Prices For Tilapia.

Dear all.

We are about to expand our market, so if any in this forum know the price for Tilapia (red/black) in there area, I would appreciate if you would share it with me.

Regards.

Tilapia.

$1.69 per pound in NW suburbs of Chicago last week. :o

Report from Kamphaengphet:

CP is selling their Nile Tilapia, Pla Nin, for B25 and the hybrid, Pla Top Tim at B35/kg.

rgds

Hi Somtham.

25baht/kg...that is under the production cost !!! Do you know how big the fish are to that price ???

Regards.

Tilapia.

CP is selling their Nile Tilapia, Pla Nin, for B25 and the hybrid, Pla Top Tim at B35/kg.

rgds

Hi Somtham.

25baht/kg...that is under the production cost !!! Do you know how big the fish are to that price ???

Regards.

Tilapia.

hi, tilapia.

our area: about midway korat-buriram- thb 50/kg for live fish. price radically lower for dead fish. can drop to thb 25. and i am sure the above quoted price was for dead fish.

unfortunately your fish are difficult to keep alive for any length of time- that is why i stick with pladouk.

if you can keep them alive for long enough, you will get your price, so you need to work on this.

good luck

frikkie

rgds

Hi Somtham.

Regards.

Tilapia.

hi, tilapia.

our area: about midway korat-buriram- thb 50/kg for live fish. price radically lower for dead fish. can drop to thb 25. and i am sure the above quoted price was for dead fish.

unfortunately your fish are difficult to keep alive for any length of time- that is why i stick with pladouk.

if you can keep them alive for long enough, you will get your price, so you need to work on this.

good luck

frikkie

Nope Frikkie. These are not dead fish. They were still breathing this morning when the lady that buys our catfish came over.

Tilapia - the lady said CP feeds the fish fresh veggies, no pellets. They bring a 6-wheeler of veggies in every 3 days. Not sure what the source of the veggies is. They also grow pla sawai in the same pond which she buys for B18/kg.

rgds

rgds

Hi Somtham.

Regards.

Tilapia.

hi, tilapia.

good luck

frikkie

Nope Frikkie. These are not dead fish. They were still breathing this morning when the lady that buys our catfish came over.

Tilapia - the lady said CP feeds the fish fresh veggies, no pellets. They bring a 6-wheeler of veggies in every 3 days. Not sure what the source of the veggies is. They also grow pla sawai in the same pond which she buys for B18/kg.

edit - sorry I forgot to mention the fish my wife bought from her ws 1.1kg. Most looked to be about 1kg +/-

rgds

rgds

rgds

Hi Somtham.

Regards.

Tilapia.

hi, tilapia.

good luck

frikkie

Hi Frikkie.

If we have to, we kan keep the fish alive under transport, up to 300km, but the amount of fish is much smaller than with catfish. I did cat-fish before, but the competition from Supan-Buri was to much, the margin to small, so we change to Tilapia.

Until the farm is completed we will supply to the local market, after that we are aiming for export of our product, but still some way to go before reaching that point.

Tilapia.

Hi Somtham.

It must be duck-weed they are feeding to them, but it sounds like a night-mare 25baht/kg.....I hope that will not happen in Isaan....

Tilapia.

She said veggies so I don't think it is duckweed. CP may be buying up spoiled veggies from Talat Thai or somewhere. She'll be back tomorrow or Sunday so I'll ask again.

Are you growing pla nin or toptim?

rgds

Hi Somtham.

Regards.

Tilapia.

hi, tilapia.

good luck

frikkie

Hi Frikkie.

If we have to, we kan keep the fish alive under transport, up to 300km, but the amount of fish is much smaller than with catfish. I did cat-fish before, but the competition from Supan-Buri was to much, the margin to small, so we change to Tilapia.

Until the farm is completed we will supply to the local market, after that we are aiming for export of our product, but still some way to go before reaching that point.

Tilapia.

when you say "local" are you talking about just in your neighbourhood, or are you already selling in surrounding towns? it may be worth trying larger "talaats" within say a 30km radius of where you are.i do not know whether tilapia are transported live longdistance in thailand, as is the case with catfish, so if they are relying on local suppliers, you could clean up, as the thai suppliers can not normally supply reliably (no intensive farming, so one guy will net a pond once a year, then try dump it all in one shot- then the next subsistence farmer,etc) even with catfish, i found that the livehaulers supplied erratically and there were often seasonal shortages. if they find that you have an ongoing supply of quality fish, they soon stop buying from the local, unreliable sources. you will find that they will place a standing order of, say 50kg per day, and if you can supply fresh, live fish more often and more reliably than they were used to. they often would like smaller quantities more often, since they also have a problem keeping the stuff alive. i got a better price for my catfish than what they were used to paying for this very reason.

export, if you can get it right is a great idea. catfish are exported from south africa to holland, japan,brunei, germany, etc and the high price realised easily makes up for transport costs,etc. you would probably have to be doing about 20ton per month, though, to make it viable. i found frozen, boxed tilapia at a supermarket in chinatown, johannesburg the other day. next time i go i will try to find what they are selling for and let you know. we have a lot of tilapia mozambicus here, and nature conservation is paranoid about any "invader species" being cultivated here. these were nile tilapia, so i am guessing that they were imported.

chok dee

frikkie

Edited by frikkiedeboer

Hi Somtham.

It must be duck-weed they are feeding to them, but it sounds like a night-mare 25baht/kg.....I hope that will not happen in Isaan....

Tilapia.

She said veggies so I don't think it is duckweed. CP may be buying up spoiled veggies from Talat Thai or somewhere. She'll be back tomorrow or Sunday so I'll ask again.

Are you growing pla nin or toptim?

Hi Somtham.

We are doing both, about 70% Nin and 30% Tap Tim. Nin is easier and grow faster, but Tap Tim is selling for a higher price.

regards

Tilapia.

rgds

Hi Somtham.

Regards.

Tilapia.

hi, tilapia.

good luck

frikkie

Hi Frikkie.

Tilapia.

when you say "local" are you talking about just in your neighbourhood, or are you already selling in surrounding towns? it may be worth trying larger "talaats" within say a 30km radius of where you are.i do not know whether tilapia are transported live longdistance in thailand, as is the case with catfish, so if they are relying on local suppliers, you could clean up, as the thai suppliers can not normally supply reliably (no intensive farming, so one guy will net a pond once a year, then try dump it all in one shot- then the next subsistence farmer,etc) even with catfish, i found that the livehaulers supplied erratically and there were often seasonal shortages. if they find that you have an ongoing supply of quality fish, they soon stop buying from the local, unreliable sources. you will find that they will place a standing order of, say 50kg per day, and if you can supply fresh, live fish more often and more reliably than they were used to. they often would like smaller quantities more often, since they also have a problem keeping the stuff alive. i got a better price for my catfish than what they were used to paying for this very reason.

export, if you can get it right is a great idea. catfish are exported from south africa to holland, japan,brunei, germany, etc and the high price realised easily makes up for transport costs,etc. you would probably have to be doing about 20ton per month, though, to make it viable. i found frozen, boxed tilapia at a supermarket in chinatown, johannesburg the other day. next time i go i will try to find what they are selling for and let you know. we have a lot of tilapia mozambicus here, and nature conservation is paranoid about any "invader species" being cultivated here. these were nile tilapia, so i am guessing that they were imported.

chok dee

frikkie

Hi Frikkie.

We supply to the local supermarket in Buri-Ram (V-Mart) and we are in talks with Big C and Macro, to supply live Tilapia to there supermarkets in Surin and Buri-Ram (when it opens).

Our production will increase, so I need to plan ahead, our target is 1.000 ton/year within the next 3 years, so enough to do. You can mail me if you want. [email protected]

Regards.

Tilapia.

edit....the thai suppliers can not normally supply reliably (no intensive farming, so one guy will net a pond once a year, then try dump it all in one shot- then the next subsistence farmer,etc) even with catfish, i found that the livehaulers supplied erratically and there were often seasonal shortages. if they find that you have an ongoing supply of quality fish, they soon stop buying from the local, unreliable sources....edit

frikkie

This staement is so true. I have 2 new buyers that gave up on the local, once a year, seine the rice paddy pond, all head no meat suppliers. They can buy fish from them at B27 but they come to us willing to pay B35 for fresh fish, day in and day out, that are feed fed. "Pla farang mai men" is what their customers say.

rgds

edit....the thai suppliers can not normally supply reliably (no intensive farming, so one guy will net a pond once a year, then try dump it all in one shot- then the next subsistence farmer,etc) even with catfish, i found that the livehaulers supplied erratically and there were often seasonal shortages. if they find that you have an ongoing supply of quality fish, they soon stop buying from the local, unreliable sources....edit

frikkie

This staement is so true. I have 2 new buyers that gave up on the local, once a year, seine the rice paddy pond, all head no meat suppliers. They can buy fish from them at B27 but they come to us willing to pay B35 for fresh fish, day in and day out, that are feed fed. "Pla farang mai men" is what their customers say.

rgds

Your fish have a much better diet, since your are using commercial pellets istead of dead chickens and other road-kill....Plar aroi jing jing.

Regards

Tilapia.

We are still getting 50 baht/kg here in Northern Isaan ,I noticed fish to 1.5 - 2kg at the local market today at 45 bt/kg but the sellers told us the big fish are hard to move.

we are holding our price as stock is running down in those ponds and the next batch is 8-10 weeks from market size.

Pla nin at about 55 baht per kilo in Loei. Tab tim cheaper at about 45 baht for some reason. Fish are between 1 and 2 kilo each. I like to buy the bigger ones but the Thais claim the bigger ones are difficult to sell so they normally don't buy the bigger fish. I can't tell any difference in taste but my wife says the Pla nin are more delicious. :o

NOTE - The prices are retail at the local fresh markets.

Edited by Gary A

Pla nin at about 55 baht per kilo in Loei. Tab tim cheaper at about 45 baht for some reason. Fish are between 1 and 2 kilo each. I like to buy the bigger ones but the Thais claim the bigger ones are difficult to sell so they normally don't buy the bigger fish. I can't tell any difference in taste but my wife says the Pla nin are more delicious. :o

NOTE - The prices are retail at the local fresh markets.

The market in Thailand is strange, some places they want only pla Nin, and another place only Tab Tim, and the size of the fish as well, sometimes it's a nightmare to please the coststummer, so now we keep all sizes, except above 1kg.

Tilapia.

Market seller came this morning wanting 500g fish, seems the only Pla Nin available are sourced from CP owned or contracted Mekong net farms and only 1kg and above fish available from them.

Yes, CP are tough and they like to be in control of the whole agri/aqua-culture, the individual farmer dont stand a chance, unless he has some financial backing, I think it is very sad to have just one big company like CP, there more or less en-slave people to farm for them, and only paying them enough to barely survive, while CP is getting the big profit.

Tilapia.

Hi Guys,

I lost out on Pla Duk last year simply because we did not raise enough.

Now that the rains have filled the pond again we've started with the Red Tilapia this time. A guy in a pick-up came by. I think I got ripped off but I was so hot and bothered I just wanted to get out of the sun. I bought 4,000 fry for 2 baht each. I'm sure there was no way there was 500 fish in each bag like he claimed but I was not in the mood for counting them.

He says he'll come back in 4 months and give me 50 Baht /kg. He's been comming back to check that they are ok.

We are in between Sukhothai and Kampang Phet.

Edited by OOLEEBER

Market seller came this morning wanting 500g fish, seems the only Pla Nin available are sourced from CP owned or contracted Mekong net farms and only 1kg and above fish available from them.

Yes, CP are tough and they like to be in control of the whole agri/aqua-culture, the individual farmer dont stand a chance, unless he has some financial backing, I think it is very sad to have just one big company like CP, there more or less en-slave people to farm for them, and only paying them enough to barely survive, while CP is getting the big profit.

Tilapia.

tilapia, cp are either trying to get rid of a temporary oversupply or they are dumping fish to kill off competition. i dont think they will affect your market as long as you can transport live fish.they are probably concentrating on a small area where they have had competition, and the prices will soon get back to normal. nobody can sell fish for less than it costs to produce them for very long-not even cp. if the information is correct about them feeding scrap vegetables,what do you think their fcr is?-and how long do you think they could keep it up?-no worries....

chok dee

frikkie

Hi Guys,

Now that the rains have filled the pond again we've started with the Red Tilapia this time. A guy in a pick-up came by. I think I got ripped off but I was so hot and bothered I just wanted to get out of the sun. I bought 4,000 fry for 2 baht each. I'm sure there was no way there was 500 fish in each bag like he claimed but I was not in the mood for counting them.

He says he'll come back in 4 months and give me 50 Baht /kg. He's been comming back to check that they are ok.

Hi

If he want to give 50baht/kg then please send him up to me, and he better bring a big truck and wallet.....Ok, just joking. The normal price for Tilapia fry, 21-26 days old is around 0.3-0.35 baht/fish for balck Tilapia, for red it is around 0.45-0.50 baht/fish. If you have bourght the fish in that size, then shoot the guy next time he comes by. Price for fingerlings size 40-50 gram/fish is around 95 baht/kg for red Tilapia, and 75 baht/kg for black, if the fish your bourght was that size, then call him back and order some more. I am talking only sex-reversal Tilapia, not mixed-sex.

Good luck.

Tilapia.

Tilapia.

tilapia, cp are either trying to get rid of a temporary oversupply or they are dumping fish to kill off competition. i dont think they will affect your market as long as you can transport live fish.they are probably concentrating on a small area where they have had competition, and the prices will soon get back to normal. nobody can sell fish for less than it costs to produce them for very long-not even cp. if the information is correct about them feeding scrap vegetables,what do you think their fcr is?-and how long do you think they could keep it up?-no worries....

chok dee

frikkie

Hi Frikkie.

Thanks for your backing, but I meant the local farmes that CP lure into there sceme, and then they are living on the mercy from those coc#%suc#%&$. Up here I got CP by there balls, they have offered to buy all I can produce, so they can control the price on the market (they dident say that, but I know that's what they want to do), but I don't want to play ball with them, so we are on a Mexican stand-of, at this moment.

:o

regards

Tilapia.

Hi Guys,

Hi

If he want to give 50baht/kg then please send him up to me, and he better bring a big truck and wallet.....Ok, just joking. The normal price for Tilapia fry, 21-26 days old is around 0.3-0.35 baht/fish for balck Tilapia, for red it is around 0.45-0.50 baht/fish. If you have bourght the fish in that size, then shoot the guy next time he comes by. Price for fingerlings size 40-50 gram/fish is around 95 baht/kg for red Tilapia, and 75 baht/kg for black, if the fish your bourght was that size, then call him back and order some more. I am talking only sex-reversal Tilapia, not mixed-sex.

Good luck.

Tilapia.

Thanks for the info Tilapia,

I think that they were over 3 inches long when I bought them. they are certainly that now after 2 weeks of feed and I don't think they've grown that much.

I have no idea how many fingerlings per kg so I cant work it out based on that cost / kg ratio. I just feel I was ripped off because I ws looking at the bags and saying to myself, and the guy, there's no way there's 500 in that bag. More like 250 max but for an extra B4000 I was too lazy to argue and took the easier option of trusting him.

They are sex reversed.

If it turns out I only yeild 2000 fish after 4 months then I will shoot him but I've got to buy that gun I've been promising myself since the 2 farrangs were robbed in house invasions within 20klm of here. One if their wives was killed and he was left with his stomach hanging our for 2 days befere someone found him. Nothing at all it the newspapers of course. Sorry - way off topic.

I've loved reading this topic today - Thanks to everyone who's posted.

If he really does give me B50 / kg in 4 months I'll be sure to let you know.

Cheers

Ollie

Hi Frikkie.

Thanks for your backing, but I meant the local farmes that CP lure into there sceme, and then they are living on the mercy from those coc#%suc#%&$. Up here I got CP by there balls, they have offered to buy all I can produce, so they can control the price on the market (they dident say that, but I know that's what they want to do), but I don't want to play ball with them, so we are on a Mexican stand-of, at this moment.

:o

regards

Tilapia.

as long as you have those guys by the balls, squeeze hard. i agree with you that they are using these poor ignorant farmers to serve their own purpose, and if they are really selling at 25thb/kg, these guys are all going to starve!

obviously they consider you to be a threat, or they would not be negotiating with you. you might be in for a tough period if they start dumping in your area. a positive spinoff, though will be that they could end up pushing up the market price to a more realistic figure if they do not have competition from the guys who sell cheap,due to the fact that they really do not keep records and often dont even know if they made a profit or a loss.

on another subject: do you produce your own fingerlings, and: how do they manage to produce male-only fingerlings? would triploid fish not be easier or cheaper to produce,and would they perform as well?

best wishes and full support for your stand against cp

frikkie

Hi Frikkie.

It is an interesting situation, time will tell, but up here CP get there fish from cage farmers, who are using CP's pellets, so I cant see them go in for a long price-war.

I don't do my own fry, I buy them from Nam Sai farm (google them, they have a interesting web-site) when they are 21-25 days old, after the sex reversal, the reversal is done with the feed, there is some formular to get 95-99% all male.

We do our own nursery in happas, and the they are of to the tanks, for 4-5 month.

Tilapia