Best car for under 4,000,000

pedro01

On 4/27/2021 at 7:18 PM, THEN said:

The C63 is only 6 mio THB more than OPs thread! marginally faster than a C43 and the 4wd of C43 suits Thai roads better.

When comparing the C63 with current M3 or M4 CS I would chose the BMW any day at a lower cost. The inline 6 engine is a beast and sounds like a beast.

2022 C63 will be a 4 pot engine, but including electric turbo chargers and batteries from Formula 1.

No doubt it will be fast, but my main target with our C43 was to get something sporty and min 5-6 cyl without "hybrid".

I mention 5 cyl as my previous Audi RS2 was the absolute fastest car I have owned and the sound of 5 cyl reving to 10k rpm with a GT35R turbo beats the sound from a 6/8/12 cyl engine any day. If you ask me..

The OP was asking for opinions on cars up to 4 million in value. I guess he didn't appreciate that his thread would become a "my c***s bigger than yours" one. 

7 minutes ago, Excel said:

The OP was asking for opinions on cars up to 4 million in value. I guess he didn't appreciate that his thread would become a "my c***s bigger than yours" one. 

Exactly, so why bring up a C63 V8 at 10 mil+ thb?

On 4/26/2021 at 4:34 AM, VYCM said:

Buy the C63, the V8 sounds awesome, music to the ears.

It really doesn't matter what model car, a six cylinder exhaust sounds horrible.

I was referring to this comment, which is 6+ mio thb higher

15 minutes ago, Excel said:

I don't read it that way

I think he's a fellow C43 owner defending his beloved's vocal chords.

And remember - this IS a motoring forum - car enthusiasts should be welcomed to discuss their cars.

We should not have to constantly bat off Toyota Vios owners for our poor judgement - we KNOW we have poor judgement - we are debating car noises here! I doubt any of us is going to be up for a peace prize! Certainly not an environmental award.

11 minutes ago, THEN said:

Well - someone mentioned the C43 sounding <deleted> and the C63 being the dogs.

The difference between the 2 being:

- 115 HP

- 2 cylinders

- $258,000

- RWD in the 63 vs AWD in the 43

To me - that's not many extra horses for the quarter mill. But I'd have a go in one!

Edited by pedro01

4 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

I don't read it that way

I think he's a fellow C43 owner defending his beloved's vocal chords.

And remember - this IS a motoring forum - car enthusiasts should be welcomed to discuss their cars.

We should not have to constantly bat off Toyota Vios owners for our poor judgement - we KNOW we have poor judgement - we are debating car noises here! I doubt any of us is going to be up for a peace prize! Certainly not an environmental award.

Well if you wanted a general discussion then why mention a 4 mill price, which the C43 or RS2 are not ? Sorry for the confusion if discussing cars up to and including the 4 mill was not your intention after all

2 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Well - someone mentioned the C43 sounding <deleted> and the C63 being the dogs.

The difference between the 2 being:

- 115 HP

- 2 cylinders

- $258,000

To me - that's not many extra horses for the quarter mill. 

Pedro01 you will be surprised about the power from the BMW 40i I6 engine, it revs much faster and will be more brutal than C43.

I dont think Performance exhaust is an option on the C43 in Thailand, but never the less the M40i will give you more pops and bangs / enjoyment, exhaust opening comes as standard on 40i and if you drive the car in Sport+ it will sound better than C43 as it revs faster.

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well if you wanted a general discussion then why mention a 4 mill price, which the C43 or RS2 are not ? Sorry for the confusion if discussing cars up to and including the 4 mill was not your intention after all

Sorry for bringing in an old 1992 Audi RS2 into the picture (nothing to do with OP's thread just stating a 5-6 cyl engine sounds very good at high rpms.)

If there is a Audi RS2 registered in Thailand I would be interested to purchase it.

10 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well - it's a conversation and like many - conversations veer off. 

But - I own a C43 and I got it at over 300k discount from the sticker price - so yeah, it was under 4 mill. Comparing that with its bigger brother is only natural. 

8 minutes ago, THEN said:

Pedro01 you will be surprised about the power from the BMW 40i I6 engine, it revs much faster and will be more brutal than C43.

I dont think Performance exhaust is an option on the C43 in Thailand, but never the less the M40i will give you more pops and bangs / enjoyment, exhaust opening comes as standard on 40i and if you drive the car in Sport+ it will sound better than C43 as it revs faster.

That's something to look forward to - I will have to give it the noise test - I'd heard the 40i was quieter!

On 4/26/2021 at 4:34 AM, VYCM said:

Buy the C63, the V8 sounds awesome, music to the ears.

It really doesn't matter what model car, a six cylinder exhaust sounds horrible.

On 4/26/2021 at 11:35 AM, pedro01 said:

Nope - the C43 is known for it's vocal chords. It's no slouch.

A close friend of mine here in Thailand owns a CLA45S AMG 4Matic+. It is a 2.0L in-line 4 engine with 421 horsepower stock, but he tuned it to stage 2 at Motion Garage in Bangkok and now his 2.0L engine pulls around 500 horsepower. It is a beast and does 0-100 at around 3.6-3.7s. 

The sound is incredibly amazing for only an in-line 4. Seriously I can't feel much difference between the C43 AMG and the CLA45S. That engine is a beast. 

You don't need a V8 to get music to the ears out of your car. What you need IMO is a supercharger, the supercharger whine sounds at least to me way nicer than any sound a turbo can make. Wish MB would use more superchargers, being a MB fan I would love to have a supercharged MB. 

And no, I don't mean an E200 Kompressor (what was MB thinking??). I currently drive a stage 2 E320 CDI straight piped without dpf and egr and it pulls around 290 HP and 590 Nm of torque. The sound is also incredible. OM648 Mercedes in-line 6 diesel engine. 

Hell diesels are awesome, I love the power they pull when you floor them. I would pay a lot of money to get an E420 CDI (Diesel V8) here in Thailand, that is a real best. But I have yet to find one here. 

I know guys, you love gasoline and you all will hate and laugh at me for saying these words.... But I love Diesels and always been on the Diesel side. Though I am afraid in the near future I will have to finally ditch Diesel ????

Edited by expatjustice

2 minutes ago, THEN said:

Sorry for bringing in an old 1992 Audi RS2 into the picture (nothing to do with OP's thread just stating a 5-6 cyl engine sounds very good at high rpms.)

If there is a Audi RS2 registered in Thailand I would be interested to purchase it.

No idea - my last car in UK - late 90's was a 2.5 V6 Alpha 155 - but I wouldn't want that now - I think all the tech in the new cars makes them more fun.

1 minute ago, THEN said:

An ex work colleague has one  and he lives in Chaeng Wattana and he bought it as a grey import. He is currently in Dubai but although he has had it a while I doubt if he is selling it, but I will ask him next time I contact him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, expatjustice said:

A close friend of mine here in Thailand owns a CLA45S AMG 4Matic+. It is a 2.0L in-line 4 engine with 421 horsepower stock, but he tuned it to stage 2 at Motion Garage in Bangkok and now his 2.0L engine pulls around 500 horsepower. It is a beast and does 0-100 at around 3.6-3.7s. 

The sound is incredibly amazing for only an in-line 4. Seriously I can't feel much difference between the C43 AMG and the CLA45S. That engine is a beast. 

You don't need a V8 to get music to the ears out of your car. What you need IMO is a supercharger, the supercharger whine sounds at least to me way nicer than any sound a turbo can make. Wish MB would use more superchargers, being a MB fan I would love to have a supercharged MB. 

And no, I don't mean an E200 Kompressor. I currently drive a stage 2 E320 CDI straight piped without dpf and egr and it pulls around 290 HP and 590 Nm of torque. The sound is also incredible. OM648 Mercedes in-line 6 diesel engine. 

Hell diesels are awesome, I love the power they pull when you floor them. I would pay a lot of money to get an E420 CDI (Diesel V8) here in Thailand, that is a real best. But I have yet to find one here. 

I know guys, you love gasoline and you all will hate and laugh at me for saying these words.... But I love Diesels and always been on the Diesel side. Though I am afraid in the near future I will have to finally ditch Diesel ????

Jeez - what's the life expectancy of that 2.0l pulling 500? A week?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

Jeez - what's the life expectancy of that 2.0l pulling 500? A week?

AFAIK his stage2 implied only replacing the exhaust system, modifying the cooling system... and ECU remap of course. 

But yes, the chaps over at Motion Garage told him it won't be too long until he may need to rebuild the engine. But that would be the perfect time for him to reinforce the engine, replace cams etc etc. 

He could have gone at least for the C43 AMG, but he really was keen on getting the 2.0l for some reason and tuning it... And I am sure that reason was not the price.. I guess it has to do with the fact that he likes going to the track and "drifting" it, and the C43 AMG I believe doesn't have drift mode and thus virtually impossible to "drift" it, right??

Edited by expatjustice

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

An ex work colleague has one  and he lives in Chaeng Wattana and he bought it as a grey import. He is currently in Dubai but although he has had it a while I doubt if he is selling it, but I will ask him next time I contact him

Please pm me if it is an original Audi RS2. I love that car and engine - though older now

3 minutes ago, expatjustice said:

AFAIK his stage2 implied only replacing the exhaust system, modifying the cooling system... and ECU remap of course. 

But yes, the chaps over at Motion Garage told him it won't be too long until he may need to rebuild the engine. But that would be the perfect time for him to reinforce the engine, replace cams etc etc. 

He could have gone at least for the C43 AMG, but he really was keen on getting the 2.0l for some reason and tuning it... And I am sure that reason was not the price.. 

The reason is the C43 V6 is quite restricted on tuning. Especially when comparing to BMW 3.0 inline 6. A standard M3 Competitions banks 500hp, but my friend has been running a stage 2 kit for nearly 2 years with 630 hp and 820nm. If we are talking cars in the 4-5 mio thb class in Thailand then the M40i will be extremely easy to tune compared to C43 - and the best bang for your buck if you like hp and nm.

OP: we look forward to hear your feedback on this car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THEN said:

Perhaps because 4 million is all they're worth. Without paying stupid taxes.

If some-one has the funds, there's no reason why they shouldn't 'go for it'. if they like it. Free markets and all that entails.

Edited by alacrity
spell checker u/s
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, alacrity said:

Perhaps because 4 million is all they're worth. Without paying stupid taxes.

If some-one has the funds, there's no reason why they shouldn't 'go for it'. if they like it. Free markets and all that entails.

Our C43 is still 1 mio thb lower than in my home country. Yes it is a baby AMG, but it adds some positive energy to my life just to have sufficient power to overtake when needed. And the multibeam LED headlights has potentially saved us from rear-ending 1-2 motorbikes in the middle of a dark road without rear lights.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 10:57 PM, pedro01 said:

What specifically makes the Jazz the best car under 4 million in your opinion?

Which other options in the 4M range did you look at, before deciding on the Jazz?

I was not looking in the 4 million range as all I wanted was good value for money and a reliable car that would last for a very long time (e.g. another 20 years).   I have owned Honda before and like the durability of their engines plus it is advantageous I find to stay with the same model car (you get used to them and what is likely to go wrong). I considered Honda City but liked the Jazz layout better - more room inside and I like the hatchback vs a traditional trunk (boot for you Brits)....no need to worry about perishables when the groceries are loaded in. Also liked the option of folding down the back seats, easy for when buying something large.

You likely have different considerations but for me, no advantage to a 4 million car over one under 1 million, in terms of what i consider important so why spend that much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, expatjustice said:

He could have gone at least for the C43 AMG, but he really was keen on getting the 2.0l for some reason and tuning it... And I am sure that reason was not the price.. I guess it has to do with the fact that he likes going to the track and "drifting" it, and the C43 AMG I believe doesn't have drift mode and thus virtually impossible to "drift" it, right??

You can't drift the C43 that I know of - and the odd thing about AWD is that you don't seem to get any indication that it's going to give up a bit of steer either way. I had one occasion when we had a disagreement as to which way the front and rear should be facing - and I'd be happy to not repeat that. 

As for your mate with 2.0 at 500hp - that's a pricey rebuild relative to the price of the car.

Me - I like something fun but I try to get something I am happy with out of the box - the closer to maximum you operate any machine, the less it lasts. 

I'm here to enjoy a car, not kill the poor thing. 

13 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

You can't drift the C43 that I know of - and the odd thing about AWD is that you don't seem to get any indication that it's going to give up a bit of steer either way. I had one occasion when we had a disagreement as to which way the front and rear should be facing - and I'd be happy to not repeat that. 

As for your mate with 2.0 at 500hp - that's a pricey rebuild relative to the price of the car.

Me - I like something fun but I try to get something I am happy with out of the box - the closer to maximum you operate any machine, the less it lasts. 

I'm here to enjoy a car, not kill the poor thing. 

Exactly the CLA45S although it is an AWD it has this drift mode thingy which allows for 100% of the engine power going to the rear wheels to go into only one of the rear wheels. It is extremely fun to sit in that car while they are drifting it.

And the pull that car makes at 500hp is insane, you can hardly believe it. 

Anyway I’ll still be dreaming of the E420 CDI. Nothing can compare to diesel’s torque!

41 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I was not looking in the 4 million range as all I wanted was good value for money and a reliable car that would last for a very long time (e.g. another 20 years).   I have owned Honda before and like the durability of their engines plus it is advantageous I find to stay with the same model car (you get used to them and what is likely to go wrong). I considered Honda City but liked the Jazz layout better - more room inside and I like the hatchback vs a traditional trunk (boot for you Brits)....no need to worry about perishables when the groceries are loaded in. Also liked the option of folding down the back seats, easy for when buying something large.

You likely have different considerations but for me, no advantage to a 4 million car over one under 1 million, in terms of what i consider important so why spend that much.

To be fair - my last reply to you was a tongue-in-cheek, I already knew you weren't looking in the 4 million range. 

But - not everybody considers 4 million "that much". Different people have different levels of disposable income. I would guess if we put it in terms of number of months savings - disposable income we don't spend, I likely spent fewer months savings on this car than you did on yours. 

So "not much", "what is important" and "storing groceries" are all different for us all - but one strange thing - I've not witnessed any wealthier people looking down at the fact I cannot afford what they have. There is a definite trend of one group looking down on the decisions of another here, right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

But - not everybody considers 4 million "that much". Different people have different levels of disposable income. I would guess if we put it in terms of number of months savings - disposable income we don't spend, I likely spent fewer months savings on this car than you did on yours. 

It is my personal opinion, that a person shouldn't spend more than 5% of their assets in a car (in technical terms to not spend more than you can afford). So someone who spends 4 Million on a car should have assets totaling at least 80 Million THB. I am quite sure this is the case for you, Pedro. 

But a simple glance at any Thai road, will clearly proof that the majority of 4 Million cars you see around (BMW, Mercedes, etc...) are owned by people who have no other assets besides the 4 Mil THB car and even that is only possible thanks to credit.... That's where a 4 Million car becomes a problem. 

In any other case, no matter how hard you try to put it and how good you claim a 500,000 THB car is. It cant ever compare to a 4 Million car, there is a reason why one is worth 4 million and the other 500,000, and no, it's not just the brand name, far more than that. More quality = More money. The same way a 15 Mill car is way better than a 4 Mil one. 

I don't look down on someone who owns a Honda Jazz, but I do look down on whoever owns a brand new Mercedes and lives at a 5000 THB month studio, eating instant noodles while living a miserable life to pay for their car. That is being a total clown.