Thai Fonts Etc

Niloc

I am using Ubuntu 7.04 and I want to enable Thai fonts for eMail etc.

I assume I have to get a Thai font (Where?) and do something to enable switching between English and Thai, I have a Thai/English keyboard but System/Preferences/Font allows me to select That and English but how do I switch between the two? And does this module also download the font?

I am using Ubuntu 7.04 and I want to enable Thai fonts for eMail etc.

I assume I have to get a Thai font (Where?) and do something to enable switching between English and Thai, I have a Thai/English keyboard but System/Preferences/Font allows me to select That and English but how do I switch between the two? And does this module also download the font?

Ubuntu lists Thai fonts in their packages directory. You'll have to use Synaptics or similar programme to get what you need.

For your other question, see here.

Wow, made it through a post and aboslutely no RTFM. Oops, there's one. :o

Dave,

All I get at that link is : 'Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at packages.ubuntulinux.org.'

I tried going to packages.ubuntulinux.org but not joy there either....

Any other suggestions??

Well it is the usual Linux kerfuffle, I have done a google and downloaded several 'Thai Fonts' but when I look at them they are simply 'A', 'B','C' etc in various sizes, not Thai!

I went to OpenOffice.org and no indication anywhere that a new font has been installed what I really want is the something familiar like 'sudo apt-get install' which does everything!!

Dave,

All I get at that link is : 'Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at packages.ubuntulinux.org.'

I tried going to packages.ubuntulinux.org but not joy there either....

Any other suggestions??

Hmm, it appears that packages.ubuntu.org is down. Don't know why. Also these are for Hoary. Don't know why I gave you the "old" packages for Feisty, although I doubt there's much, if any, differences.

Use this guide. Obviously you'll type in "Thai" in the search box.

This tells you how to add in the packages from the other link I gave you.

Edited by dave_boo

Well it is the usual Linux kerfuffle, I have done a google and downloaded several 'Thai Fonts' but when I look at them they are simply 'A', 'B','C' etc in various sizes, not Thai!

I went to OpenOffice.org and no indication anywhere that a new font has been installed what I really want is the something familiar like 'sudo apt-get install' which does everything!!

This is more of (yet another edit) to my last post. You may want to try adding another repository from a different place. If you add a new repository, and than you can use 'sudo apt-get install' if you're comfortable with it. BTW, here's a cached page of the Thai packages. That way, when you add a repository that is working, you can quickly decide which font you want installed.

Dave,

Well I added the repository, did an apt-get and got back 'ttf-thai-tlwg is already the newest version.' so it looks like I already have it but how did it get there and how on earth do I get to use it? I went into OpenOffice.org and there is nothing listed in the available fonts so its back to the usual question, what on earth do I do now?

Dave,

Well I added the repository, did an apt-get and got back 'ttf-thai-tlwg is already the newest version.' so it looks like I already have it but how did it get there and how on earth do I get to use it? I went into OpenOffice.org and there is nothing listed in the available fonts so its back to the usual question, what on earth do I do now?

Did you follow the instructions here? Especially that from Sef? I.E.:

Put your mouse on the top panel and right click on 'Add to Panel'.

Next scroll down to Utilities and click on 'keyboard indicator'.

That will allow you to switch between Thai and English, if both are set up.

Thanks Dave, it is working now and my wife is delighted, she sent an e-mail to her niece straight away just to test it, she now has to learn to type!!

Colin

Good to hear that. It would have been MUCH easier if you had been using SuSE :D since I have direct experience with that. As far as the wife learning to type....I'm having the same problem with mine. I actually got her pretty good in English typing using the "Typing of the Dead" programme (unfortunately it's Windows only). It's based on the arcade game where zombies come at you, but instead of shooting them with a light gun, it uses words you have to type in correctly in order to put them down. Fun stuff. I don't know of a similiar programme in Thai though :o

Thanks Dave, it is working now and my wife is delighted, she sent an e-mail to her niece straight away just to test it, she now has to learn to type!!

Colin

Good to hear that. It would have been MUCH easier if you had been using SuSE :D since I have direct experience with that. As far as the wife learning to type....I'm having the same problem with mine. I actually got her pretty good in English typing using the "Typing of the Dead" programme (unfortunately it's Windows only). It's based on the arcade game where zombies come at you, but instead of shooting them with a light gun, it uses words you have to type in correctly in order to put them down. Fun stuff. I don't know of a similiar programme in Thai though :o

As a side note, apparently tuxtyping allows you to change the themes. This would allow you to insert Thai characters/numbers.

http://tuxtype.sourceforge.net/howtotheme.html

I found a neat little program that allows you to type Thai characters into your standard

English MS Word document without all the hassles of setting up the PC to do a foreign

language.

You just use the mouse to select the characters from a virtual keyboard, one click and

they appear in the Word document.

Slow maybe, but unless you're used to touch typing, its good enough.

See: http://www.kikiat.com/thai/index.html

Download two programs:

"Unikode for Thai" for typing

& "Pout Thai" which is an editable Thai-English-Thai dictionary!