Sri Racha Tiger Zoo to remain, despite reports to the contrary

webfact

5_1.jpg

Picture: Kapook

The owner of Sriracha Tiger Zoo on Sunday confirmed the zoo will remain open, after reports circulated over the weekend that it had closed permanently.

Sumeth Panyasakhon, the managing director of the Sriracha Crocodile Farm Co, which operated the zoo, said it had been forced to close for 14 days in order to comply with preventative measures issued by Chonburi’s Communicable Disease Control Committee.

However, he said that reports on Facebook the zoo had closed for good were not true, Kapook reported.

He said the Sriracha Crocodile Farm Co, operates the zoo on behalf of the zoo’s owner and would continue to do so.

Sumeth said he has a plan to make the zoo operationally viable. 

Sumeth said that the animals at the zoo are still being taken good care of.

The Sriracha Tiger Zoo opened in 1997 and was once thought to be the largest facility in the world to breed and raise Bengal tigers. The zoo also host shows which featured performances from tigers, elephants and crocodiles, 

• Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Terrible how they treat these animals.  Sad it's still open.

Yes, I felt that way last time I went and that was some time ago. I got an impression that the feeding of the animals was highly dependent on extra purchases made by visitors while inside. I wonder how they are faring these limited days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, action said:

The saddest, most depressing "zoo" I've ever visited.  Will never go back.

I heard that Pata Mall zoo will give it a run for its money. Aircon zoo on the top of an old decaying mall. They have kept a gorilla in there more than 20 years... its criminal.

• Like 1

I only have been to this place once.

Never again.

When I returned back Home I sat and had these visions of some of the poor animals that I had seen pacing the cages Etc.

One Tiger had worn a trench in the Ground at least 15 CM deep along a fence from his pacing

• Like 1

For a country which postures with a plethora of effigies, idols and philosophies, it is a wasteland in this regard. Sex, Money and Power are the driving force in many places.

• 2 weeks later...

The very existence of this zoo shows how completely out of step Thailand is with wildlife welfare and conservation in general. 

It is a glaring example of the shortcomings of national legislation.

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem that the future of the zoo is still very much in question and there appears to be a rift in the management.

however they are now trying to sell off 11 elephants (and keepers) - https://thethaiger.com/news/chon-buri/11-elephants-for-sale-from-famous-sriracha-tiger-zoo

3 million per animal and discount for bulk purchase. No reference to the fact that elephants are highly sociable herd animals and breaking up the herd would further traumatise them.