Best car for under 4,000,000

pedro01

4 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Range Rovers notoriously  unreliable

Not too sure that is fully deserved nowadays......I have had a new Range Rover every year for the past 8 years, the last four were SVR's....nothing but praise for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Not too sure that is fully deserved nowadays......I have had a new Range Rover every year for the past 8 years, the last four were SVR's....nothing but praise for them.

Agreed, up to 3 years ago I had an LR Evoque here. One of the best cars I have owned and I have had far more exotic cars than that over the years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

Agreed, up to 3 years ago I had an LR Evoque here. One of the best cars I have owned and I have had far more exotic cars than that over the years.

They really turned themselves around...Tata was it?.......Just threw money at it....poached the best in the world from BMW and Mercedes and left them to it.

Edited by Surelynot

4 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

They really turned themselves around...Tata was it?.......Just threw money at it....poached the best in the world from BMW and Mercedes and left them to it.

Yes quite a transformation, wouldn't touch a LR or Jag in the UK for the simple reason of their unreliability. In comes the Indians with Tata and yes what a turnaround. Same can be said for Geely and Volvo, staid old fashioned cars living out their lives on the "safety" image and look at them now. Taken over by Ford who managed to lose further value as a volume car maker until Geely came along. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THEN said:

Did you look at the Toyota Supra? It is the same engine as the m40i.

I think there is a good chance Toyota will reduce the price on the Supra. Maybe at the next Motorshow?

5.199 mio thb. seems a bit steep when comparing with C43 or m340i at 4 mio thb. And both with much more equipment.

One of our friends just got the m340i and stopped by, power wise it feels very similar to the C43. Youtube videos shows it is quite a bit faster and I did not want to ruin my day by racing him and lose, also no point as the m340i is faster. The Inline 6 feels a bit more responsive than the V6 of the C43 and pulls hard all the way, where C43 fade a bit out in the top rpms. 

pedro01 I look forward t hear what you think of the engine compared to C43.

I didn't look @ the Supra as my (blown) budget was 4,000,000 - I didn't even look @ the Z4, I just presumed it was out of range, then my 11 year old said "dad, this one's the same price" - then I blew the budget going for the bigger engine...

Will do - I'm expecting it to be the same or close enough to not be able to tell - but BMW have a habit of under-rating the power of their cars.  Let's hope so, anyway....

Edited by pedro01
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I wouldnt spend that  money on any car in Thailand due to the fact someone will smash into it at somepoint.

Range Rovers notoriously  unreliable although inside  warranty should  be ok, I would go for the Lexus for reliability customer service etc, not the raciest but  will still be going years  down the line.

Has to be said - my 5-series was a Somchai magnet.

But, we've been lucky with the others - apart from my wife's parking issues. 

On 4/25/2021 at 12:10 PM, pedro01 said:

The A200 AMG eh? I haven't seen that here but a friend in the UK has one and loves it. Looks like a lot of fun that! 

We got the Z4 M40i, which was about 700k over budget. But I thought it was better to have the 3.0 V6 than the regular Z4 2.0.

Basically, Wife chose the car, I chose the engine and for once, we agreed on the color!

Congrats on that mate. Very nice motor. I was a Bimmer man back in the day but recently only had MBs because of the choice of Bimmers available here.

The A200 is a lot of fun, Garrett turbo coupled with the 1.3L engine gives it a 0-60 of 7.5s and a top speed of around 220kph. Arguably quicker than the CLS I was thinking about getting and it feels a lot quicker probably because it is a lot smaller. Just found out it has launch assist enabled so will be testing that out tonight.

Interior is mint too with the ambient lighting, MBUX and AMG package which gives you the stitched steering wheel, seats and door panels. It's a nice place to be and you are low on the ground which gives it a more sporty feel than the C or E class. 

Overall I am happy with it so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Congrats on that mate. Very nice motor. I was a Bimmer man back in the day but recently only had MBs because of the choice of Bimmers available here.

The A200 is a lot of fun, Garrett turbo coupled with the 1.3L engine gives it a 0-60 of 7.5s and a top speed of around 220kph. Arguably quicker than the CLS I was thinking about getting and it feels a lot quicker probably because it is a lot smaller. Just found out it has launch assist enabled so will be testing that out tonight.

Interior is mint too with the ambient lighting, MBUX and AMG package which gives you the stitched steering wheel, seats and door panels. It's a nice place to be and you are low on the ground which gives it a more sporty feel than the C or E class. 

Overall I am happy with it so far.

You don't have to answer but I have to ask - how fast have you been in it? And how did it feel at that speed?

On 5/7/2021 at 7:04 PM, pedro01 said:

You don't have to answer but I have to ask - how fast have you been in it? And how did it feel at that speed?

I have been 170kph in it and it was steady as. I had to back off because of traffic. With the missus in the car she had to keep telling me the speed as I simply don't notice any discernable difference in a straight line as fast as I have driven so far.

The whole driver's display is fully customisable, even has a G-force meter which I did not expect for a car in this class. Normally I will have it on the sport display where it shows all the engine performance details on the second screen including current kilowatt and torque figures. In this mode it also sets the interior lights to the same colour as the gauges which is trick.

This guy is doing 220 on the autobahn, same engine but this is the hatchback. 

On 5/7/2021 at 12:15 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

I wouldnt spend that  money on any car in Thailand due to the fact someone will smash into it at somepoint.

Range Rovers notoriously  unreliable although inside  warranty should  be ok, I would go for the Lexus for reliability customer service etc, not the raciest but  will still be going years  down the line.

I'm gonna sound like a meanie saying this.

But anyone that  says "I wouldn't spend that money" is saying that it would be a stretch to buy it in the first place.

So why is it people are so keen to come here and say why they are so streetwise, they wouldn't buy it? After all if I said "I wouldn't want to spend a month's salary on a car in case someone scratches it" - you would say it was nonsense. 

Yesterday, somebody scratched my AMG - a motorbike in Bangkok. I'll have it fixed, along with the ding I made backing into my bicycle in it. Regardless of which car you have, Bangkok will take it's toll - but you can't tell me James Bond is gonna turn down his Aston Martin in favor of a Mitsubishi Mirage because the former might get scratched. 

A job only gets you so far. Let's say at most a million Baht a month as the MD of a major international company. Most here aren't at that level. But have your own business and you can go way beyond that without being Elon Musk - just takes an idea and graft. 

But there's people that can buy 4M Baht cars, there's people that can buy 10M Baht cars, and 30M and beyond.  I am perplexed at the need for people to justify not buying things they rightly shouldn't be buying in the 1st place. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 7:21 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

I have been 170kph in it and it was steady as. I had to back off because of traffic. With the missus in the car she had to keep telling me the speed as I simply don't notice any discernable difference in a straight line as fast as I have driven so far.

The whole driver's display is fully customisable, even has a G-force meter which I did not expect for a car in this class. Normally I will have it on the sport display where it shows all the engine performance details on the second screen including current kilowatt and torque figures. In this mode it also sets the interior lights to the same colour as the gauges which is trick.

This guy is doing 220 on the autobahn, same engine but this is the hatchback. 

That's nuts. 

8 hours ago, pedro01 said:

But there's people that can buy 4M Baht cars, there's people that can buy 10M Baht cars, and 30M and beyond.  I am perplexed at the need for people to justify not buying things they rightly shouldn't be buying in the 1st place. 

Exactly. Only poor people buy cars that cost less.

I'm people even more perplexed when people need to justify buying things they rightly shouldn't be buying in the first place. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Exactly. Only poor people buy cars that cost less.

I'm people even more perplexed when people need to justify buying things they rightly shouldn't be buying in the first place. 

Well - I think Warren Buffet probably has an opinion on that - doesn't he drive an old station wagon? Mind you - he does have a private jet.

As for people justifying things they shouldn't be buying - isn't that called the "loan approval process"?

4 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Well - I think Warren Buffet probably has an opinion on that - doesn't he drive an old station wagon? Mind you - he does have a private jet.

As for people justifying things they shouldn't be buying - isn't that called the "loan approval process"?

Yeah, people with real money don't worry about impressing parking attendants with their cars...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Show off time ?

It's a motoring forum. Can't be all Toyota Vios can it?

But buying a 2 seater convertible that goes to 100kmh in 3.9 seconds isn't showing off. We won't be anywhere long enough to see.

59 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Toyota Fortuner would be my choice, but it looks like your wife is after a different caliber of prestige.

I think she's just stress testing my wallet.

• Haha 1

Still 10 days left and I'm getting impatient.

I went to the car wash yesterday, came back all shiny and the wife borrowed it (hers has gone already) and muddied it up, left a starbucks empty in there, cables all over the place.

Ugh. 

Asian woman (Thai) farmer | Asian woman, Women, Asian

This is from the latest open air Transportation Expo '21.  They also have pretty girls promoting the vehicles in a more natural setting.

All leather exterior, nothing feels flimsy and no plastic bits. Suspension is a little so so but the fuel consumption is good.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

This is from the latest open air Transportation Expo '21.  They also have pretty girls promoting the vehicles in a more natural setting.

All leather exterior, nothing feels flimsy and no plastic bits. Suspension is a little so so but the fuel consumption is good.

That picture is giving me the horn.

7 hours ago, josthomz said:

Don't get offended buddy, but if budget was tight... I'd rather buy a second-hand "proper Benz". 

And by "proper Benz" I mean one which doesn't have a frigging Renault engine. 

If I buy Mercedes I want Mercedes.... Can't believe people buy those things really.

lol - yeah - who would want those horrible Formula 1 people designing your engine?

7 hours ago, josthomz said:

When certain people claim, 'I could afford buying a Germa", but they do nothing different compared to a Toyota Vios, so I buy the Vios...' 

What they really mean is: 'I might have enough money in my bank to purchase a German car, but then I'd be left with nothing or barely anything'

That's definitely not being able to afford a German. That's just a pathetic attempt at trying to prove that you are not completely broke online. Which is even more ridiculous, given that you drive a Vios. 

There is no excuse for a car enthusiast not to buy the car he likes and can afford. For some people 4M Baht is pocket money, for others 30M Baht is pocket money, and they can throw it at away at a car without thinking twice about the money. 

The only real exception to this could be, someone who doesn't need a car, and who dislikes cars and, who despite having money decides not to buy a car and put that money to use somewhere else. But again that person wouldn't be driving a Vios either....

Odd thing is - they sell 25,000 of these cars in Thailand each year.

I don't see how they are for the rich. 

Cars are simply more expensive here. Food is cheaper. Houses are cheaper. It's just factored into the cost of living.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Have you tried putting it in Sports+ Mode?

Buffalo gets out!! | African animals photography, African buffalo, African  animals

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Odd thing is - they sell 25,000 of these cars in Thailand each year.

I don't see how they are for the rich. 

Cars are simply more expensive here. Food is cheaper. Houses are cheaper. It's just factored into the cost of living.

Only some cars are more expensive, and only some food is cheaper. Houses are only cheaper in the less popular areas. 

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2021 at 12:15 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

overpriced !

it seems that any japanese car that is a bit better than the usual $$hit trucks and vios are more expensive than good benz and bmw !

who really spends 5 millions on a $$$hit jap car ?!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, josthomz said:

When certain people claim, 'I could afford buying a Germa", but they do nothing different compared to a Toyota Vios, so I buy the Vios...' 

What they really mean is: 'I might have enough money in my bank to purchase a German car, but then I'd be left with nothing or barely anything'

That's definitely not being able to afford a German. That's just a pathetic attempt at trying to prove that you are not completely broke online. Which is even more ridiculous, given that you drive a Vios. 

There is no excuse for a car enthusiast not to buy the car he likes and can afford. For some people 4M Baht is pocket money, for others 30M Baht is pocket money, and they can throw it at away at a car without thinking twice about the money. 

The only real exception to this could be, someone who doesn't need a car, and who dislikes cars and, who despite having money decides not to buy a car and put that money to use somewhere else. But again that person wouldn't be driving a Vios either....

Clearly the only truth ! It's so funny how these cheap charlies cannot accept what they really are !

• Like 1