Take Uk Pounds Into Thailand To Change...

I take a few hundred in pound notes to keep in reserve and use an ATM. I opened up a Nationwide flex account just for using when in Thailand which I put enough in for my trip and can always transfer some more if need be. You seem to get a good rate for your pound with Nationwide.

I take a few hundred in pound notes to keep in reserve and use an ATM. I opened up a Nationwide flex account just for using when in Thailand which I put enough in for my trip and can always transfer some more if need be. You seem to get a good rate for your pound with Nationwide.

I can't open a Nationwide account, anyhow :D

I'm just thinking that when I'm near one of the various change kiosks around town I see great rates like B69 to the £ but I only get about B62 to the £ when I take it out at the ATM plus £1.50 fixed charge PLUS 1.25% of the total amount withdrawn :o

Shame you cant get a Nationwide account. I was getting 69 - 71 to the pound around the end of last year with them and no charges.

Why not take travellers cheques ?

You pay a small fee but get a good rate of exchange.

I done this exercise few time ago .

Perhaps different countries have different rules ?

I am talking about Australian dollars.

Took AU dollars cash at the boot , I got 27.20 baht for 1 AU dollars

Use my visa card to withdraw from ATM, they give me a TT rates 28.27 , but charge me 2.8 % fee

Use my Amex to withdraw , the rates was less , but the charge was $ 1.25 ( comme to the same as visa )

The best I find was sending Australian dollars to my bank account where I get the TT rates.

If I have a second choice I will go for traveller cheques with high domination .

Bring in wadges of cash and zip round to the bank soon after arrival in Thailand and deposit it into a Savings Account. You will save on those extortionate UK bank charges and probably get a better rate. Lots of threads about opening bank accounts posted already. Banks here don't seem to mind handling large cash amounts.

thanks for your replies, I've looked on my k-cyber banking account and found this:

bank.jpg

The last time I withdrew cash from the ATM I got a transfer rate of about B62 to the £ but judging by the transfer rates I will get a much better deal if I deposit £'s straight into my Kasikorn account, unless there are some other charges along the way...

I see your from Harlow, only about 20 mins away from me. As I'm off to LOS soon, why not give me all your money now and I'll put it in my Nationwide account and you can come see out there as and when you need some cash :o

I see your from Harlow, only about 20 mins away from me. As I'm off to LOS soon, why not give me all your money now and I'll put it in my Nationwide account and you can come see out there as and when you need some cash :D

Great idea, I'll see you down the skipper around 7pm tonight :o