60+ provinces in Thailand now issuing fines for not wearing face masks

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thirty one provinces in Thailand are now issuing fines for anyone who fails to wear a face mask when leaving their home.

77 provinces should already be getting tough with non-mask wearers.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

I wear a mask all the time unless I am at home. Sometimes a bit uncomfortable, and I have no idea how effective mask-wearing is, but it seems to me to be the smart thing to do in today's circumstances.

If you're living in an urban area it makes sense. In our small village around half of the residents are wearing them. I don't wear one when I'm doing my exercise walk, but I do if I visit the local shop or go into town.

My wife mentioned this morning about the 20K fine, but strangely, our province doesn't appear on the list.  Crossed wires again?

23 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Sorry to hear that you cannot afford a 10 baht mask.

I've been using the same mask throughout, and it was free.

But I've never worn it withing the village walls, the gate guards don't wear masks either.

MaeJo was almost deserted this afternoon, and there's an 8pm curfew apparently.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Has the making to be a very lucrative money maker. As one poster said, even while running?

No punch intended but where is it printed that you have to wear mask when outdoor and excercising? Not long ago they say dont wear a mask excercising!

Felt

• Like 1

He should rather equip this gang with both face masks and handcuffs

Prayut tells the media to stop reporting about his ministers at nightclubs - Thailand News - Thai Visa Forum

Edited by Felt 35
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Sorry to hear that you cannot afford a 10 baht mask. Maybe you can start a go fund me site.

I cannot believe the stupidity that someone (aka the government) is going to make money from masks when they are so cheap and some Tessabanns give them away for free.

He's referring  to the fines I think

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Two observations:
1.  Enforceability.  My guess is that this will be extremely difficult to enforce anywhere but in the central cities within each province and about impossible in the rural areas as their are few police and the police that are here are part of the villages. And village people don't normally get in other villagers faces.  Some villagers will wear mask, many will not.  I expect enforcement to be selective at best.
2. Ability to pay.  Unless they plan to built bigger prisons and throw those who can not pay 20,000 THB into jail, well, you can't bleed a rock.  Which brings me back to "I expect enforcement to be selective." 

I understand the enforced use of mask if people are in close proximity.  For someone working in a rice field or in the open? 
It's asinine. 

It's probably  not 20k.Anyway Peer group pressure  enforces masks too..and a sense of social responsibility and a desire to protect yourself and other people. Only a few idiots are vehemently  opposed  to masks and make an issue of it...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1