14 days mandatory quarantine returns for all arrivals to Thailand from May

webfact

While I'm gutted for myself, as I had planned to be in Bangkok April 23rd, before the third wave cancelled all of my meetings with clients, I get where they're coming from.

Politically, they have to treat all of the vaccines as equals, even though Pfizer/Biontech and Moderna's real world results are head and shoulders above the rest. Where both mRNA vaccines have shown to be >90% in preventing infection, and therefore transmission, the others are not near that percentage. AZ's numbers from UK's studies show 67% effectiveness in preventing transmission, and Sinovac's numbers are all over the place. 

Where those vaccinated with the mRNA ones are highly unlikely to be able to spread the virus if shortened quarantine misses infections, the same can't be said for the others.

• Like 2

The sudden, unexpected change to 14 days quarantaine is a problem  for all who made a COE and booking already for 7 or 10 days with hotel booking after 6 may.. Now they have to change everything again...  Many people also just would come to Thailand because the quarantaine was shortened.

Second it not seems that the govid is caused by the farang who came to Thailand with a COE and a 7 or 10 days quarantaine..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sjoerd said:

The sudden, unexpected change to 14 days quarantaine is a problem  for all who made a COE and booking already for 7 or 10 days with hotel booking after 6 may.. Now they have to change everything again...  Many people also just would come to Thailand because the quarantaine was shortened.

Second it not seems that the govid is caused by the farang who came to Thailand with a COE and a 7 or 10 days quarantaine..

Many?  I don't think so.

Tourism is as dead as elvis.  And anyone who believes what the TAT says at this point and far before this point should have their head examined.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

ll I have to say to this government is #$%& %$#!!!

If they think I'm quarantining for 14 days after coming back fully vaccinated they have another thing coming.

Hopefully they lift this before I get back in mid June or I'm breaking out early.

I’m hoping so also, have a feeling someone didn’t consider vaccinated people when they blurted out the command. Expect it might revert sometime soon, but won’t hold my breath

18 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Before agreeing to put AZ into my body, I researched if I should get it.

The studies showed that AZ may be better are stopping variants than the others, because the trial data included variants whereas the others didn't.  IF it had, it would probably be closer to the 90 percentile.  

The 67 percent efficacy means that if you do get sick, your symptoms will be mild and will clear up like a cold.  

In other words, get what you can get.  There is a lot more to think about than looking at those numbers.  There is a lot of disinformation on the internet, and this may be one of them.

I could have waited another 2 weeks for a "better" one but I chose AZ just to get it as soon as possible.  

This is true. The best vaccine for you is the first one that is offered to you. All of them are proven to be close to 100% at preventing you from dying of Covid, yes even the Chinese ones. However, where you are protected from the disease killing you if you become infected, it doesn't entirely prevent you from transmitting it to others.

This is where the slow acquisition and administration of vaccines is a problem for Thailand. They can't safely open up until and majority of Thai's have been vaccinated, where even if the virus enters the country, it won't be able to kill anyone. 

I should also clarify the 67% number for the AZ vaccine isn't the efficacy number. Recent studies in the UK, Brazil, and South Africa say the AZ vaccine reduces transmission of the virus by 67%, whilst the efficacy is above 70%

Source: COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca confirms 100% protection against severe disease, hospitalisation and death in the primary analysis of Phase III trials

Edited by Osthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Many?  I don't think so.

Tourism is as dead as elvis.  And anyone who believes what the TAT says at this point and far before this point should have their head examined.  

Some quarantaine hotels were fully booked for about 2 months. Example Anantara in Bangkok with 281 rooms...  Also many other hotels had many bookings in the next months...yes dead as compare to before the govid

Maybe you missed the change short time ago from 14 days quarantaine into 10 and 7 days after which many people made a booking.  However sudden changes are not abnormal in Thailand...but can be a problem as mentioned..

Edited by Sjoerd
make it more clear

17 minutes ago, Osthos said:

This is true. The best vaccine for you is the first one that is offered to you. All of them are proven to be close to 100% at preventing you from dying of Covid, yes even the Chinese ones. However, where you are protected from the disease killing you if you become infected, it doesn't entirely prevent you from transmitting it to others.

This is where the slow acquisition and administration of vaccines is a problem for Thailand. They can't safely open up until and majority of Thai's have been vaccinated, where even if the virus enters the country, it won't be able to kill anyone. 

I should also clarify the 67% number for the AZ vaccine isn't the efficacy number. Recent studies in the UK, Brazil, and South Africa say the AZ vaccine reduces transmission of the virus by 67%, whilst the efficacy is above 70%

Source: COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca confirms 100% protection against severe disease, hospitalisation and death in the primary analysis of Phase III trials

Cant safe open up until majority of thai are vaccinated...yet the majority of arrivals are vaccinated now. I dont see the logic.  Thai would be safe vaccinated: then thais would be safe around vaccinated and covid free arrivals.  

3 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Cant safe open up until majority of thai are vaccinated...yet the majority of arrivals are vaccinated now. I dont see the logic.  Thai would be safe vaccinated: then thais would be safe around vaccinated and covid free arrivals.  

Getting vaccinated doesn't mean that you can't be infected with the virus, it just means that the virus won't kill you. A vaccinated traveler who's infection was missed by shortened quarantine is still able to infect a Thai person with the virus, therefore Thai's are not safe until a majority of them are vaccinated. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

38 minutes ago, Sjoerd said:

I uploaded the forms and got approved to the next step. Air /asq booking on the 29th.  Yesterday.   In the evening i started lokking at asq in pattaya....see the mandated 15 nights.  Talk about being kicked in the gut.  7 to 15 in the same day.     Hope someone with common sense reverses this asap

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Osthos said:

Getting vaccinated doesn't mean that you can't be infected with the virus, it just means that the virus won't kill you. A vaccinated traveler who's infection was missed by shortened quarantine is still able to infect a Thai person with the virus, therefore Thai's are not safe until a majority of them are vaccinated. 

2 minutes ago, Osthos said:

Any Scientific links ....

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A tiny proportion of the the population has been vaccinated....    faith in the vaccination is wholly irrelevant. 

This is all about ensuring the variant B.1.167 does not enter Thailand. 

Variant B.1.167 is the dual mutation variant currently ravaging India - It classified as a variant of concern.

Variants of concern are classified as such as because of:

- Increased transmissibility

- Increased morbidity

- Increased mortality

- Ability to evade detection by diagnostic tests

- Decreased susceptibility to antiviral drugs

- Decreased susceptibility to neutralizing antibodies

- Ability to evade natural immunity (e.g., causing reinfections)

- Ability to infect vaccinated individuals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variants_of_SARS-CoV-2

While much can be criticised of the response of many governments, this is one response which makes perfect sense.

I am directly impacted by this as I travel for work and thus the shifting goal-posts directly impact my time with my family. Yet, I cannot fault this latest move. 

My guess is that we will face this 14 day quarantine until the ‘variants of concern’ ravaging other countries (i.e.) India are under control, that vaccines are proven effective against variant (B.1.167) and a greater proportion of the Thai population is vaccinated. 

To your point...COE Had been cancelled from india.  Tell me how a fully Pfizer vaccinated passenger directly from USA has anything to do with your summation.   

• Like 1

Just now, elliss said:

Any Scientific links ....

Sure. COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca confirms 100% protection against severe disease, hospitalisation and death in the primary analysis of Phase III trials

This one is specific to the AZ vaccine. The key points are:

- 100% prevention from hospitalisation.

- 70% protection after the first dose.

- 67% reduction in transmission of virus. 

The last stat shows that some vaccinated persons are still able transmit the virus if they are infected. 

51 minutes ago, Sjoerd said:

Some quarantaine hotels were fully booked for about 2 months. Example Anantara in Bangkok with 281 rooms...  Also many other hotels had many bookings in the next months...yes dead as compare to before the govid

Maybe you missed the change short time ago from 14 days quarantaine into 10 and 7 days after which many people made a booking.  However sudden changes are not abnormal in Thailand...but can be a problem as mentioned..

It's not a great surprise that some hotels have a high rate of bookings even though the numbers are down as many hotels won't be open so those that are will get the bookings so I can believe what you say.

28 minutes ago, thai006 said:

here we go again 14 days ???? 

hope in November we dont need anymore  or 7 day is quite good for people who get the vaccine 

Nothing is certain .

In these un-certain times ...

I fear the worse , is yet to come ...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mr_lob said:

Well if those incoming are vaccinated and the vaccines cut transmission, why should they quarantine. If there are still only 70% vaccinated this time next year, should they still quarantine??

The vaccine works buy lessening the symptoms, it does not stop the chances of infection... same as the flu jab.

Residents need to have both jabs to build up any kind of immunity to fight an infection.

Having 30% of locals not inoculated and invite in tourism without quarantine is asking for trouble.

!00% inoculated, then give it a go.

70% is a non-starter.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, elliss said:

Nothing is certain .

In these un-certain times ...

I fear the worse , is yet to come ...

Agree with your 'November' comment or perhaps even a bit earlier. 

The country:

- Cannot lose sight of the urgent need to SAFELY open up.

- Cannot mess around any longer with the plans to vaccinate the majority of all Thais and residents and achieve herd immunity.

6 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Oxymoron 29April

how thailand officials  now dont  believe vaccines work to ward off the virus so a full 15 night penalty to  those that made the effort to get it at home

Thais, please register for the vaccine rollout coming to your neighborhood soon. It works 

Well said.

• Like 1

At least all Thais can return home Australia is threatening to gaol for up to 5 years any citizen that manages to arrive in Australia from India.The Australian Government is willing to abandon its citizens in their hour of need.Way to go OZ!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-01/crime-to-fly-from-india-to-australia-covid-federal-government/100108898

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1