Thailand’s vaccine shopping list as COVID surges

webfact

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The importance of telling people that the first dose Sinovac is not very effective is paramount to avoid complacency as we have seen in a few high profile Ministers here in Thailand that have caught Covid after receiving the first dose of Sinovac.

Totally agree with you, but some of that info is very new, and still more data is coming for all vaccines. My gf, and many other people we know also got the first Sinovac jab. I had an impression they were not really briefed how much protection they got after the first jab.

Now since that info is widely available, the government should step up and be open and honest with the public about the effectiveness of the first jab.  Hopefully...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's funny how many of the same people saying the vaccine need and effectiveness is being overstated are also saying that the worldwide Covid numbers are being overstated to scare people.  

You can't have high covid numbers, because the vaccine is not effective, and at the same time not have high covid numbers, because gov'ts are making that up to scare people.

Whatever it takes to fit their narrative that's what they claim to believe even when it conflicts. 

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, shdmn said:

It's funny how many of the same people saying the vaccine need and effectiveness is being overstated are also saying that the worldwide Covid numbers are being overstated to scare people.  Whatever it takes to fit their narrative that's what they claim to believe even when it conflicts. 

The majority of those are just the tin foil hat brigade in disguise, their easy to spot and deal with

If Thailand wants vaccine, they need to shop around.  I found this article about the Pfizer/BioNTech ramp-up interesting.  https://www.biopharma-reporter.com/Article/2021/03/31/Pfizer-and-BioNTech-ramp-up-COVID-19-vaccine-production-to-2.5-billion-doses

"Pfizer and BioNTech expect to expand COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing capacity to up to 2.5 billion doses by the end of 2021".

They have signed orders for 1.4 billion doses, so maybe Thailand can buy some of the other billion doses they expect to produce.  The U.S. has already received 134 million of the 300 million doses they ordered.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

If Thailand wants vaccine, they need to shop around.  I found this article about the Pfizer/BioNTech ramp-up interesting.  https://www.biopharma-reporter.com/Article/2021/03/31/Pfizer-and-BioNTech-ramp-up-COVID-19-vaccine-production-to-2.5-billion-doses

"Pfizer and BioNTech expect to expand COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing capacity to up to 2.5 billion doses by the end of 2021".

They have signed orders for 1.4 billion doses, so maybe Thailand can buy some of the other billion doses they expect to produce.  The U.S. has already received 134 million of the 300 million doses they ordered.

The WSJ reported that EU plans to order an additional 900mn doses, so Thailand should get their order in soon.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 4:26 PM, malibukid said:

will Thailand honor vaccine passports.  at this point i am willing to fly home to  get vaccinated in my own country rather than wait for the roll out here.

My plan too.

Novavax has been working on a vaccine for a year.  Even though it is still in the trial stage, they are manufacturing it.  So that's another possible source.

"Novavax expects to apply for emergency use authorization for its Covid-19 vaccine sometime in the second quarter of this year. But the company is already manufacturing the vaccine at 10 sites in eight countries -- with two sites in the United States: North Carolina and Texas."

Part of their process involves infecting fall armyworm insects.  So maybe they are working the bugs out of their production process.  (sorry)

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/01/health/novavax-covid-19-vaccine-how-it-works-wellness-explainer/index.html

On 4/18/2021 at 4:41 AM, Cake Monster said:

After rejecting the Covax program, and the generous offer of 2 Million Vaccines from India, how has he got the front to openly ask for International help now over Vaccines.

They claimed it was a bad deal for Thailand. At this point, I think they will take any deal that they can get.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:41 AM, Dogmatix said:

Now, Thailand must wait to find out whether the manufacturers will agree to provide supplies amid the huge global demand for COVID vaccines.

Another excuse to pretend to be doing something but continue doing nothing as they are happy with the arrangements they have already made. He and his buddies have grabbed vacines for themselves and their families and now the peasantry can face the music without protection. Soon we will hear that Pfizer and Moderna didn't reply to their emails but CP Group will import the Sputnik vaccine.

Can also blame outsiders, in this case many of them of European ancestry, for trying to hurt Thailand  if the need arises. It is like they are saying, "We have done everything we can. It is now up to others to help us."

On 4/18/2021 at 2:36 AM, jackdd said:

I guess you missed the news where China themself said that their vaccine has a low efficacy: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/11/china-considers-mixing-covid-vaccines-to-give-greater-protection

Considering they are using the old-tech same as the standard flu vaccine which is normally only 30-35% effective. the quoted "as low as 50.4%" is fairly decent outcome. I read as low as, to mean could be higher depending on the strain.

someone else a week of so ago quoted some South American study "Chili maybe?" that said it was only 3% effective, but further reading of the article discloses that was a few days after the initial jab, which is just media hype.  To reach full effective immunity "at least to the vaccine quoted" takes 14 days after being fully vaccinated... immunity always starts at 0% and slowly rises during the 14 day waiting period, and doesn't matter what vaccine you get, none are immediately full immunity. Much of the media hype, is just that... hyperbole!

Of course, now would be prudent for the government to try to acquire vaccines from several sources. True, that all current vaccines are only approved under emergency orders, I still rather take them vs waiting 4-5 years for the official approval nod, vs waking up dead one day.

I had the 1st Phiser shot Jan20th and 2nd Feb 11th, and reached the full effective immunity "for Phiser level 97-98%" Feb 25, and still kicking about... some mild reaction on 1st shot, but nothing to serious.

Thailand recently announced they would soon be accepting foreigners who had proof of any of 9 different vaccines before arriving. This would be a decent list to start with to try to procure vaccines, I would think.

Much more FREE testing for everyone is a good place to start if we really want to understand the true rate of infection, vs. requiring people to have full blown symptoms first, most cases are asymptomatic or mild cases "that can be confused with the common cold".

eff50point4.jpg

V is for Vendetta 

Let's not procure any imported vaccine.

Instead we can copy it and make it here. 

We will make all the money back we are losing from thai exports and  the hospitality industries.

We will make it nearly impossible via our own draconian ways of bureaucracy to obtain an import license and distributstion.

Dame be the sick and the poor.  We are the government and this is how do business with the world!

Us and Them!