EXCLUSIVE: Government inaction blocking private hospital vaccine purchase despite Prayut promise

webfact

3 minutes ago, petedk said:

Yes, the  strict re-entry rules ae also stopping me from going back home to get vaccinated.

With all due respect you are free to return home and get vaccinated, if you wish, you are also free to return to Thailand, if you wish, subject to the same rules that apply to all foreigners.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Brierley said:

If things in Thailand get much worse I can imagine Thailand becoming a red list country for UK travel and that would mean quarantine and expensive tests on both ends.

So get out of here soon,  get vaccinated wherever,  come back. 

Cost less than 5000 USD.

Alternative: stay here, dig in once the conditions here are like in Delhi.

Cheaper,  and a lot more exciting. 

Vaccination cannot be allowed easily

Edited by Kiujunn

1 hour ago, Rhacsyn said:

Reading the headline of this post and then reading below from 8 days ago put a big smile on my face. (I hope I am allowed to link here from the Nation paper. If not sorry...).

As an aside, and as far as I remember, other than the Chinese, only AZ, JJ, Moderna and Sputnik have applied for registration in Thailand. Has Pfizer applied yet?

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000021

No article there. Removed in the past hour??

Thai FDA gives 3 private companies right to import Covid-19 vaccines

• Home
  • »
  • in-focus
  • »
  • Thai FDA gives 3 private companies ...

Three private firms have been given the okay to import and register for the administration of Covid-19 vaccines, while another company is under consideration, Dr Paisan Dankhum, secretary-general of the Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA), said on Monday.

“So far, 14 companies have applied for permission to import the vaccine but only four have submitted the necessary documents. The FDA has been carefully considering all candidates with a focus on public safety and health,” he said.

Paisan added that the FDA has never blocked any private party from importing vaccines as claimed on some media channels. “Up until now, the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation has been the sole importer of Covid-19 vaccines and the FDA has been inviting qualified private firms to register as importers,” he said. “We will hold a meeting with the Thai Chamber of Commerce, the Federation of Thai Industries and representatives from private hospitals to address procedures that importers need to follow.

“The FDA has also launched an online platform for companies to register their health products with speed, convenience and transparency,” added Paisan. “We have been strictly following the law in registration procedures with no special treatment being given to any particular applicant to ensure people are safe and can benefit from the products.”

Published : April 20, 2021

By : THE NATION

The government is not stopping the hospitals from importing the  tested quality vaccines like Moderna, Pfizer or even Astra Zeneca. The reality is that the vaccines are not available. All Pfizer and Moderna is purchased for the next few months. There is no surplus. India is not exporting  its Astra Zeneca version because of its crisis. The EU is not allowing export of vaccine outside of existing guaranteed contract.  USA may start to release  its excess vaccine supply in May/June, but it intends to distribute equitably on a state to state basis to prevent profiteering. Strategic interests are at the top of the list, and Thailand which has a best friend in China isn't a priority.   Thailand may be able to buy  Russian Sputnik manufactured by Chinese contractors, or  China vaccines, but none of these products  has been fully tested.

I suggest if someone wants quality western vaccine  go to home country and vaccinated there because they are not going to be in Thailand available to farang for months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

government hurdles and red-tape

In Nigeria they use to call them Desks.  Points in a process at which Tea Money must be arranged in order for the paperwork to move from one desk to another.  I imagine there are many desks in this sad sorry state of affairs. ????

53 minutes ago, Brierley said:

country for UK travel and that would mean quarantine and expensive tests on both ends.

Uk already insists on pre flight covid test for returning citizens and pre flight booking of two further covid tests on day 2 and day 8 of your return at a cost of about 200 pounds each you must have booked and paid for these and have a receipt. 

Returning for urgent medical treatment being an exception to the rule.

Self quarantine ok for first ten days but if Thailands  virtually test free covid free rating is upgraded to the red zone reality then mandatory expensive quarantine would also apply to all Brits on return from Thailand.

1 hour ago, Brierley said:

With all due respect you are free to return home and get vaccinated, if you wish, you are also free to return to Thailand, if you wish, subject to the same rules that apply to all foreigners.

This is certainly true.  When I moved to Thailand with my wife last year from the US the process for me was slow and cumbersome.  But at least I had a residence, car, printer etc to do this from and with.  I don't know exactly what has changed regarding entry requirements and the lead time but I can't imagine doing this from a hotel room over the course of several weeks.  And then having to arrange, pay for and endure another ASQ stay.  This for re-entry from the US where cases are declining into Thailand where cases, detected or not, are rising, probably exponentially at this point.  

But I think that as the infection and mortality rates rise and all we get is talk about vaccines from the government, more and more people, both expats and wealthy Thais, will consider and act on this option out of desperation.  The question is what will the government do about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wasabi said:

I've had enough of this circus. My wife and I are getting a Covid test this Sunday. If negative we will be back in the USA shortly after. Still love Thailand and Thai people. Their Covid response, not so much. 

Teetering on the edge....about to do the same.....back to the UK.

Can you safely get a test? If so, where?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

I think they understand this.  But who wants to go through a 14 day quarantine?  Not us.

So while you, and others, are advocating in other threads that Thailand should apply a strict quarantine for all tourists entering Thailand, that should be only for others but not for "US"?

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

Can you safely get a test? If so, where?

If you live in Bangkok or spend a night in Bangkok pre flight their was a thread on here a month ago showing details of a Bkk lab who would test and email the results same day with negative test certificate to fly about 2k baht.

Also a guy on here had the pre flight test with Bkk hospital Pattaya paid 3,400 went back to the Uk a week ago if his test was negative...................if it was positive well who knows where you would get shipped off to? ................a cardboard bed in a shelter or a government hospital if beds available?

Plus as mentioned before you have to book and pay for with receipt two tests on day 2 and 8 of your return at a cost of circa 200 pounds each.

before you fly.

This information on the Uk gov website.

Fill in your passenger locator form - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Edited by sapson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sapson said:

If you live in Bangkok or spend a night in Bangkok pre flight their was a thread on here a month ago showing details of a Bkk lab who would test and email the results same day with negative test certificate to fly about 2k baht.

Also a guy on here had the pre flight test with Bkk hospital Pattaya paid 3,400 went back to the Uk a week ago if his test was negative...................if it was positive well who knows where you would get shipped off to? ................a cardboard bed in a shelter or a government hospital if beds available?

Plus as mentioned before you have to book and pay for with receipt two tests on day 2 and 8 of your return at a cost of circa 200 pounds each before you fly.

Thanks for that......as you you point out...testing positive would be a serious set back is so many respects.

1 hour ago, Patong2021 said:

The government is not stopping the hospitals from importing the  tested quality vaccines like Moderna, Pfizer or even Astra Zeneca. The reality is that the vaccines are not available. All Pfizer and Moderna is purchased for the next few months. There is no surplus. India is not exporting  its Astra Zeneca version because of its crisis. The EU is not allowing export of vaccine outside of existing guaranteed contract.  USA may start to release  its excess vaccine supply in May/June, but it intends to distribute equitably on a state to state basis to prevent profiteering. Strategic interests are at the top of the list, and Thailand which has a best friend in China isn't a priority.   Thailand may be able to buy  Russian Sputnik manufactured by Chinese contractors, or  China vaccines, but none of these products  has been fully tested.

I suggest if someone wants quality western vaccine  go to home country and vaccinated there because they are not going to be in Thailand available to farang for months.

Two separate issues. Obviously the government has not allowed this yet.

• Like 1

If the government allowed private hospitals to import vaccines all foreigners could be vaccinated and a large number of Thai people would also get the shot for reasonable price.

This would take a big load of the government and ensure that most people get vaccinated as soon as possible.

• Like 2

No vaccines are going to be available privately for a long time. The Western vaccines have made contracts with governments and the remainder is for Covax. It really wouldn't be a good look if they were selling it to private hospitals in Thailand rather than fulfilling their contractual obligations to governments or ensuring equitable distribution to developing countries. And the Russians and Chinese are using their vaccines for vaccine diplomacy so I can't see how selling a batch to Bumrungrad would fit into that.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Thanks 1

Just now, pattjock said:

If the government allowed private hospitals to import vaccines all foreigners could be vaccinated and a large number of Thai people would also get the shot for reasonable price.

This would take a big load of the government and ensure that most people get vaccinated as soon as possible.

It will seem unfair to the majority of Thais and they would be right. So you might well say since when does the government care about fair. But they do care about avoiding potentially inciting people taking the streets, no?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pattjock said:

It would also severely embarrass them politically.......can't see it happening.