Thailand’s latest quarantine blooper puts tourism in jeopardy

webfact

54 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I doubt the change in re-opening plans amounts to anything...how many people are actually planning vacations half-way around the world at the moment? Europe, except for the UK, is at 20-30% vaccination rates and it's my understanding China, Thailand largest market, isn't allowing vacation travel outsidemthe country at this time. It's really a big curffle about nothing. And why would ANYONE, who didn't have to, come to Phuket right now...the tourist side of the island (Surin down to Kata Noi) is completely shutdown.

They need to open regardless. It's vital they stay on track for this for obvious reasons. I have friends that are non expats chomping at the bit to get to Phuket and let's not forget bookings already made. There are PLENTY of people that can afford and want a holiday and as mentioned it appears its a soft curfew 

Time will tell and their ain't much left 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So now we are going to call a Flip and then flop a Blooper.  What next just a misunderstanding or was it brake failure.  It's a pandemic and feces occurs.

True. Just look at what is going on in other countries. They have plenty of flip flop policies too, not just Thailand. It's a pandemic, this is what happens. No crystal balls.

22 minutes ago, madmen said:

They need to open regardless. It's vital they stay on track for this for obvious reasons. I have friends that are non expats chomping at the bit to get to Phuket and let's not forget bookings already made. There are PLENTY of people that can afford and want a holiday and as mentioned it appears its a soft curfew 

Time will tell and their ain't much left 

Yes there are some number of people who will come, quarantine or no quarantine, but the numbers are a drop in the bucket. I'm all for allowing them to visit when it's deemed safe...just that it isn't going to do much to jump start the island's economy.

To be honest, everyone is aware of the uncertainty surrounding everything related to the pandemic. Why anyone would be willing to gamble on travelling overseas under the present circumstances, unless it is really essential, is beyond me. And even if you do get somewhere, those places are mostly far from normal with many businesses closed. Just wait. There's a pandemic on and it shows no sign at all of going anywhere for some time to come. At the very best it is only being contained in some places, and it certainly isn't being overcome. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

After suffering the pandemic for over a year I think there would heaps of covid stir crazed people itching to just get away from it all.

Can not disagree with the sentiment.

But as one begins process of assembling all the paper work required for CoE and contacting respective embassy/consulate, one realizes he is not getting away from anything, on contrary, he is jumping right into middle of it all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Don Chance said:

I think Thailand's problem is how to prove people really have the vaccine when you can buy a card online.

I think that's a problem everywhere. At London Heathrow they are seeing about 100 a day and that's just the ones that are easy to spot sure to things like spelling mistakes. 

On 5/4/2021 at 2:35 AM, realfunster said:

Hi Fex- this is what is known as binary or polarized thinking. Very common these days but life is more complex than that.

In your post, something is either world class or immediately jumps to bumbling along at the bottom of world rankings. Anyone issuing a modicum of praise is pigeon-holed as a ‘cheerleader.’

I try my best to look at things objectively. I feel we have been very lucky to have been in Thailand for the past 15 months, compared to a majority of countries. Certainly, my home country has had a massively more miserable time of it with COVID in terms of illness, death and lockdowns.

But more important is what do the next 15 months look like compared to other countries.