EXCLUSIVE: Government inaction blocking private hospital vaccine purchase despite Prayut promise

webfact

1 hour ago, Susco said:

So while you, and others, are advocating in other threads that Thailand should apply a strict quarantine for all tourists entering Thailand, that should be only for others but not for "US"?

Why would it apply to "Us" when we're already in Thailand?  And not wanting to leave due to the incoming quarantine requirement????  I'm confused....

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

To be fair to them I think they're doing it at cost and not making a profit.

How do you know?  They can say whatever the costs are, real or not.  And get paid for that.  Hmmm.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Why would it apply to "Us" when we're already in Thailand?  And not wanting to leave due to the incoming quarantine requirement????  I'm confused....

It is pretty simple then. If you don't want to leave to get jabbed with the vaccine of your choice, because you don't want to quarantine on return, then stop complaining about the limited options that are available here.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Agreed.  But it's most of the country that's complaining about the limited options for vaccines here.  Not just the few of us farangs on TVF.  You do follow the Thai news feeds, right?  The country is <deleted>.  And for good reasons.

With that difference that the majority of the Thai people don't have the option of obtaining the jab of their choice in another country, like all those posting here have.

40 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

It would also severely embarrass them politically.......can't see it happening.

I'm guessing that and a lot more if the common folk could not have access to free jab. There are LOT of wealthy Thai in places such as BKK.

Imagine all the hi-so and many expats having easy access vaccine at say 8k or less.

Bring on the protests.

Not really a surprise. Smile, tell people a story they want to hear. Then do nothing. Works every time. Thailand has put all their chips in building their AstrZ  production facility. End of story.

Third wave? How about the fourth; the Indian variant. Right now I think it costly, too much hassle to fly back home and do a hoop jump to get back.

I may think different come June.  ????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite promises made by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha, government hurdles and red-tape have made it impossible for private hospitals to acquire vaccines on their own despite having the agency and connections to make it happen.

Prayut should be held personally responsible for stopping any private enterprises from securing vaccines, either for public use or for direct employee inoculations.

He has all but prevented anyone except the favoured Siam Bioscience from doing anything.

The man should step down in shame for letting down his country.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

It is pretty simple then. If you don't want to leave to get jabbed with the vaccine of your choice, because you don't want to quarantine on return, then stop complaining about the limited options that are available here.

Where do you live in Thailand that you have access to ANY COVID vaccine?  It's not a matter of wanting to choose from 4, 3 or even two vaccines. It's a matter of getting vaccinated at all right now.  To be honest the earliest I would expect to have access is early fall of 2021.  The sad fact is that some of us here might be dead from the virus by then.

Hell, if I could just stick my arm across the border into Malaysia and get vaccinated I would.

Out of curiosity I just looked for the Mor Prom phone app which is the government app they want Thais to use to book vaccinations from 1st May.  I found it in the Apple app store and downloaded.  It invited me to register, so I keyed in my Thai ID number and phone number and up popped my full name in English.  I clicked on the menu that said register for vaccine and registered.  Then I clicked on the icon that said book a vaccie and it suggested the venue of Samitivej Hospital for some reason,  So I accepted that and moved on to pick a date from the calendar.  That is where it stopped working. Any date I picked returned the response "no information available".   That may well be as far as I get.

Clearly it is not for foreign residents as it requires a Thai ID number to register.  I am not sure why it picked Samitivej as a venue.  It could be that this is part of the MoPH's plan to co-opt private hospitals in delivering the government's free vaccines as suggested in the article, rather than letting them order and sell their own.  Of course this would leave foreigners out in the cold, unless they work for large Thai companies that can order vaccines for their staff.

I will try the app again on the launch day 1st May but I am not holding my breath it will work any better than online 90 day reporting or the government's hotline for COVID patients which just teasing them into believing they can get help but they are just referred to another hotline number where no one answers the phone.  Some are saying that it is worth picking up a free Sinovac or AZ vaccination, if offered.  Then you can still buy a Pfizer in 6-12 months time, if they ever make it to the LOS and treat it as a booster.  I am still suspicious of Sinovac.

• Like 1

He is just a puppet and will follow order to buy time for Siam Bioscience to get all the necessary approvals and preparations to start selling to the private sectors. His promise is worth absolutely zilch beginning with his infamous statement "I will not stage a coup". 

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

How do you know?  They can say whatever the costs are, real or not.  And get paid for that.  Hmmm.....

It's a condition of Astrazeneca's agreement with the Oxford scientists that they wouldn't make a profit for the duration of the pandemic so I'm sure that would also apply to the technology transfer agreement with Siam Bioscience.

Govt already bent over and made deals with China...have to save face...govt dont care about helping the people..only about making their cut...and dont think the big wigs are getting that cheap sinovac

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It will seem unfair to the majority of Thais and they would be right. So you might well say since when does the government care about fair. But they do care about avoiding potentially inciting people taking the streets, no?

Ding ding ding!  All along I've thought this was the reason, and not because they were hesitant to lose potential consumers of their dose

4 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

To be honest the earliest I would expect to have access is early fall of 2021.  The sad fact is that some of us here might be dead from the virus by then.

If ever I saw some exaggeration for the sake of getting an argument, it must be the above post

There are currently 178 deaths out of a population of 75 MILLION over a period of 17 months

23 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Ever notice when things look darkest for Thailand—the mighty Baht rises to the occasion?  Not a huge jump, but the USD,Euro. and.Pound all receded today.

Why you not say straight away what you are thinking?

It is MANIPULATED hahaha

10 minutes ago, Susco said:

If ever I saw some exaggeration for the sake of getting an argument, it must be the above post

There are currently 178 deaths out of a population of 75 MILLION over a period of 17 months

Please tell me which sentence is an exaggeration.  And please also tell me where in Thailand you have gotten your vaccine

Just now, pseudorabies said:

Please tell me which sentence is an exaggeration.  And please also tell me where in Thailand you have gotten your vaccine

Maybe you should take some reading classes, since I never said that vaccines are available. I said if people are not satisfied with the limited options available here, they are free to get them in their home country.

About the exaggeration. Well I think it was clear which sentence, as I singled that one out in your post.

Again some reading classes may help

1 minute ago, Susco said:

Maybe you should take some reading classes, since I never said that vaccines are available. I said if people are not satisfied with the limited options available here, they are free to get them in their home country.

About the exaggeration. Well I think it was clear which sentence, as I singled that one out in your post.

Again some reading classes may help

You stated that expats wanting to return to their home country want to do so in order to have a choice of vaccines.  This implies that there is a vaccine available to the general public but not multiple vaccines that would allow a choice.  THis is logic.  There is no vaccine that is available to the general public. And the government has put up roadblocks to prevent private hospitals getting vaccines on  their own despite promises to the contrary.. That is what this thread is about.

THere were two sentences that you highlighted.  Please be specific.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1