Late 70's. What are my chances?

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Your post was highly irrelevant as I previously stated.

1. The OP is in the UK and has to apply online through the E-Visa application system at the Thai Embassy in London.

2. His Visa application will be based on marriage, not 'retirement' (as you quoted) and Health Insurance is not required.

3. Even if he applied based on retirement he would have great difficult obtaining such Insurance due to his age.

4. How does an agent even come into the above procedure.

Once entering Thailand, he would apply for for a 1 year extension of his permission of stay granted at entry ( a permit, not a Visa) and again no Health Insurance required based on marriage.

Cost 1,900 baht. Why would he need the service of an agent, if he has sufficient funds and legally married.

Health Insurance is only required for those applying for a long term Visa, Non O-A, Non O-X, for STV's, new Non O applications and those with re-entry permit from an extension based on retirement. 

The Health Insurance is also required for extensions of stay based on an entry from a Non O-A, O-X, or STV Visa.

The OP does not fall into any of those types, is not applying based on retirement and doesn't require Health Insurance as a condition for the Visa, or the subsequent extension of stay.

More dribble       " Past the Covid situation"  is what I originally stated

Now I'm sure the OP could and would wait out his stay in UK for the covid situation to improve,then make a move...holiday, ..one day trip to Cambodia if required  Visa (and potential extensions lol)   ...unless he employs agent  1900 visa fee plus agents fee 9500

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

In my case as I'm sure is the same for all, a photo must be taken at the Immigration office. For me hand over passport and bank book, after a week go to immigration with agent walk in take pic and passport with extension handed to me by same IO, all less than 5 min. and done.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Most using an agent either don't understand or know what their doing or don't have sufficient funds to meet extension requirements. It's the typical response when you cant answer an OP's question through lack of knowledge - use an agent, I did. Duh!

I am sure the poster (top) knew what he was about, must have had some knowledge,..whether or not he has suffice funds?   you have to ask him,and if he is "typical"  lol

1 minute ago, izod10 said:

Now I'm sure the OP could and would wait out his stay in UK for the covid situation to improve,then make a move...holiday, ..one day trip to Cambodia if required  Visa (and potential extensions lol)   ...unless he employs agent  1900 visa fee plus agents fee 9500

Why on earth would the OP want to take a trip to Cambodia, Lao, Vietnam or Malaysia when he can apply for a Non O Visa in his home Country from the comfort of his armchair.

And why would he want or need to employ an agent to apply for a 1 year extension when he meets the criteria to apply himself legitimately, for 1,900 baht.

Your constant referrals to an agent are not only 'off' topic', but a distraction.

His question was amicably answered by UJ's first post.

10 minutes ago, izod10 said:

I think it will be a long time before things get get back to normal as far as the covid 19 pandemic ends.

No sure what the trip to Cambodia would be for. 

How many offices out of about 80 have agents available to help him. I would guess maybe 10 might have them available.

• Like 2

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I think it will be a long time before things get get back to normal as far as the covid 19 pandemic ends.

No sure what the trip to Cambodia would be for. 

How many offices out of about 80 have agents available to help him. I would guess maybe 10 might have them available.

He did mention Jomtien  

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Why on earth would the OP want to take a trip to Cambodia, Lao, Vietnam or Malaysia when he can apply for a Non O Visa in his home Country from the comfort of his armchair.

And why would he want or need to employ an agent to apply for a 1 year extension when he meets the criteria to apply himself legitimately, for 1,900 baht.

Your constant referrals to an agent are not only 'off' topic', but a distraction.

His question was amicably answered by UJ's first post.

..and yours wasn't

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

In my case as I'm sure is the same for all, a photo must be taken at the Immigration office. For me hand over passport and bank book, after a week go to immigration with agent walk in take pic and passport with extension handed to me by same IO, all less than 5 min. and done.

You obviously meet the requirements, just using an agent to do the legwork.

Many agents use Immigration offices in different Provinces to where you actually reside and the client never visits the IO.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

As succinct as I can be.

The OP's question was amicably answered in the first reply by UJ, without any reference to an agent.

Did not have to,general query of staying in Thailand

Now I'm in the horns of a dilemma,yes, I am,perhaps you could help?

Yes I might be on the road to using an agent myself,but as you state, I have to be not knowing what to do,not having sufficient funds to meet criteria/cannot be bothered  at looking up your past quotes but Duh! was one,remember now..however I have stated I use income method for visa (Extension if you like).  Now I find I will have far too much money sloshing around in Thai bank        as I now have all I need/not buying property/road to ruin,and amount is building up at a rate of knots (you, I expect have the same problem too  lol)  Now the predicament Thailand PLC faces ,a bank haircut for one/bank going bust is a encroaching problem in my way of thinking

Could you please help? stuffing it into my underpants perhaps,making a dash for the border/airport,but the return may pose a problem

your response

" using an agent either don't understand or know what their doing or don't have sufficient funds to meet extension requirements. It's the typical response when you cant answer an OP's question through lack of knowledge - use an agent, I did. Duh!"

Edited by izod10

9 minutes ago, izod10 said:

I have stated I use income method for visa (Extension if you like).  Now I find I will have far too much money sloshing around in Thai bank        as I now have all I need/not buying property/road to ruin,and amount is building up at a rate of knots (you, I expect have the same problem too  lol)  Now the predicament Thailand PLC faces ,a haircut for one/bank going bust is a encroaching problem in my way of thinking

Firstly, I assume you have an extension based on retirement, which requires the 65K per month overseas transfers to meet the income requirement.

Currently, Thai baht (not foreign currency) deposited in a private Thai bank are protected for up to 1 million per bank by the DPA. Government banks are slightly different. 

How well protected is your Money in Thailand? From August 2020, only 1,000,000 Baht insured per Bank. (thaiwebsites.com)

But, to answer your question, the 3 best ways to repatriate excessive funds held in a Thai bank account to your home Country bank, are;

1. Direct bank transfer.

2. Western Union.

3. Dee Money.

Whichever method used you will incur some charge and their exchange rates, so in effect will not receive the full amount being repatriated. (Same as a transfer to Thailand).

I have an extension based on marriage to a Thai and use the funds in the bank method (not income).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Your suggestion of obtaining a multi Non O incurs travel costs, 2 x Visa fees, at least 1 night hotel costs plus time.

Nope 1 visa fee + extension fee (visa exempt entry is free)- same for the extension route.  As for travel costs - as I said, I made a trip of it, I'm sure I'm not alone. The OP may be late 70's but he's clearly not adverse to travel as he's proposing 2 x 12 hour flights every year. Remember also that in the OP's case, his Multi would be valid on his next trip.

It's not hassle at all, those that claim having to jump through hoops and over hurdles, probably complain going to an ATM for cash is also hassle.

You'd need to be familiar with every immigration office to make that statement. It can even vary depending on the day, the officer and which side he/she got out of bed.  My dealings with my local office have always been reasonably good but I know others who've had major hassle there. Because of that, some have used lawyers or agents so there's another potential expense.

If you only show them 400K in the bank, they can't hassle you into an extension based on retirement.

Yet members here have complained about exactly that, one I believe was refused a marriage extension and told he must apply for a retirement extension.

Both routes are options, I also come and go so I prefer the Multi - once I get that visa, I never see immigration again, I don't have to put any money in the bank, I don't need any statements from neighbours and I don't have to wait around for someone to visit my house etc. etc.  If I was there full time, I'd go for the extension.

Edited by KhaoYai

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Sorry for my ignorance but are you referring to agents that can assist with "retirement visas" without having funds in a bank account? And are those 10 agents mostly located in Pattaya and Bangkok or can some of these agents also be found in for example Chiang Mai?

1 minute ago, bodo said:

Sorry for my ignorance but are you referring to agents that can assist with "retirement visas" without having funds in a bank account? And are those 10 agents mostly located in Pattaya and Bangkok or can some of these agents also be found in for example Chiang Mai?

Agents can be found almost everywhere.

The fact is the stamps will often be issued not from where you use agent (i.e Pattaya and BKK) but from another province. 

7 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

Why do you want to return for 6 months in the UK every year?

Multiple reasons really.

My wife likes the UK summer but not the winter

I like the Thailand "winter" but not the "summer"

We have established an excellent life here in the UK over 12 years so don't want to lose touch.

My wife has a VERY large family in Thailand ( What Thai hasn't?) and would like to spend more time with them.

Whilst "comfortable" we are not wealthy so my wife works in a job which is in greater demand during the summer.

To supplement my pensions I am a sports trader ( horse racing). To many people this is gambling ( not so) and I doubt very much that I would be able to do this in Thailand. I haven't had the chance to test this out yet.

So when in Thailand our only income would be my pensions and savings.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Both routes are options, I also come and go so I prefer the Multi - once I get that visa, I never see immigration again, I don't have to put any money in the bank, 

How's that working out for you currently?

If I was married I would 100% have a ME non o (marriage). Fact is Mr covid arrived.

Doubt multi will be option for long time.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Agents can be found almost everywhere.

The fact is the stamps will often be issued not from where you use agent (i.e Pattaya and BKK) but from another province. 

Thanks.

I don't understand what you mean with "the stamps will be issued not from where you use an agent but from another province", sorry again for my ignorance. Care to explain?

And does it make any difference where your agent is located even if he's in Pattaya and you want to live in Chiang Mai?

20 minutes ago, bodo said:

And are those 10 agents mostly located in Pattaya and Bangkok or can some of these agents also be found in for example Chiang Mai?

Ten offices out of 80 is that have agents available to help with applications.

1 hour ago, bodo said:

I don't understand what you mean with "the stamps will be issued not from where you use an agent but from another province", sorry again for my ignorance. Care to explain?

The 1 year 'extension' stamp.

The agent may be based in Bangkok, but use an Immigration office in a different Province.

1 hour ago, bodo said:

And does it make any difference where your agent is located even if he's in Pattaya and you want to live in Chiang Mai?

The correct procedure is that extensions can only be applied for and issued in the Province where your registered address is. Using an agent your extension could be issued from a number of different Provincial Immigration office.

One issue with that is what address was used to obtain the extension, certainly not the one you registered with your local office, unless they obtain the extension from that same office.

Thanks, Tanoshi.

In reality, is it doable to get an agent assisted retirement visa in Bangkok and then move to Chiang Mai or is it much better to find such an agent in Chiang Mai?

By the way, a while ago I read that immigration in Chiang Mai is much stricter than for instance in Pattaya. True?

1 hour ago, bodo said:

Thanks, Tanoshi.

In reality, is it doable to get an agent assisted retirement visa in Bangkok and then move to Chiang Mai or is it much better to find such an agent in Chiang Mai?

By the way, a while ago I read that immigration in Chiang Mai is much stricter than for instance in Pattaya. True?

I would try to get an extension from the Immigration office in the Province you intend to reside.

CM does have agents.

4 hours ago, bodo said:

Thanks.

What this means is that, for instance, you might live in Bangkok and use an agent based there. However, when your extension of stay has been processed and the passport is returned, you find that the extension was granted at the immigration office in Nakhon Nowhere. That is where you now officially live. You have a valid extension, but one that was based on a fraudulent application.

Note that this does not always happen. Many agents will deal with the correct office. However, in many locations, agents can offer a much better price by processing extensions in offices that expect lower bribes.

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

What this means is that, for instance, you might live in Bangkok and use an agent based there. However, when your extension of stay has been processed and the passport is returned, you find that the extension was granted at the immigration office in Nakhon Nowhere. That is where you now officially live. You have a valid extension, but one that was based on a fraudulent application.

Note that this does not always happen. Many agents will deal with the correct office. However, in many locations, agents can offer a much better price by processing extensions in offices that expect lower bribes.

Of course it does not always happen, tell us your personal experience of this happening.

3 hours ago, bodo said:

Thanks, Tanoshi.

My staff are happy to answer all of your agent related questions via LINE.

But as @Tanoshi said, if you meet all the requirements, and do not need any support you simply can submit on your own for 1,900 THB.

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

How's that working out for you currently?

If I was married I would 100% have a ME non o (marriage). Fact is Mr covid arrived.

Doubt multi will be option for long time.

Well, clearly its not. However, I won't be able to resume my normal visit routine until quarantine finally ends.  Its not necessarily going to be a long time until one of the countries offering Multis opens up again - just have to wait and see.

You may note though that on my first post on this subject I said that the Multi route is not available at the moment - the OP appears to be looking at the long term, nothing wrong with him being made aware of all the options.

When a Multi is available again, it is in my opinion, by far the easiest route for someone in the OP's position. The process in Ho Chi Minh City really couldn't be easier.

Edited by KhaoYai

On 4/15/2021 at 4:18 PM, ubonjoe said:

The other part had nothing to with visas or extensions. It was actually off topic.

From the OP

"6 months summer in the UK and 6 months winter in Thailand would be ideal.

I welcome any help"

Obviously as a non UK national living in Thailand you fail to understand the wider implications of that statement and only interested in your own perspective.