ThaiChana (Covid Tracking App)-anyone using it?

WaveHunter

10 hours ago, Greenside said:

Why would you want to do that?  Being alerted to having recently been in a location which turned out to be a hotspot should, at the very least, make you more cautious about mixing with vulnerable people and possibly infecting them.  As a bonus you may catch your own symptoms earlier.

You would be crazy to use an app that may let the Thai government know you were in a hotspot.

Have you read about all the asymptomatics who tested positive and then were forced into detention camps for 2 weeks and charged a fortune for treatment they didn't need?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

You would be crazy to use an app that may let the Thai government know you were in a hotspot.

Have you read about all the asymptomatics who tested positive and then were forced into detention camps for 2 weeks and charged a fortune for treatment they didn't need?

During the lock down last year, if you were out and about, the police were pulling people over who crossed into other provinces.  If you didn't have this app, they'd fine you.  Then they backed off.  But if you were infected and didn't have the app...who knows.  This is Thailand.  Better to have this app than not.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/01/07/govt-install-covid-tracking-app-or-get-prosecuted-if-infected/

9 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Actually,  i haven't. 

Can you please give me some links?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

These asymptomatic unfortunates were tracked down and rounded up due to the Thaichana app I assume.  No, I must have missed that, but then I deleted my QAnon subscription a while back - maybe you'll provide a link to the report.

Look,

• You are in a venue which turns out to be a hotspot.
  • You get notified (by sms, I believe) that you are at risk.
  • You get tested or not depending on your circumstances (time that has elapsed, symptoms or lack of, living arrangement and family considerations etc)
  • Self quarantine or report to a hospital if you're seriously ill.

or,

• You are in a venue which turns out to be a hotspot.
  • You don't know you are at risk but it turns out you're a carrier.
  • You infect your wife and children before going back to your teaching job and potentially causing all the parents of your class to quarantine, get tested and at the very least stress out for weeks.

Thaichana doesn't require an address when you download it and I don't see the police hunting down all the people in Makro yesterday afternoon by triangulating their phones and dragging them off to a testing station on their way to the detention centre, do you?  Quit being paranoid and get real.  Posts like yours feed the fears of less informed readers and in some cases put people in danger.

5 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

Actually,  i haven't. 

Can you please give me some links?

Here's one.  Only talking about one case so not exactly showing what was claimed, but it shows it's possible and makes good reading anyway (UK sense of humour may be required).  Part 2 is linked from the bottom of Part 1.

https://www.stickboybkk.com/opinion/a-story-about-when-asq-goes-wrong/

37 minutes ago, treetops said:

Here's one.  Only talking about one case so not exactly showing what was claimed, but it shows it's possible and makes good reading anyway (UK sense of humour may be required).  Part 2 is linked from the bottom of Part 1.

https://www.stickboybkk.com/opinion/a-story-about-when-asq-goes-wrong/

No offense intended but that is hardly a credible source.  I will admit I also have concerns over somehow being tested and getting a false positive that might possibly land me in a field hospital for observation.

However, (as was previously mentioned) the Thai Chana app does NOT provide authorities with any personal information about you.  I'm pretty sure the contact tracing capabilities of the app are completely anonymous.

The only way you could personally be identified is if you have the app activated 24/7.  Your home address could then be deduced...but I seriously doubt that is happening or we would have heard of that by now. 

Ofcourse, If that's a concern to you, just set the app to only be active when you are using it (which you should do anyway just to conserve the battery)

Edited by WaveHunter

20 minutes ago, treetops said:

Believable all the same IMO, and I hope you enoyed reading it.

IT was sort of entertaining I admit...and I say that not even being from the UK! ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1