Provincial Education Office wants to keep my passport

I am in the process of applying for a WP in Phang Nga. I've got everything sorted out, have a valid Teaching License, Non O visa, medical, etc. Before  I can apply for the WP at the Labour Department, the provincial Education Department needs to sign off some documents.

They wish to see and keep my original degrees, wedding certificate, and passport for around 7 business days. 

I feel very uncomfortable to hand over my passport during this Covid period, with potential lockdowns, and wonder if anyone has ever heard of this.

This will be my 5th WP (other schools), and I never had to give my passport for more than a couple of hours.

Edited by SoilSpoil

I agree with what others have said.  You keep the original documents.  They can make as many photocopies as they want.  The passport stays with you.  Again, they can make as many photocopies as they like.  If stopped by the police and they as to see your passport you will need to be able to show them.  Supposedly a photocopy of your passport info page and current visa is good enough but not all the BIB are up on this.  

Take the originals and good quality colored photocopies to the your local Amphoe, slip them a few hundred Baht and ask them to certify (in Thai) the copies, sign them and stamp the copies with their district Amphoe stamp. 

• Like 1