Urgent travel to USA!

Dogberry

I’m expletive deleted. Just now took a call from my daughter in Oregon. Emergency situation and I need to get there, NOW.

I can find a ticket… Qatar through DOH. United through Narita… They’re available.

I’m located in Chiang Mai.

I working through the anxiety and will find the answers but ANY short cuts to information would a blessing to me right now as I’m totally flummoxed and this is so far off my radar I don’t even know where to begin. Go I must and ASAP.

I'm working through the following questions:

Say I need to use Air Asia to BKK. Do I need Covid test to fly domestically?

I remember some background noise on different kinds of Covid tests. What test do I need?

Surely that test available in Chaing Mai… gawd I hope… where? Never mind cost.

What else is there that I’m NOT thinking of? Don’t need reentry permit as my permission to stay will expire soon. I’ll get a Retirement Visa through the Thai consulate (LA) when I’m allowed to return. 

????

Jeeze… I’d say why now but it’s just the way (stuff) happens, right?

Edited by Dogberry
addition

I just recently traveled from Chiang Mai to the USA last week.   You’ll need a negative Covid test results in order to board your international flight to the USA in BKK.  There are several places in CM to get the test.  There is already another thread on the CM Forum that lists a couple of places you could check out.  We went to Dr. Morgan’s clinic on Hang Dong Rd for our tests.   We got swabbed in the morning and then received the results that evening.  They are familiar with what type of test is needed and also provide a Fit to Fly form signed by the doctor.  Everything was pretty straight forward.  One of the biggest challenges was the leg from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.   We booked a flight on Thai Smile and our original flight was cancelled and they automatically booked us on a later flight.  That flight later got cancelled a week before we left and they automatically booked us on another flight, which ended up being the only flight remaining that day.  Thankfully, that flight flew as scheduled.  Friends of ours booked Air Asia to go from CM to BKK.  They had a similar experience and their flight got cancelled multiple times until Air Asia finally told them that there were no more flights that day.  They received a credit voucher for a future flight (not their money back) and in the end they booked the one Thai Smile flight flying that day as well.  My advice would be to look at Thai Smile to get to Bangkok.  Our flight out of BKK was at 7am so we flew the day before and stayed the night in a hotel near the airport.  Everything went smoothly.  Just make sure to have a good, comfortable mask that you’ll be wearing for a long time.

• Like 2

Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel.

The above is from the US embassy.

Also, some facilities will not give you a test unless you show them your booked flight information.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kast said:

We got swabbed in the morning and then received the results that evening.

What kind of swabs are they using these days? Is it that horrible kind that they were using early in the pandemic that goes all the way into your nose right up to your brain almost or is it the kind being used in the UK now which is just a quick swipe of the tonsils and then one or two inches up the nose?

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Sad 1

If you want to arrive slightly better rested, IMO way better hard and soft product on Qatar if those are your two options.   Hmm...time wise to the west coast though, yeah, UA. 

Edited by Heng
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, kast said:

I just recently traveled from Chiang Mai to the USA last week.   You’ll need a negative Covid test results in order to board your international flight to the USA in BKK.  There are several places in CM to get the test.  There is already another thread on the CM Forum that lists a couple of places you could check out.  We went to Dr. Morgan’s clinic on Hang Dong Rd for our tests.   We got swabbed in the morning and then received the results that evening.  They are familiar with what type of test is needed and also provide a Fit to Fly form signed by the doctor.  Everything was pretty straight forward.  One of the biggest challenges was the leg from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.   We booked a flight on Thai Smile and our original flight was cancelled and they automatically booked us on a later flight.  That flight later got cancelled a week before we left and they automatically booked us on another flight, which ended up being the only flight remaining that day.  Thankfully, that flight flew as scheduled.  Friends of ours booked Air Asia to go from CM to BKK.  They had a similar experience and their flight got cancelled multiple times until Air Asia finally told them that there were no more flights that day.  They received a credit voucher for a future flight (not their money back) and in the end they booked the one Thai Smile flight flying that day as well.  My advice would be to look at Thai Smile to get to Bangkok.  Our flight out of BKK was at 7am so we flew the day before and stayed the night in a hotel near the airport.  Everything went smoothly.  Just make sure to have a good, comfortable mask that you’ll be wearing for a long time.

Are you required to quarantine on arrival in the USA? Thanks.

4 hours ago, ricklev said:

Are you required to quarantine on arrival in the USA? Thanks.

for Americans>> NO quarantine on arrival>
good friend just flew back to LA on monday , got his J&J shot on weds

flew Phuket-Singapore-LA

• Thanks 1

Not sure I'd go through Doha.  Seems like it would make the trip a lot longer.  JAL has some great prices, via Japan.  Under $1k.

No quarantine on arrival.  Just get your covid test 3 days before you leave.  And as stated above, domestic flights are being canceled all the time.  Maybe spend a night near the airport in Bangkok just to be safe.  It'd suck to miss that flight.

We're leaving in a few weeks and have N95 masks for the flight.  Something to consider.

Best of luck.  Hope things work out for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Passenger disclosure form required.  Info here:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/attachment-a-global-passenger-disclosure-attestation-2021-p.pdf

Depending on where you're landing there may be local requirements, eg for New York State:

https://forms.ny.gov/s3/Welcome-to-New-York-State-Traveler-Health-Form

For other destinations look here:

https://www.cdc.gov/publichealthgateway/healthdirectories/healthdepartments.html

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Aomelia said:

Fly Japan Airlines 800 bucks RT and changeable Big seats in economy also SFO to BKK

I would probably get out of CM first get test near airport in BKK and stay one night many hotel options close to airport 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

So get the PCR test from a hospital or clinic ! What is fit to fly test if you already have a the result of test!  Is that automatically given ?

A fit-to-fly certificate has never been required for travel to the US, and is no longer required for returning to Thailand, either. It may be that some doctors or clinics are issuing it "just in case", since they probably don't know the specific entry requirements of each country, and it's easy enough to sign one extra form.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kast said:

My advice would be to look at Thai Smile to get to Bangkok.

Good advice, Thai or Thai smile. (same-same)
Thai vietjet and NOK are also flying but NOK goes to Don Meuang.

Definitely do not book AirAsia, guaranteed the flight will be cancelled and they are so close to going bust there is no way you will get your money back, only vouchers and if they do go bust, vouchers will be worthless.!

Chiangmai Mediclinic also does covid testing.  Results same day or overnight depending on when you take the test.  They’re on Social media...or google them.  Check with them on the fit to travel cert. too.  They do it...not sure you’ll need it tho.  They’re very responsive and English speaking.

6 hours ago, zzzzz said:

for Americans>> NO quarantine on arrival>
good friend just flew back to LA on monday , got his J&J shot on weds

flew Phuket-Singapore-LA

No quarantine IF you have that negative test result.   My friend (also a U.S. citizen) just told me this last night, since he recently arrived there and related his experience to me when I asked.

1 minute ago, treetops said:

Probably wouldn't be allowed to board the flight in the first place without a test.

I was thinking the same thing, but since I don't recall that detail from my friend I didn't want to speak out of hand.

I flew to the US two weeks ago on Qatar. The required Covid test must be done within 3 days of your departure flight. The CDC FAQ explains if you fly anytime on Friday, a test needs to be taken on Tue, Wed, or Thurs. I

I live in Phuket and had my 3,000 baht test on a Tuesday. The results were emailed to me on Wednesday. I printed out the lab report and that was fine for the 3 am Friday Qatar flight. No fit to fly is required. The printout was reviewed in Bangkok and upon my arrival in Chicago. 

With domestic flights being regularly cancelled, I agree with other posters who suggested you should get to Bangkok in advance even if that means wasting more time at the BKK airport. I could choose ANA or JAL with connections in Tokyo, or Qatar or Emirates. The choice comes down to flight departure times, length of connections, and final destination. Qatar tickets were the most flexible and changeable with no fee so if you are uncertain on your return date, they are likely the best option.

I was able to get my first Pfizer jab the day after I arrived in the US and will get my second one next week. If you're not there for 3 weeks or more, you could get the one shot J&J vaccine. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 6:25 PM, Dogberry said:

What else is there that I’m NOT thinking of? Don’t need reentry permit as my permission to stay will expire soon. I’ll get a Retirement Visa through the Thai consulate (LA) when I’m allowed to return. 

Ok. I'll answer.    how many blank pages do you have left in your valid passport?

Why no one mentions Delta who use Korean airlines through ICN.  Right now Japan having large case  numbers.  12 days ago my fiance flew Delta to sea but they also go to lax.  Most airlines currently offering no change fees.  They tried to stop free changes booked after March 31 but that didn't stick.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Why no one mentions Delta who use Korean airlines through ICN.  Right now Japan having large case  numbers.  12 days ago my fiance flew Delta to sea but they also go to lax.  Most airlines currently offering no change fees.  They tried to stop free changes booked after March 31 but that didn't stick.  

Delta doesn't have the best connections.

• Like 1

I'm going back to the USA next week and have been doing a lot of research.  Here's what I found...

US citizens only need a valid 3 day Covid negative test.  PCR or Antigen test is OK.

Supposed 10 day self quarantine for non vaccinated arrivals and only a 7 day quarantine for vaccers.

How this can be enforced is dubious.

There is an Attestation form that needs to be printed out and signed to show at US Customs.  You can find

a link on most airline websites in the Covid section.

38 minutes ago, LALes said:

I'm going back to the USA next week and have been doing a lot of research.  Here's what I found...

US citizens only need a valid 3 day Covid negative test.  PCR or Antigen test is OK.

Supposed 10 day self quarantine for non vaccinated arrivals and only a 7 day quarantine for vaccers.

How this can be enforced is dubious.

There is an Attestation form that needs to be printed out and signed to show at US Customs.  You can find

a link on most airline websites in the Covid section.

Here is the attestation form.  It doesn't mention quarantine but the CDC page confirms what you wrote about 7-10 day quarantine.  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/after-travel-precautions.html Interesting that people are reporting no quarantine required. Is it not even mentioned by immigration when you enter the USA?

attachment-a-global-passenger-disclosure-attestation-2021-p.pdf

Edited by ricklev

19 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

"Not sure I'd go through Doha.  Seems like it would make the trip a lot longer.  JAL has some great prices, via Japan.  Under $1k."

That's a great fare on JAL. And routing through DOHA adds substantially to flight time to the US, as you noted..

If you're flying business, though, you can't beat the Qatar QSuite. QSuites are available both BKK-DOH and DOH-SFO. Terrific lounge in Doha, too. Worth the extra five hours en route, IMO. I slammed some champagne cocktails and slept much of the way. 

My Qatar flight in March was virtually empty. 5 pax in biz class. I asked the flight attendants to make up a double suite for me. They did with a smile. Good food, great service. 

Hope there's a happy resolution to your issue in Oregon. Good luck. "

11 hours ago, ricklev said:

Here is the attestation form.  It doesn't mention quarantine but the CDC page confirms what you wrote about 7-10 day quarantine.  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/after-travel-precautions.html Interesting that people are reporting no quarantine required. Is it not even mentioned by immigration when you enter the USA?

attachment-a-global-passenger-disclosure-attestation-2021-p.pdf 60.63 kB · 4 downloads

You can walk across the border from Tijuana to San Diego without even a Covid test so how stringently followed are these quarantine "laws"?

• Like 1