60+ provinces in Thailand now issuing fines for not wearing face masks

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Why, when driving motorbike with a helmet on, at 40 kph with no-one in front of me. Any logic in it?

i Know,

still, beats paying 20,000 big ones eh !

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, Ventenio said:

what if you are exercising?  i'm in a red zone and have seen hundreds of people exercising without a mask.  

i would say that it is very likely that wearing a mask while exercising 

would be detrimental to you're health.

(not sure what the rules on this are here though)

30 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

Yes, adequate lung/body protection does cost money. So do the effectively worthless paper, surgical/masks. I have found a way to stretch a single TG-50SV (including the spare filter) to two months of use.

I have every TG-50SV mask I ever purchased and used as well as the dirty filters and will retain them (dozens) until I can find a suitable recycler (or not).

As a matter of fact, I do wear white cotton, washable work gloves when cycling (19 Baht at FoodLand). I will continue to wear them if for no other reasons than to keep my hands clean and to make any turn hand-signals I may make (rarely) more visible to other people.

Security blanket? Do you have a problem with security from airborne pollution and pathogens? I haven't had even a cold since 2016 when I seriously started using these masks on a full-time basis. I'll take the security over pathogens, Thank You very much!

One has to use common sense when deciding to wear a mask or not. I live and cycle in dirty, noisy central Bangkok so it's a 'no-brainer' for me. Stay safe and secure!

Ok, I now understand that you are cycling I. Bangkok, so what you do is a good idea. 

But, if you were cycling in rural Chiang Mai in the rainy season you would not need all that stuff. Your hands would not get dirty and there is no air pollution. 

I admire your courage to cycle in Bangkok. But, even with your gloves and mask, I think you are at much bigger danger from traffic accidents than dirty hands or pollen. 

Ok I have no objection to this on wearing a mask I am so ugly anyway and mask would be an improvement . But think about this one guys? 70% of all accidents on the road involve motorbikes. So what is the fine for not wearing a helmet on a motorbike and dont tell me motor bike accidents cause less deaths than covid? In fact they would cause heaps more deaths than covid in one day. So what is the fine for not wearing a helmet? Its 20,000 for covid

• Like 2

Really?

This late morning I went food shopping at Hua Hin Market Village - over a ten minute period I saw 3 young farangs (not together) walking around without face masks; all Thais I saw were wearing masks, even toddlers.  Who is policing this new regulation?  Shoud we be photographing these offenders and shaming them online?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

20 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

Really?

This late morning I went food shopping at Hua Hin Market Village - over a ten minute period I saw 3 young farangs (not together) walking around without face masks; all Thais I saw were wearing masks, even toddlers.  Who is policing this new regulation?  Shoud we be photographing these offenders and shaming them online?

you can take the law into your own hands.......not

OK, you take their picture, shame them, have them hate you for life...maybe blame you for everything.....then shame you for shaming them.  full-out war with them.......why not, they will not be happy?

if you are going to do this.....go and take pictures of all prostitutes, drivers without helmets, drinkers, everything.....

when i say "you", I don't really mean you.  everyone.

so yes, nothing we can do but do it ourselves.  

I used to get mad at this.....still happens a few times a year.  but i let it go and 5-minutes later I'm better for it.

even if i see a guy punching his gf......i'll keep walking.  learned through others the risk is too great.

i'm sure something bad could cross that line........sure.   haven't seen it yet.  

Can the virus follow me?

When me drive scooter?

Outside the virus fly like a bird?

And can a virus read time?

Can the virus swim in the ocean?

Must i wear a mask to at the beach?

Like scientific substantiation if there is?

Would be great that i can read this?

Is it outside so dangerous with covid?????

Can i sit outside with out a mask?

• Confused 1

On 4/24/2021 at 4:13 AM, Phuketshrew said:

Whilst I agree that everyone should "mask up" I can't help thinking that they have turned this into another nice little money spinner ....

Therein lies the problem, masks, hand sanitizer and PCR tests are all required to defeat the virus as such should all be made affordable or free for people who are below minimum wage, including children and the elderly.

But historically sad to say that Thailand is not recognised as assisting the masses.

On 4/24/2021 at 1:18 PM, ivor bigun said:

In the morning the wife and i walk ,or she runs ,we hardly ever see anyone nearer than the other side of the rd and never ever get close to anyone ,so why wear a mask?

My wife and I walk every day, and we constantly have to move to the other side of the road because of some idiot walking or running past us without a mask on....
Maybe that's why!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

On 4/24/2021 at 11:38 AM, BritManToo said:

Why would you need to wear a face mask while driving.

In a car your windows is the face mask.

On a m/c your helmet visor is a face mask.

I have been using a mask to ride my motorbike for the past 7 -8years ,it keeps the dust and road <deleted> out.

Before during the cool/dry season I was coughing a lot of could not understand why ,then I stated using face a mask and the coughing stopped .

As for saying that a helmet visor acts as a face mask ,it is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. 

• Like 2

Just now, kickstart said:

I have been using a mask to ride my motorbike for the past 7 -8years ,it keeps the dust and road <deleted> out.

Before during the cool/dry season I was coughing a lot of could not understand why ,then I stated using face a mask and the coughing stopped .

As for saying that a helmet visor acts as a face mask ,it is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. 

Medical staff seem to be wearing full face visors, so it must be worth as much as a cloth mask.

2 hours ago, whiteflight said:

My wife and I walk every day, and we constantly have to move to the other side of the road because of some idiot walking or running past us without a mask on....
Maybe that's why!

Well as its a rd out in the countryside,you would see us coming a mile off ,as we would see you ,if you came close we would put our masks on ,but then nobody has ever been less than 50ft unless  on their  motorbike or going by in a car .

• Like 1

I see people on live Thai TV wearing only plastic face shields, If I go out wearing one of those I expect trouble.

The crazy thing is seeing motorbikes with a mask and no helmet, they don't understand probability.

Q: What entails wearing a mask, covering only the mouth seems common, hanging off one ear or under the chin ok?

• Like 2

On 4/24/2021 at 2:47 AM, Captain_Bob said:

Mandatory masking and social distancing and business lock downs were an emergency first-response, but that was last year. This "government" needs to wake up and see that now is the time for nation-wide vaccinations. Make it free or low subsidized cost Pfizer/Moderna/Johnson, not that Sinovac Sputnik <deleted>. Do it NOW or else you can expect another year of dead tourism . 

I cannot understand why the hell they are not vaccinating the people ????????????????????????????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

COVID, the great reset virus, which will get rid of a lot of red necks and anti maskers, who just do not get it.

I am glad that I can buy the KN95 mask again.  As another poster says,, my coughing has stopped since I wear

a mask while riding the motorcycle. Keeps the bugs out as well.

Geezer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/24/2021 at 9:37 AM, KannikaP said:

As I have been led to believe, vaccination only minimises the effects of the virus on that person. They can still be contagous so should still wear a mask if talking directly to someone less than 2 metres from them.

Would the three members who found this funny please explain.

• Like 1

My wife has a friend who was just stopped at a police checkpoint in Lamphun for not wearing a mask in her car.
The fine?  500 THB.

I said that the 20,000 THB was never targeted at Thais as virtually no Thais can afford 20,000 THB out of pocket.

So farangs and foreigners beware.  That 20,000 THB fine is for you and I here in Prathet Xenophobia were we are collectively targeted as nothing but a source of revenue.  No wonder the TAT was broadcasting that message.  Unlike the West, racial discrimination is perfectly legal and seemingly encouraged in the Land of Hated of All Things Foreigner.  Pathetic.

In your car which is in effect a huge mask shielding you from the outside air.  Moronic.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

If you look at the air flow outside, the infected air would be swept away and very unlikely to cause transmission. There are very few recorded instances of outdoor transmission. Crowded spaces outdoors are an issue, but if people are keeping a distance outside doing things like walking or jogging ,biking without masks it should be ok and be allowed without a fine. 

NEW STUDY               https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/23/mit-researchers-say-youre-no-safer-from-covid-indoors-at-6-feet-or-60-feet-in-new-study.html

• Like 1

What's the problem about wearing masks, something we have been doing for a year already?

Is it about somebody making money? Does it matter?

If it is mandatory or just plain good sense, do it! Why stress about something that causes so little inconvenience.

I just read somewhere this morning that mandatory masks UNLESS you are exercising in phuket as I remembered reading it around the time of the last order. Now, the big question is whether they pull you over anyway since rules and regs don't seem to matter much around here. I went to the local fitness park yesterday to see if it was open and there quite a few people in there huffing and puffing with no masks. This clarification is still in effect I believe :

Edited by Tbone999
  • Like 1