Strange and surprising YOUTUBE channels that you subscribe to

"Three Arrows" is a channel of video essays on politics and history by a German who speaks a very adept and subtle English with a slight German accent.  He researches his topics thoroughly enough to debunk the right-wingers especially, both in the US and Germany.  In this video he is rebutting a defense of the German military during WWII that is apparently frequently heard in Germany to the effect that "not all German soldiers were bad."  He refutes this exculpation by detailing the ways in which the institutions involved, the Wehrmacht, the SS, etc. were organized toward criminal ends which therefore characterized the entire organization and implicated every member.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

It would be a little less impressive if he were Chinese-American, wouldn't it?

so you compare being jew (religion) to chinese or american (citizenship) ?

seems like you don't understand things very well...

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That means you are never ever allowed to criticize anything in that channel. Otherwise you will be branded as anti-Semite. 

yes this I know, but why is it important for the guy who posted the link to say that this guy is jewish ? if you say that he is from israel I can understand, but why having to say that he is jewish ? I guess that this is part of the reasons that since 2000 years everybody hate jews and want to get rid of them ? These people just call themselves innocent but never wonder if there could have some real reasons why people hate them ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That means you are never ever allowed to criticize anything in that channel. Otherwise you will be branded as anti-Semite. 

No it doesn't mean that at all.

To me it's an important detail as a secular American Jew myself (culture not religion) because it sheds light on the context of his channel. Such Jews are quite often heavily into things "ethnic" particularly Asian. Such Jews often have a special relationship with Chinese Americans. Chinese restaurants are the  place so many Jews go to eat at Christmas. Such Jews are more likely than other non Asian Americans to have Asian love interests. True to form Xiaomanyc married a Chinese woman.

To be clear Xiaomanyc only very rarely alludes to his ethnic identity in his videos. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

yes this I know, but why is it important for the guy who posted the link to say that this guy is jewish ? if you say that he is from israel I can understand, but why having to say that he is jewish ? I guess that this is part of the reasons that since 2000 years everybody hate jews and want to get rid of them ? These people just call themselves innocent but never wonder if there could have some real reasons why people hate them ?

I don't wonder whether YOU hate them, dude.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

It would be a little less impressive if he were Chinese-American, wouldn't it?

It would be less impressive because Chinese American parents often pressure their children to learn Chinese. 

Xiaomanyc's language prowess goes way beyond Chinese though. He knows how to get the gist of most any languages in weeks. He uses that talent and hard work to entertain a large audience on YOUTUBE. 

Channel: The World According to Briggs

Another successful channel from a guy who's kind of annoying. He does tons of themed location videos. Mostly in the US but some international. The info he presents needs to be taken with a ton of salt because most of what he talks about is just recycled statistics but I still find many of his topics interesting  

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Channel: Asia@Night

Riding around Bacolod Negros Philippines. Never shows his face. I'm mildly interested in Bacolod but the

main reason I watch is that I find his voice and attitude hilarious. 

Edited by Jingthing

Channel: Old Time Radio Researchers

For us older Americans, these radio shows are gems. You can search for "Old Time Radio" and you will find numerous other channels uploading this content. I find it fantastic to listen to while working or falling asleep. Some even include the advertisements from that era, which are priceless.

More JP Sears (channel = awakenwithJP)

JP is a life coach/satirist/comedian and one of the most kind, thoughtful and insightful people on youtube (in my opinion).  His serious videos are equally as good as his satirical videos although he is more known for his satirical “ultra spiritual” videos.

Here are a couple of his funny videos,  (including his first) and a serious one on gay marriage that I think Jingthing might appreciate.

The world needs more people like JP

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scoupeo said:

so you compare being jew (religion) to chinese or american (citizenship) ?

seems like you don't understand things very well...

Let me extend a warm welcome to my ignore list, subsection: incoherents.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It would be less impressive because Chinese American parents often pressure their children to learn Chinese. 

Xiaomanyc's language prowess goes way beyond Chinese though. He knows how to get the gist of most any languages in weeks. He uses that talent and hard work to entertain a large audience on YOUTUBE. 

The polyglots are a truly amazing bunch.  Have you every watched the videos of Lydia Machova?  By the time she was thirty she was doing simultaneous translating in any direction among nine languages even though she had never lived outside her native Slovenia.  Makes me feel like it's just porridge between my ears.

I am sure many Chinese-Americans study Chinese from their own motivation as well.  But they have a leg up since there would likely have been some Chinese language in their environment growing up.

7 hours ago, Denim said:

An interesting guy talking about military technology ( and other things ) throughout history.

Lindybeige channel 

I watched a few of lindybeige's videos.  He does know a lot of arcana, but when he started ranting against immigrants I lost interest.

16 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

The polyglots are a truly amazing bunch.  Have you every watched the videos of Lydia Machova?  By the time she was thirty she was doing simultaneous translating in any direction among nine languages even though she had never lived outside her native Slovenia.  Makes me feel like it's just porridge between my ears.

I am sure many Chinese-Americans study Chinese from their own motivation as well.  But they have a leg up since there would likely have been some Chinese language in their environment growing up.

No, I wasn't aware of Ms. Machova.

There was a much more famous YOUTUBE polyglot than Xiamanyc called Laoshu505000 (Moses Monweal McCormick) who recently died at a too young age. 

Personally I'm about as far from a polyglot as it's possible to be, but I am seriously into Chinese food like Xiamanyc though of course he is swimming in it living in New York. 

YouTuber Laoshu505000 Who Spoke Over 20 Languages Passes Away at 39 (yahoo.com)

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No, I wasn't aware of Ms. Machova.

There was a much more famous YOUTUBE polyglot than Xiamanyc called Laoshu505000 (Moses Monweal McCormick) who recently died at a too young age. 

YouTuber Laoshu505000 Who Spoke Over 20 Languages Passes Away at 39 (yahoo.com)

Yeah, another one.  If travel ever resumes I would like to attend one of the polyglot conferences in Europe sometime, although I don't know how helpful it would actually be.

4 hours ago, timendres said:

Channel: Serpentza

This guy spent over 10 years in China, and reports some very interesting insights. He has ridden his motorcycle all over the country and has seen things few foreigners ever see. Married to a Chinese doctor. You know he is reporting serious stuff, since the CCP has spent serious effort attacking his efforts.

Yes, he has some interesting videos and he learned the language, but he seems a little dodgy.

Don't want to jinx this but when I started this I was thinking, there's a good chance it will be a total dud (like the majority of threads that I start, ha ha). So I'm happy that it's had a pretty darn respectable (??) start. I got a few new ideas of interesting stuff to watch myself, which is kind of the point. There is so so much content on YOUTUBE even more than t.v. and movies as any one person might be aware of what percentage of it (less than one percent)? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Don't want to jinx this but when I started this I was thinking, there's a good chance it will be a total dud (like the majority of threads that I start, ha ha). So I'm happy that it's had a pretty darn respectable (??) start. I got a few new ideas of interesting stuff to watch myself, which is kind of the point. There is so so much content on YOUTUBE even more than t.v. and movies as any one person might be aware of what percentage of it (less than one percent)? 

It is a good thread. YouTube's recommendations are quite narrow. Hoping we get dozens of pages to skim for those times we would like some fresh content ideas.