Thai govt considers allowing foreigners to more easily buy/own property

webfact

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

they just make it unworkable buy putting a stupid 10m Baht minimum price on it. 99% of house in Moo Baans, all over Thailand, are 1-3m baht.

Yeah, put it at 1-3 million and I certainly would go out ASAP and by me and the family a second house. I am actually on the paperwork title regarding the house portion but not the dirt.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I know 6-8 guys that would come back tomorrow for their yearly 3-6 month stay, if they removed CoE, insurance and quarantine.

Yep, met too! Faster than you can say whiplash. 

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

But most want to hand it down to their kids, not giving it back to the landowner.  

Then such folks need to retire elsewhere, as that's not possible in Thailand (unless they're single and shack-up with a native and die with issue). The plan seems to be aimed at wealthy retirees, who presumably have a lot of other assets they could pass on besides a house in some foreign country.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

How many farang would want to live in a Thai housing estate?  I mean it as an honest question— it would not be attractive to me, and I can’t quite figure out who the target market would bel\.

Me for one. Had mostly positive experience from such a set up, albeit nice moobaan with professional/business folk. Certainly prefer that to be surrounded by my boring, whiny own lol. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Me for one. Had mostly positive experience from such a set up, albeit nice moobaan with professional/business folk. Certainly prefer that to be surrounded by my boring, whiny own lol. 

I know someone who rents in one of these places and I would certainly consider it.  If they did this it would probably only be for very expensive/overpriced real estate that most Thai's (and many farangs) could not afford anyways.

Same deal with 80% condos.  They would probably only allow that in really expensive condos that they could never get to 50% Thais buying anyways.  So I would not expect a places like ViewTalay condos to be allowed to do this.

Edited by shdmn

16 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

How many farang would want to live in a Thai housing estate?  I mean it as an honest question— it would not be attractive to me, and I can’t quite figure out who the target market would bel\.

Our estate is mostly Thai/Farang.  Several Thai couples.  And now, starting to get quite a few Chinese.  So far, they've caused few problems.  The biggest problems are the Thai owners who try to convert their homes into weekend party houses.  Luckily, we're pretty strict on that.

We're very happy in our estate.  But sure wish I could own it outright without dealing with this dodgy company ownership scheme.

• Like 2

Well from just reading that (OP) its still all a little too Thai (complex) and not enough for me. Why can they not just do something that is "fair" instead of always stacking the cards in favour of "Thai", who are these mythical "Thai" people that will actually benefit from tying non-Thais in knots always?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, webfact said:

It would mean foreigners with at least 10 million baht could buy and own a house - and even the plot of land it sits on.

However, any changes in the law are likely to be temporary for the next 3-5 years as a post Covid stimulus package.

However , once 3-5yrs passed , no foreigners allowed to own land any more ? And the ones who bought within that time frame con keep their property but cannot sell to foreigners any more ?

This is BS .

If make new laws or change existing ones , do it .

But not only temporarily .

He said that new investment opportunities need to be created to encourage foreigners to buy second homes in Thailand and he also wanted to attract retirees.

To buy second homes in Thailand ?

Why not just copy the malaysian model ?

At least , this works .

• Like 1

Classic Thai subdivision in the photo.....totally devoid of design.....houses almost touching the neighbour....all the same design and colour schemes.......just so attractive to a foreigner.....given that in reality, we cannot own anything here and the talk that we may soon be able to is BS of course.....they're just displaying their usual delusional mindset in desperation and pressure from developers!

Edited by ChrisY1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Interesting, would be good to own some land and houses here in my own name if allowed post-covid.

Any changes will likely be temporary 3-5 years. Same as befor when certain condos could raise Foreign Quito only for the law to change back to 49/51.....those that thought held Foreign Quito found when selling their condo came under Thai quota...buy land at your peril.....what would the tax be in selling, would you have to change to company set up..?

17 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

It might become "Expatistan", you can have Little Russia, Little India, and so forth...oh wait...that would be just like America now

11 minutes ago, milesinnz said:

and would they ever "reverse" any changes in the future ??? how much trust would you have in a Thai government ?

The OP already says it would temporary for 3-5 years, whatever you buy during the 3-5 years remains lgal and yours, it just cant be sold to another foreigner when the scheme ends.

Edited by Peterw42