Horrid Skin Rash, Like Excema

Jet Gorgon

Been back in Canada a year plus and just got a scaly rash on my left palm and my right heel. A bit itchy, a bit painful at times. Looks really ugly. Flaky skin and little white pimples. Never had skin probs in my life. Any ideas? Thanks.

Been back in Canada a year plus and just got a scaly rash on my left palm and my right heel. A bit itchy, a bit painful at times. Looks really ugly. Flaky skin and little white pimples. Never had skin probs in my life. Any ideas? Thanks.

A couple years ago, I had exactly the same symptoms, right between my eyes. Looks like I had leprosy. If I touched it, and then touched anywhere else on my skin, it broke out also. Seemed very contagious.

I kept rubbing an antiseptic skin lotion on it, and it finally disappeared in about three weeks. Would also be interested in knowing what it was.

Jet, haven't seen you for an age and a half. The rash sounds nasty. Are the pimples pussy or just encapsulated spots? Not that it makes any difference I don't have a clue what it is. If I were you I'd try some neat tea tree oil for a week or so and if that doesn't help at all see a doctor.

say, babe...

I had something similar on my forehead that was recurrent for the last 5 years...always would appear when working in the Middle East in a desert/salt air environment; never a problem in Thailand. The condition re-appeared immediately after my arrival in saudi to start a job by the Red Sea coast; before always a problem when working on the Gulf Coast in UAE and Bahrain.

It was nasty lookin' and people would stare...I went to a hospital once for something unrelated and the nurse scrutinized my forehead with a frown and asked how long I had had the condition. Recently, I've been scrubbing my face with a loofa empregnated with Detol anti-bacterial soap and the result has been near miraculous...almost completely disappeared!

I never did bother to have the condition diagnosed or treated as I figured what's a decrepid old <deleted> to do? Just happened to luck out with the loofa and Detol soap...check it out...

Does especially the foot, does the area where the pustules linger seem to be a little harder/thicker/stiffer? If so you probably have "Hong Kong Foot" which is litterally what the Taiwanese call it.

I have it on my right foot, itches, burns, etc. It flares up, and goes away.... seems kinda seasonal. I got it while living in Taiwan. Like you I did have it go to my hands for a very short while. I treated it like a fungus, and it went away. The foot issue, well it has been with me for about 15 years. It has become an old friend. I have heard of them as called stress blisters, and I have read that they spread through water.

Google it.... good luck

A bit itchy, a bit painful at times. Looks really ugly. Flaky skin and little white pimples. Never had skin probs in my life. Any ideas? Thanks.

It does sound a little like psoriasis, not sure about the pain, but flaky skin, little white pustules and itshness all add up, does it look inflamed as well, more than just red.

Have you had a particular upsetting experience recently?, maybe a death in the family that shook you up?, a lot more stress than usual?, they could have been a prompt for psoriasis, but no one really knows the specific causes.

Worth getting it checked out, in case it is, before it spreads.

Edited by Mossfinn

A couple years ago, I had exactly the same symptoms, right between my eyes. Looks like I had leprosy. If I touched it, and then touched anywhere else on my skin, it broke out also. Seemed very contagious.

I kept rubbing an antiseptic skin lotion on it, and it finally disappeared in about three weeks. Would also be interested in knowing what it was.

Sounds like scabies. That's highly contagious. It's self-limiting and takes about three weeks, so i've been told.

Nienke

Thanks very much, everyone for your suggestions and info.

I'm such an anti-doctor person, so I'll check with the pharmacist.

My hand has largely cleared up, but some pin-prick-sized pimples lay beneath the skin surface. My heel is not better. Scaly skin and papery red underneath, and teeny pimples; they don't ooze, but seem to break under the skin and dry up.

Actually thought it was an old soap I used so switched to Neutrogena. Will try Dettol soap, Tutsi (how are you, kind Stranger? Hope work is going well and you'll be back home soon).

Moss, I was more stressed out before, that's what's weird. I looked at many websites, but the pics don't show anything close up.

It does not seem contagious, Toptuan; nothing on the rest of my body and nobody else has contracted it.

Leisurely, will try teatree, too.

And it's finally nearing flip-flop weather. Groan. I refuse to wear socks with my flippies.

Contact dermatitis.Had exactly the same symptoms as you Jet on my hands.Started as itchy then white pimply things and then flared up red,sore itchy and scaly.A couple of other girls in our company got it too.

My hand looked like an extra out of Alien.Was in Hongkong at the time went to the doc who did a 'culture growth' and said it was contact dermatitis.CLOBETASIL knocked it out but it took ages and he also said it could reaccur yikes!

Caused by coming in contact with an irritant as opposed to aptopic dermatitis.

Edited by Momo8

Thanks, Bambina. I thought of that, too. Drier climate, wearing socks all the time, heavily chlorinated water. But I've been here over a year; would expect the change in the first few months.

OK, I'll quit whingeing and get it looked at. 555

Don't know what's available over the counter in Canada, but if they have a combination antifungal and antiinflammatory cream, try that. What you describe is most likely either fungal, in which case it will respond to creams that contain clotrimazole or it is an inflammatory reactiion which will respond to creams containing cortison or other steroids. If you can find a cream that contains both (common here in LOS) that should work for either.

otherwise, try an antifungal first; if no improvement, try hydrocortisone. And consider if there is anything you are in contact with that you might be allergic to.

Don't know what's available over the counter in Canada, but if they have a combination antifungal and antiinflammatory cream, try that. What you describe is most likely either fungal, in which case it will respond to creams that contain clotrimazole or it is an inflammatory reactiion which will respond to creams containing cortison or other steroids. If you can find a cream that contains both (common here in LOS) that should work for either.

otherwise, try an antifungal first; if no improvement, try hydrocortisone. And consider if there is anything you are in contact with that you might be allergic to.

Thanks, Sheryl. Yes, I am allergic to Canada.