Foreigners welcomed to Phuket free.

RobMuir

For sure they do test arrivals at the airport...

My friend also went for a day trip by motorbike out of Phuket in Phang Nga and back and they just asked him a few questions and temperature check on the way back, so no test.

Maybe they don't even have test facility on land entry, good to know if they actually tested anyone there yet....! 

• Like 1

Its seems they are NOT testing everyone:

At the Phuket Check Point, at Tha Chatchai, also on Thursday, a total of 9,338 people arrived across the only bridge onto Phuket, Vice Governor Piyapong continued.

Of those, 1,290 arrivals underwent the rapid test, which requires a nasal swab,

“That saw another two people testing positive for COVID-19,” he said.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-rapid-tests-identify-four-covid-carriers-on-arrival-79785.php?fbclid=IwAR16iSXgs8OTua4MMA9ruOuWFXSUPj6gtA2o4lqxdD1gEeF547nxJZFwmwc

BUT if they found 2, i would feel safer if they increased the tests..

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

For sure they do test arrivals at the airport...

My friend also went for a day trip by motorbike out of Phuket in Phang Nga and back and they just asked him a few questions and temperature check on the way back, so no test.

Maybe they don't even have test facility on land entry, good to know if they actually tested anyone there yet....! 

They do have the test facility there. Maybe they are only testing those with a fever?

Yepp.. It is like that..

The rule right now if it is followed which i doubt is that overnight trips from phang nga(which you have to pass anyway) is met with quarantine in phuket. However.. Daystrip is not...

I have no idea how they will know the difference...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Nice stripes on your car. Mustang?

Wow, how good are you? I was going to edit that out but thought nobody would notice. You should be a detective.

20 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

If you went down on one knee she might have been your wife.

She would have.

I gave it a bit of a rev as I pulled away and left her in a steaming hot mess probably overloading her temperature checker.

I have return on Thursday so I will update if there has been any changes.

I did mention this morning's situation to a Thai I know who suggested I might have got lucky as it was before 8am and before the big boss arrived.

17 hours ago, petermik said:

Customer to shopkeeper how much is this please...

Shopkeeper replies you a local or visitor...

Customer why what`s the difference....

Shopkeeper replies more expensive for a visitor...

Customer says OK I,ll go elsewhere and buy it.....

Shopkeeper loses trade when word gets out....

OK OK he cries same price for all...

Too late says the customer....plenty of other places ????

Dual pricing is not exclusive to Thailand it happens in England, many years ago my mother owned a couple of hotels in Blackpool I even got my Fish and Chips cheaper one night because I was classed as a local, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Dual pricing is not exclusive to Thailand it happens in England, many years ago my mother owned a couple of hotels in Blackpool I even got my Fish and Chips cheaper one night because I was classed as a local, 

You mean YOU got cheaper fish & chips due to your mums business connections - what year was this again? 

On 4/27/2021 at 7:55 AM, UncleE said:

Agreed, I actually posted a comment supporting an OP who had reacted and criticised  the sideways nature of thread mentioned, but later asked for it withdrawn cause If I commented, then I'd be guilty of getting sucked off topic like the OP's critical of Phuket.  Bottom line everywhere is Thailand and it's a great place.

But it's true the Phuket haters are venomous for no reason except they're just pushing their own interests.

No, the feelings often with good reason. Live on Phuket long enough and you will understand why the feeling is so intense. The story sums up the Phuket experience: No consistency, no standard. I am both happy and concerned at OP occurrence . Happy he did not have bad outcome. Concerned because the screening was put in place for a reason.

I think we can all agree that temperature check is all for show and accomplishes nothing. What is needed is reliable screening test without treating infected like criminal. I think we can also all agree that compulsory detention upon positive test is counter productive but that is for another topic discussion.  We should not have to read a topic like this. Rather, there should be confidence that local health unit is carrying out effective useful process. OP reads like story of person living in war zone who goes out for medical care and must avoid security forces. This is not criticism of OP or event, because he gives honest, helpful statement of event, but is comment on the state of affairs, the living conditions, people now have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2021 at 9:39 AM, RobMuir said:

I am happy to report that firstly there was no delay. And more importantly I was not asked to pay 500 baht or be tested.

You seem to be one of the lucky ones out of 18,722 people who were tested so far. I hope not many more slip through like you.

Travelling Phuket expats test positive on return home

PHUKET: Two expats from Phuket have tested positive for COVID-19 at the checkpoint leading onto the island while trying to return home from travelling off-island. One of them is an Italian man who returned from a trip to Krabi, the other is a Belgium man who had returned from Bangkok after visiting the Belgium embassy to renew his passport.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/travelling-phuket-expats-test-positive-on-return-home-79820.php

Phuket rapid tests identify four COVID carriers on arrival

PHUKET: The rapid antigen tests now being conducted on people arriving in Phuket from red-zone provinces elsewhere in the country have already identified four people as COVID positive on the first day of the tests being in effect, Phuket Vice Governor Piyapong Choowong has confirmed.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-rapid-tests-identify-four-covid-carriers-on-arrival-79785.php

In total, 18, 772 people have been checked for COVID-19 when arriving on the island since the testing requirement came into effect on Apr 22, said the report.

The rapid antigen testing has so far identified 20 people as COVID carriers, the report noted.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/please-be-patient-timelines-take-time-79838.php

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

From years before covid no reason to go to Phuket unless live there and have own transport.

Greed, and disdain for their own customer, a poor value. Even for Thais the 250 baht fried rice.Kata Karon, once paradisal, now boring. Patong the pit of hell. Maybe for American tourists who have never been to Thailand before. After the airport taxi where they are charged most of what it would cost in Houston they feel as if "living like kings".

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

From years before covid no reason to go to Phuket unless live there and have own transport.

Greed, and disdain for their own customer, a poor value. Even for Thais the 250 baht fried rice.Kata Karon, once paradisal, now boring. Patong the pit of hell. Maybe for American tourists who have never been to Thailand before. After the airport taxi where they are charged most of what it would cost in Houston they feel as if "living like kings".

Anything original to say!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Anything original to say!

Yes. 4 or 5 years back some "guys" I know when to Patong. They said every bar was overrun with ladyboys, they could not find whatever they were looking for and left the island. I was surprised as around 18 years ago I was accosted by girls resembling in every way UCLA coeds at the SHARK disco.