Have you discovered the YINDII app yet

snoop1130

Yindii_team-1170x658.jpg

Yindii is a mobile application to connect consumers with food cafes to tackle climate change. It is an anti food waste application designed to help restaurants, cafes and grocery stores with their excess food which might go to waste. Yindii helps battle an escalating food waste problem and helps restaurants to gain potentially lost revenue. The food on the application is half the price, the consumer gets a good deal and a feeling of satisfaction for helping to reduce the carbon footprint of food wastage.

I met Louis-Alban-Batard-Dupre, Yindii founder and tech entrepreneur in an eco market in Bangkok when the application was launched. The business model which focuses on reducing carbon footprint immediately caught my attention so I asked him what inspired him to launch Yindii and he told me, “33% of all food produced globally is wasted or lost every year. That is close to a billion and a half tons which is never consumed, accounting for 8% of total greenhouse gas emissions around the globe. This is an ecological disaster! The growing problem of food waste is challenging to solve for endless reasons including logistics, the complexities of short lived items and the lack of a set market which is what we are working to help solve. All the food available on Yindii is delicious and untouched, coming from premium places, that just cannot wait to be eaten”.

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/food-and-drink/have-you-discovered-the-yindii-app-yet/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand 2021-04-16

So this is only for restaurants who can afford to drop their prices by 50%.

Doesn't help with the vast amounts I see wasted in my village, by family & others but which goes to feed the pigs & chickens.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Doesn't help with the vast amounts I see wasted in my village, by family & others but which goes to feed the pigs & chickens.

Surely if it goes to feed the pigs and chickens it is not wasted?

However, if the so called "waste" contains pork or chicken there may be some moral and religious issues involved particularly if the pigs or chickens are strict Buddhists, Muslims or Hindus?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

You're missing the part saying that it would otherwise go to waste , so still 50% made not lost . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

You're missing the part saying that it would otherwise go to waste , so still 50% made not lost . 

Then the restaurant's food management policy is not correct. There should not be 50% waste.

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Then the restaurant's food management policy is not correct. There should not be 50% waste.

That's very treu and that's exactly what Yindii is all about . And by selling that otherwise waste for 50% discount and then being sold is not waste anymore is it . I do get your point and i am all for it .

20 minutes ago, Excel said:

Correct me if you think I am cynical but to me it seems that this is yet another app purposely designed to suggest a "Green" credential solely to encourage people to click on yet another money making app - or am I wrong and this app is 100% free of any charges to the consumer, costs to the food suppliers themselves  and the owners of the app get absolutely no income from the apps use  whatsoever ?

Why would you expect the app developers work for free? There quite a lot of work and costs involved in developing and maintaining an app.

The restaurant will probably have to pay a commission to the app developers for every item sold.

Bottom line is the consumer will get 50% discount on food that otherwise should be thrown away.

If you think that is not worth appreciation, go look in Big C xtra when they fill the fridge with discounted products in the evening. I see a lot of people, which appear out of nothing as if someone blew a whistle, and who can't wait for the staff to move the goods from the containers into the fridge.

Note that there are rarely Thais in that bunch grabbing at the discounted goods as if their lives depend on it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Excel said:

Correct me if you think I am cynical but to me it seems that this is yet another app purposely designed to suggest a "Green" credential solely to encourage people to click on yet another money making app - or am I wrong and this app is 100% free of any charges to the consumer, costs to the food suppliers themselves  and the owners of the app get absolutely no income from the apps use  whatsoever ?

Why would an app maker make things for free, talk about tight farangs.

Its just a business and it helps the environment and some people make some money. Does not sound bad to me. 

• Like 2

On 4/17/2021 at 5:22 AM, Susco said:

Why would you expect the app developers work for free? There quite a lot of work and costs involved in developing and maintaining an app.

The restaurant will probably have to pay a commission to the app developers for every item sold.

Bottom line is the consumer will get 50% discount on food that otherwise should be thrown away.

If you think that is not worth appreciation, go look in Big C xtra when they fill the fridge with discounted products in the evening. I see a lot of people, which appear out of nothing as if someone blew a whistle, and who can't wait for the staff to move the goods from the containers into the fridge.

Note that there are rarely Thais in that bunch grabbing at the discounted goods as if their lives depend on it.

Your claim is BS:

go look in Big C xtra when they fill the fridge with discounted products in the evening. I see a lot of people, which appear out of nothing as if someone blew a whistle, and who can't wait for the staff to move the goods from the containers into the fridge.

I am often in there, picking up ridiculously overpriced products for half price; such as Prosciutto crudo San Danielle, down from 320 baht to 160 baht. There are usually Thais there when I arrive, picking up the kind of products they like; chicken sausages etc. Sometimes not even waiting until I have finished my selection, but just diving in.

They are there every time that I am there. Foreigners and Thais, commensurate with the kind of products for sale.

So your claim is simply untrue.