14 days mandatory quarantine returns for all arrivals to Thailand from May

webfact

25 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Here is a thought: instead of such a long quarantine for the vaccinated, how about requiring 2 negative PCR tests before departure, one a week before, and one 72 hours before?

Double testing would reduce the risk of a vaccinated person carrying the virus, unless they are infected within 72 hours of departure - and the risk of any vaccinated person being infected within any given 72 hour period is tiny.

Just to take the other side. If an infected vaccinated person has a lower viral load, it may take longer for them to be detectable by PCR testing. Thus you may need to keep them longer. 

For Sinovac, the risk of a vaccinated person being infected within any given 72 hour period is roughly half that of an un-vaccinated person.

• Sad 1

After 18 months without seeing my Condo I just gave it to a Thai friend to live in it for free. 

I figure she might as well enjoy it rather than leaving it empty for another 2 years until I can come back without 15 days of hotel prison

Edited by aussiexpat

8 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

Vaccinated people CAN get the virus and CAN pass it on.

Vaccinated people need to be quarantined for 14 days !!!!!!  Same as unvaccinated.

Official data in the UK from millions of jabs and further infections says.........Vaccinated people have a reduced chance of passing the virus on................only reduced..........NOT ELIMINATED.   So they must be quarantined.

NHS.jpg

But my country doesn't have the virus so where am I catching it before arriving in Thailand?

Edited by aussiexpat

1 minute ago, aussiexpat said:

But my country dosen't have the virus so where am I catching it before arriving in Thailand?

Yes, and your country will not let you travel.  So it does not concern you.  Australia is going to remain locked closed until everyone is vaccinated, so you will not be travelling until 2022 or 2023 I think.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

Yes, and your country will not let you travel.  So it does not concern you.  Australia is going to remain locked closed until everyone is vaccinated, so you will not be travelling until 2022 or 2023 I think.

Wrong. Australia let's people leave if > 3 months and OA visa and condo ownership valid reasons to get exemption, so it greatly concerns me

Just now, aussiexpat said:

Wrong. Australia let's people leave if > 3 months and OA visa and condo ownership valid reasons to get exemption, so it greatly concerns me

In that case, 14 days quarantine does not worry you.......you are staying over 3 months so a couple of weeks in ASQ is not an issue is it ?

Just now, RR2020 said:

In that case, 14 days quarantine does not worry you.......you are staying over 3 months so a couple of weeks in ASQ is not an issue is it ?

Well obviously it does as I won't do it, and I'd be staying for 5 years minimum

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2021 at 2:44 PM, brucegoniners said:

If they think I'm quarantining for 14 days after coming back fully vaccinated they have another thing coming.

Still waiting for that another thing coming. What is it? 

12 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Still waiting for that another thing coming. What is it? 

It's pretty obvious to most but I'll help you out....no Baht spent in the dying tourist industry...

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

It's pretty obvious to most but I'll help you out....no Baht spent in the dying tourist industry...

And it's also pretty obvious that they don't care. 

Got anything else coming or is that it? 

4 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Boo hoo, you didn't get the forum fight you wanted? Bad luck. 

Wouldn't you think it would be pretty odd for Thailand to say that everyone has to quarantine except Australians. 

Honestly quarantine in Thailand is not expensive. If I go back to Canada I have to pay for 3 might and is costs more than 2 week quarantine in Thailand. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Wouldn't you think it would be pretty odd for Thailand to say that everyone has to quarantine except Australians. 

Honestly quarantine in Thailand is not expensive. If I go back to Canada I have to pay for 3 might and is costs more than 2 week quarantine in Thailand. 

Australia - New Zealand have no quarantine as will Singapore and Hong Kong. Not unheard of.

Also it's not all about cost, it's about 15 nights of solitary confinement without any human interaction (or beer)

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Australia - New Zealand have no quarantine as will Singapore and Hong Kong. Not unheard of.

Also it's not all about cost, it's about 15 nights of solitary confinement without any human interaction (or beer)

It's a really small price to pay to leave Australia. 

Girls here are not getting uglier. 

Up to you. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rabas said:

Everything has some effect, but lets compare the two actions independently, 14 day (or other length) quarantine, and tests before flight. Lets compare extremes to see which is essential.

a) Given sufficiently long quarantine, virtually all cases are found. This is well known and the stated purpose of Thailand's ASQ (see Prof. Yong).

b) Test everyone before flight. From the known incubation period,  all people infected less that 3 days prior to departure (i.e., after testing) will enter the country. And, a large portion of people infected up to 3 days before a PCR test (6 days pre departure) will also enter the country. That's a lot.

You may argue a little more here, a little less there, but it does not change the fact that Quarantine is designed to stop cases, particularity dangerous variants, from entering a county. Testing cannot stop them. 

I think it's better to move away from the theoretical and, instead, focus on reality.

I do not disagree with either quarantine or pre-flight testing as control measures, but they should be implemented in tandem, not "either / or". My premise remains that it is daft to allow one group of arrivals - Thai nationals, also the largest cohort of arrivals - to return, untested, "because if they're infected it will show up in quarantine". While this may well be the case, it ignores the fact that infected people can and have transmitted Covid to others on aircraft and in hotel quarantine.

The issue with not testing before flight is that a potentially infectious person is then in proximity, indoors (and in confined spaces such as aircraft and hotel minivan) to a large number of people who do not have to quarantine: flight crew; airport workers; immigration and health officials; hotel drivers and staff et cetera. The risk of transmission may be low, but it exists and has happened in such scenarios elsewhere. In a highly controlled environment such as Australia, with a very effective sequencing and track and trace system, leakage from quarantine may be controllable. In Thailand, however? 

Since we both agree the end goal is to reduce as much as possible the opportunity for import of more transmissible / more virulent strains, surely common sense dictates that every reasonable measure should be taken? Mandating a PCR test before flight for every passenger should be prominent amongst those measures.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DJBenz said:

Same story with any vaccine, but no one runs around shouting “You can still transmit flu/measles/smallpox if you’re vaccinated!!”

I can’t be bothered to type out the whole thing again, so I’ll link my thoughts on people squawking “yOu CaN sTiLl TrAnSmIt If YoU’rE vAcCiNaTeD” as it seems to be the latest resolve of the anti-vax/denier crowd. 
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1215538-14-days-mandatory-quarantine-returns-for-all-arrivals-to-thailand-from-may/?do=findComment&comment=16435012

So..............if you can still get the virus and transmit the virus when vaccinated............then treat everyone the same.

14 days mandatory quarantine for all    OR     no quarantine for all

Simple.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

After 18 months without seeing my Condo I just gave it to a Thai friend to live in it for free. 

I figure she might as well enjoy it rather than leaving it empty for another 2 years until I can come back without 15 days of hotel prison

The 3 people I know personally who have gone through ASQ didn't describe it as a "prison." And this was before the looser stay rules (no leaving room before 8 days). While certainly not enjoyable, just DL a few good ebooks, podcasts, and movies and it's over in no time.

22 hours ago, RR2020 said:

Vaccinated people CAN get the virus and CAN pass it on.

Vaccinated people need to be quarantined for 14 days !!!!!!  Same as unvaccinated.

Official data in the UK from millions of jabs and further infections says.........Vaccinated people have a reduced chance of passing the virus on................only reduced..........NOT ELIMINATED.   So they must be quarantined.

NHS.jpg

I am unaware of any documented cases of a vaccinated individual infecting someone else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AnnieSeek said:

You have been checking every case have you? The data coming from the UK is just a lie?

Scientists have mentioned a theoretical possibility of infecting others, but I have not heard of a single case.

• Like 2

There's nothing more depressing than seeing Australians whinging.

The same Australia that has zero covid, not faced the horrors we have witnessed in Europe and Americas - absolute horrific horrors . Yet there they are open and roaming around a normal society - but still whinging. 

Edited by AnnieSeek

17 minutes ago, AnnieSeek said:

There's nothing more depressing than seeing Australians whinging.

The same Australia that has zero covid, not faced the horrors we have witnessed in Europe and Americas - absolute horrific horrors . Yet there they are open and roaming around a normal society - but still whinging. 

Wow what an intelligent post. 

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I am unaware of any documented cases of a vaccinated individual infecting someone else.

The figures in my original post are from official UK Government data, following tens of millions of jabs and subsequent infections in the UK.

There are lots of cases of vaccinated people going on to get Covid infections.......its there, if you want to find it.

• Confused 1