerated trucks for the dead outside hospitals.  Just like in Brazil.  That's not happening here.

Different variant Jeff.  That brasilian variant is much more deadly and infectious to what we have seen.  Now the UK variant is here so standby cowboy.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

I was wondering the same thing. I think its fairly safe to say it will.

After Songkran will we see the whole country locked down again because all the people traveling home to their villages have speared the virus?

It's certainly a possibility...but July 1 is still over two months away. Maybe they'll have it contained by then.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Different variant Jeff.  That brasilian variant is much more deadly and infectious to what we have seen.  Now the UK variant is here so standby cowboy.

Many countries had mass graves, overflowing hospitals, temporary morgues during the earlier strains.

There no secret hidden pandemics. 

• Like 1