Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

27 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I still recommend to call MOI regularly 6+ months after you had the interview to know if your application is ok and has been sent to the palace for signature. In my case, the last time I called them they could confirm that all batches before mine had already been countersigned by the King and I was thus on the next batch. This can avoid the situation reported by some applicants in this forum where they waited for long time until they called MOI and discovered there was a problem in their application that had not been proactively communicated to them. 

Brother my interview was on 17 december 2019

i called MOI on 7 feb 2020 , and staff informed me that your documents has been approved from DOPA MOI committee on 4 Feb and has been forward to Minister office and then for King office, i called back again in April and staff informed application is in King office for Counter sign. and NOW from Apr , may , june ( as i called yesterday ) it was same reply from staff that application is still in King office. it took 6 month to 1 year for Counter Sign. FYI

35 minutes ago, david143 said:

Brother my interview was on 17 december 2019

i called MOI on 7 feb 2020 , and staff informed me that your documents has been approved from DOPA MOI committee on 4 Feb and has been forward to Minister office and then for King office, i called back again in April and staff informed application is in King office for Counter sign. and NOW from Apr , may , june ( as i called yesterday ) it was same reply from staff that application is still in King office. it took 6 month to 1 year for Counter Sign. FYI

I think you forget the step of Prime Minister signature which is required before the palace, which adds time. Perhaps you also forget that there are batches of applicants ahead of you, so the question is not when your file goes to the palace, it is how many batches are there before you... at the moment I'd assume there is one of them (Sep-Oct 2019 MOI interviewed people) and then Nov-Dec 2019 is your batch. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I think you forget the step of Prime Minister signature which is required before the palace, which adds time. Perhaps you also forget that there are batches of applicants ahead of you, so the question is not when your file goes to the palace, it is how many batches are there before you... at the moment I'd assume there is one of them (Sep-Oct 2019 MOI interviewed people) and then Nov-Dec 2019 is your batch. 

thanks for clearing brother,

so nice of you

8 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

It is SB > NIA > MOI. However the MOI interview is handled by DOPA (to be precise, by BORA at DOPA). "BORA" being the Bureau of Registration Affairs. The little pink ID is issued by DOPA.

https://www.bora.dopa.go.th/index.php/th/contact

The BORA is located in Lamlukka. Huge mostly empty building with masses of car parking.

432035134_ScreenShot2020-06-18at11_50_35.jpg.19e1b825243981bee30b460f84cc5e8b.jpg

Thank you. So BORA & DOPA must be under MOI ... a bit confusing but i will look it up on the web. Once again, thank you so much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This might not be useful to most people , but just wanted to ask, I am eyeing for a job that provides a Non immigrant "F" visa. Is this visa even eligible for PR/Citizenship? , Currently struggling to make the minimum points in my current job. So thinking of a switch.

58 minutes ago, Smokegreynblues said:

This might not be useful to most people , but just wanted to ask, I am eyeing for a job that provides a Non immigrant "F" visa. Is this visa even eligible for PR/Citizenship? , Currently struggling to make the minimum points in my current job. So thinking of a switch.

More knowledgable members will soon correct me if i am wrong, but i dont see any problem with the non-immigrant F visa if you have a proper Work Permit and have been paying taxes for a certain number of years (3yrs for a PR if i remember correctly) and have a salary over the required threshold. Look up in a separate pinned thread on getting PR. After being on PR for 5yrs, you can apply for citizenship. Rules are different if married to a Thai citizen.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 5:20 PM, saakura said:

More knowledgable members will soon correct me if i am wrong, but i dont see any problem with the non-immigrant F visa if you have a proper Work Permit and have been paying taxes for a certain number of years (3yrs for a PR if i remember correctly) and have a salary over the required threshold. Look up in a separate pinned thread on getting PR. After being on PR for 5yrs, you can apply for citizenship. Rules are different if married to a Thai citizen.

I don't claim to be more knowledgeable, but I have friends you have an F-Visa. They are diplomats and tell me that you don't need any work permit on an F-visa. I also don''t think that they have to pay income taxes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SB passed my documents on to MOI a few months ago. While I am aware it will take 6-18 months (at least according to postings on this forum) before they contact me for the interview, I would like to call MOI and ask whether they received everything in order, just to make sure I am in the queue. 

Does anybody have a direct phone number I can call? Is there a specific ref number I should mention, or just my name and the month SB sent them my docs? (I believe they send only one batch per month.)

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

SB passed my documents on to MOI a few months ago. While I am aware it will take 6-18 months (at least according to postings on this forum) before they contact me for the interview, I would like to call MOI and ask whether they received everything in order, just to make sure I am in the queue. 

Does anybody have a direct phone number I can call? Is there a specific ref number I should mention, or just my name and the month SB sent them my docs? (I believe they send only one batch per month.)

Thanks.

Your SB contact has the number and your name and the date it was submitted is all you need

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

I don't claim to be more knowledgeable, but I have friends you have an F-Visa. They are diplomats and tell me that you don't need any work permit on an F-visa. I also don''t think that they have to pay income taxes.

I personally don't think someone not paying taxes would qualify for PR and citizenship application (excluding special categories) - perhaps this is a question gurus in this forum can answer.

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey

4 hours ago, onthemoon said:

SB passed my documents on to MOI a few months ago. While I am aware it will take 6-18 months (at least according to postings on this forum) before they contact me for the interview [...]

Jay yen yen my friend. Bear in mind that things are processed by batch, so it's not only a matter of processing your application but how many batches are queuing before you. For instance there has been no MOI interview since February 2020 (while these were run on a monthly basis for about 40-50 people) and this mean that if they don't double the size of applicants or increase the pace when they resume the interviews it will add 4 or more months to the 12-month average waiting time.

We know files are not necessarily processed as FIFO and the time can vary from one to another, but what you should try to do is to know when interviews resume (thanks david143 for regularly telling us!) at which pace and how many people seem to be interviewed each time. Because when SB has sent your file to MOI it means there were probably 12 months*50 so total 600 people queuing ahead of you.

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Jay yen yen my friend. Bear in mind that things are processed by batch, so it's not only a matter of processing your application but how many batches are queuing before you. For instance there has been no MOI interview since February 2020 (while these were run on a monthly basis for about 40-50 people) and this mean that if they don't double the size of applicants or increase the pace when they resume the interviews it will add 4 or more months to the 12-month average waiting time.

We know files are not necessarily processed as FIFO and the time can vary from one to another, but what you should try to do is to know when interviews resume (thanks david143 for regularly telling us!) at which pace and how many people seem to be interviewed each time. Because when SB has sent your file to MOI it means there were probably 12 months*50 so total 600 people queuing ahead of you.

my pleasure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2020 at 9:40 AM, onthemoon said:

Thanks.

A good idea to check if they have it or not. I never received a letter to say so, my officer just told mentioned it to me when he called to ask me to help another applicant. I wouldn't have known if he hadn't called. 

FYI, it was sent in March 2018 and my MOI interview was in Sep 2019, so 18 months. 

• Like 1

I just checked my records and see that it is approximately 14 months since my application was accepted by the MOI. I know this because I was shown a copy of the acceptance record by my SB officer. It seems that the norm for interview intervals is 12-18 months, with some outliers. Is this still the case? Also, is there any point in contacting the MOI office concerned just to inquire about status, or will this just annoy them? I guess the main thing I would want to know is that my application is indeed in the system and has not been misplaced/lost or whatever.

2 hours ago, qualtrough said:

I just checked my records and see that it is approximately 14 months since my application was accepted by the MOI. I know this because I was shown a copy of the acceptance record by my SB officer. It seems that the norm for interview intervals is 12-18 months, with some outliers. Is this still the case? Also, is there any point in contacting the MOI office concerned just to inquire about status, or will this just annoy them? I guess the main thing I would want to know is that my application is indeed in the system and has not been misplaced/lost or whatever.

As in your case more than a year has passed already, I see no harm in giving them a call.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qualtrough said:

I had my wife call at least 3 times the 1st time they didn't pull my file. The next 2x they did and 3rd they gave  me a time frame 

22 hours ago, qualtrough said:

I think so for 12-18 months. I myself waited 17 months (MOI interview was July 2019), but recently there has been no MOI monthly meeting between March and June this year so this can add a delay of 4 month to the let's say average 15 months waiting time. All will depend it they increase the frequency or the number of people called each month, but yes definitely a call to MOI would at least clarify that your file is progressing normally in the queue an has no specific blocking point.

If you have the time I suggest going to see them in person. It's a trek, but if you aim to get to their offices around 1000-1030 the traffic shouldn't be too bad. Loads of parking if you drive yourself. They are quite friendly and I think more likely to really look things up if you are sitting in their office.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

If you have the time I suggest going to see them in person. It's a trek, but if you aim to get to their offices around 1000-1030 the traffic shouldn't be too bad. Loads of parking if you drive yourself. They are quite friendly and I think more likely to really look things up if you are sitting in their office.

That's what I was thinking, thanks. Fortunately it is not that far from where I live. I was surprised to learn recently that it was in Lumlukka, thinking I would have to go into Bangkok.