How to find second hand or inexpensive home gym equipment

baht and sold but you will still need to pay good money for weight disks as they are expensive and hold their value. I might be able to sell you a squat rack on the cheap 4000 bt if you come up and dissemble it and take it away. BKK area. 

I also got a assault air bike for sale but probably out of your price range new 50K selling it for 25 k

With my gym closing for the 3rd time...I've bought a bench and 40kg of dumb and barbell for at home....forget the overpriced 2nd hand stuff...go on Lazada...far cheaper and more selection than marketplace, bahtsold etc...had my weights delivered yesterday and extremely happy, bench coming Saturday....oh and cost less than 3k with postage

• Like 2

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

With my gym closing for the 3rd time...I've bought a bench and 40kg of dumb and barbell for at home....forget the overpriced 2nd hand stuff...go on Lazada...far cheaper and more selection than marketplace, bahtsold etc...had my weights delivered yesterday and extremely happy, bench coming Saturday....oh and cost less than 3k with postage

You can be lucky at times.. i sold 150 kg of weights (i changed from cast iron to rubber so the sound was less). I sold it quite cheap. But normally why would anyone sell of weights cheap its not as if it damages or parts can break. Its not something what loses value. 

Machines and benches sure but dumbbells and barbells not so much.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, steveb6 said:

am interested in setting up a small home gym barbell bench dumbbell etc. Anyone have experience  buying either second hand or not expensive nee equipment.

Where are you based? If it's anywhere near Pattaya then Tony's gym and fitness place underneath the Lido Hotel On Third Road by the junction with South Pattaya Road is having a clearance sale.

Get a Thai mate to do the rounds of the gyms and you'll more than likely be able to buy old excess weights and maybe even an old bench, weight stands etc.

Heck maybe even a machine or two.

If you like a project you could buy some steel bars n tube steel profiles and weld yourself a few things and go buy the plates to save a buck. Welders are cheap as chips in LOS. 

11 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Get a Thai mate to do the rounds of the gyms and you'll more than likely be able to buy old excess weights and maybe even an old bench, weight stands etc.

If you like a project you could buy some steel bars n tube steel profiles and weld yourself a few things and go buy the plates to save a buck. Welders are cheap as chips in LOS. 

I doubt you racked up much gym time. Building something is not as easy as it seems. Plus there are already cheap builders like gymware. Hard to compete with that. But steel and coating costs money too.

As for plates they seem to hold their value quite well. The only thing i ever got made were some weight stands. But even those were not as good as those designed by professionals and made by them. 

But all you really need is a powerrack or half rack and a bench after that its just dumbbells' and barbells. Neither of those you can buy extremely cheap as unlike other stuff they don't show much wear and tear.

If you are in Pattaya go down to 3rd Road and Pattaya Tai, TONY'S GYM, he is having a fire sale!

If you want new go to the parking lot of places like BiG C Extra prior to the entrance there are usually a location that is selling equipment?

Good luck!

22 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Thanks. 

YouTube and instructabled. Com has lots of video on home built gym equipment. 

Concrete barbells are easy but they look cumbersome to me. Iron is just a lot denser than concrete. 

16 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Thanks. 

YouTube and instructabled. Com has lots of video on home built gym equipment. 

Concrete barbells are easy but they look cumbersome to me. Iron is just a lot denser than concrete. 

Not to mention you need to make different weight sets and so on. Its not like dumbbells are that expensive. But yea it all adds on. I think i got like 350 kG in 50mm disks so yes it can get expensive. But if its purely functional you don't need 350 kg. Less is ok too. Its not as if I ever use 350KG at once (wont fit on a bar). Think the max i can load a bar would be 250 kg. But doubt i need more then that.

I bought all my gym equipment here:

https://eastwestfitness.com/

Good quality and one of the cheapest options around, especially compared to the local shops selling big-name brands asking 400K baht for a squat rack. They can deliver throughout Thailand (from BKK to Phuket they charged me around 9K baht bringing my total home-gym to around 100K). 

9 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

I bought all my gym equipment here:

https://eastwestfitness.com/

Good quality and one of the cheapest options around, especially compared to the local shops selling big-name brands asking 400K baht for a squat rack. They can deliver throughout Thailand (from BKK to Phuket they charged me around 9K baht bringing my total home-gym to around 100K). 

I bought bumper plates there too. Though i the ones in decathlon are a bit cheaper. They have nice racks bought a half rack there for my new home and love the flooring they sell. Expensive but much better as what i had in my old home.

Im happy im back training, should have brought my home gym over to the new home right away.