Isolation Madness.

WineOh

Quoting Stuart Ullman from 'The Shining' movie -

"The police thought that it was what the old-timers used to call cabin fever. A kind of claustrophobic reaction which can occur when people are shut in together over long periods of time"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

Audible is an absolute godsend, I love it.

[...]

Reading helps me a lot,

Are you reading or listening? That is a different activity even if it is the same "book".

Apart from that: I still go out every day to the fresh market and supermarket and until now also to have a coffee and enjoy lunch.

The situation will get better eventually. I prefer some restrictions compared to a high Covid risk everywhere. Currently Thailand has still little Covid compared to many other countries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

how is everyone holding up during, what is effectively, another national lockdown?

How do you lot cope with keeping the isolation madness at bay?

Haven't noticed any difference apart from it being nice and quiet and what call my pubs are still open.

I have my hobbies and can still ride my motorbike but because of covid I choose not to go for 3 to 4 day ride outs stopping overnight in places.

As for isolation that suits me fine,  most of the time I like and seek solitude.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nikmar said:

I love work from home. It cuts out the commute into Bangkok so i gt an exra 2 hours in bed. Lovely! 

But i do wonder how I can revert to my old lifestyle where I wasnt drinking at 9 am ????

Living 2 hours from work. Jeez...

That's a commute of 4 hours a day.

Not too much has changed for me.  We (wife, grandson and I) had a beach side holiday before all the latest kicked off and stayed in our Bangkok condo over Songkran - it was probably the safest place to be in Thailand at the time as it was deserted, before returning to our house upcountry last week, where we'll be staying for the indefinite future.  We all got tested after coming back, all negative.  Being upcountry, we're used to making our own entertainment, so everything I enjoy doing has long been bought/added/installed/fitted to our house.  Days are spent doing a lot of swimming in the pool, pottering about in the garden, reading a mix of fiction and non fiction on the Kindle, watching old TV series, with a science lecture/documentary on Youtube to keep the brain ticking over.  I can also still do my daily mountain bike ride through the fields without a mask, make short trips on my motorbike, and travel to town for grocery shopping when necessary.  Restaurants are still open, but not visited very often.  All in all, not too far off what I'd normally be doing.

For those complaining about the "lockdown", now is a perfect time to get into hobbies, either ones you already have, or start another.  And consider that, by this stage last century, everyone had been through a World War and the Spanish Flu epidemic.  Tough choice. Fighting for your life or laying on the sofa bored?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

Really? Have they all had the anti-body test done?

If all the Farangs who claim they had Covid in Thailand last year were added up, it would exceed the national statistics.

But none of them know where to get a Covid test, at least the ones I know.

• Like 1

I spend my days watching movies on Netflix and watching endless clips on Utube. I cook with my girlfriend and try new dishes from u tube. We still go for a walk on the beach and shopping. Not much has changed for us. The only annoying thing which we missed is a swim in the pool and use of gym at the condo.

1 hour ago, bluebluewater said:

Audio book free sites (that you don't have to register for) -  anyone got any good ones?

Most of the torrent sites like 1337X, Pirate bay, Kickass etc have plenty of free audiobooks.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Most of the torrent sites like 1337X, Pirate bay, Kickass etc have plenty of free audiobooks.

Most of the torrent sites dont have any of the books I am after.

So I reluctantly pay the fee. 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Shhhhhhh. Don't detract from the narrative that it is deadly. Some might be upset that you all had it and recovered without problems ( like, apparently the vast majority that do catch it ).

well,  i am surprised to see this post from you  TBL .    I thought you were letting "them" occupy your mind 24/7  like most of the people on this forum that follow each covid thread and spend hours arguing and preaching about it.

Your post reads as if you find the constant "narrative"  more deadly than just accentuating the positive.    I went for a nice drive and walk today with my fit mrs R.   Now going to enjoy a nice lunch.    Life is good.............. 

psssssssssst :   stay well,  cherish your family,  get some fresh air 

13 minutes ago, WineOh said:

Most of the torrent sites dont have any of the books I am after.

So I reluctantly pay the fee. 

It depends on what your reading/listening tastes are. I have found more than enough for my needs.

3 hours ago, WineOh said:

Audible is an absolute godsend, I love it.

Drives me mad.....joined Audible, downloaded loads.......but cannot, for the life of me, stay focussed........with a book, no choice you have to read it.......audible....5 minutes tops and I am gone, haven't a clue what I am listening to.

So now play guitar up to 8 hours a day, hard to believe with all that practice I am still hopeless..................read on a night to sleep...........watch too much news.........and bars here in Khlong Toei are owned by the police so are still open.

Edited by Surelynot

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Drives me mad.....joined Audible, downloaded loads.......but cannot, for the life of me, stay focussed........with a book, no choice you have to read it.......audible....5 minutes tops and I am gone, haven't a clue what I am listening to.

This is precisely why there are two formats.

Reading & Listening.

Readers like to read and listeners like to listen.

I like both, depends on my mood, though I am averaging 6-8 hours a day on audible at the moment.

Edited by WineOh

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

I usually listen after I turn out the lights before sleep. Problem is I fall asleep after 5 or 10 minutes and then can't find the place where I left off.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

also, with actual reading I get bored very quickly.

The voice in my head bores me to tears.

I much prefer the warm, soothing narration from a seasoned story teller.

• Haha 1