What Planet Am I On?

YaiJung

So I am trying to park my motorbike across from jungceylon today near the corner of Bangla when I hear "<deleted>%k You!, <deleted>&k You!". Naturally I start looking around to who is yelling this abuse at who. I was surprised to see 4 tuktuk drivers glaring at me and shouting obscenities at me.

I was parked in an empty motorbike slot right next to 3 three other bikes in three other slots. Apparently I was enroaching on tuktuk territory without realizing it, seeing as there were none of the usual "taxi service" signs or anything, I think its an honest mistake. These guys were looking for a fight and ready to pounce on me if I hadn't backed my bike out and drove off(I've seen them bait tourists into fights in this area so I knew to just leave instead of get stabbed or something).

Jeez...what the h^ll is going on around here? The police were right there within 30 ft. Believe me I don't need anyone to be extra polite with me, but to jump right into "fightin words" without a warning or anthing is a going a little overboard. Keep in mind I didnt say one word to anybody around there, muchless the drivers who were yelling at me. I can see were this incident could have instantly escalated into violence had I behaved like I would have been inclined to back home. Why is it that these scumbags are allowed to sit there hurl abuse at people and instigate fights all day and night directly in full view of the police? These guys are obviously not afraid of the cops in the least. So that also brings up, what is with the cops around here? Why are the police submissive to these lowlifes? Are the cops really that powerless? If so what good are they?

Seems like every time I go down there to get a burger from BK I have some kind of incident with all the local scumbags who hang around there and stake out public property as their own. Just yesterday it was a motorbike driver swooping in and stealing a spot that I had been patiently waiting for with my blinker on as another falang was getting his helmet on, backing out(at home I could have stood my ground and taken the spot, but here I'm risking a knife in the back). I don't want a fight with anybody, I just want a burger goddammit! I better not even start on the little old ladies who cut me off regularly in carrefour at the vegetable weigh station...lol.

So I am trying to park my motorbike across from jungceylon today near the corner of Bangla when I hear "<deleted>%k You!, <deleted>&k You!". Naturally I start looking around to who is yelling this abuse at who. I was surprised to see 4 tuktuk drivers glaring at me and shouting obscenities at me.

I was parked in an empty motorbike slot right next to 3 three other bikes in three other slots. Apparently I was enroaching on tuktuk territory without realizing it, seeing as there were none of the usual "taxi service" signs or anything, I think its an honest mistake. These guys were looking for a fight and ready to pounce on me if I hadn't backed my bike out and drove off(I've seen them bait tourists into fights in this area so I knew to just leave instead of get stabbed or something).

Jeez...what the h^ll is going on around here? The police were right there within 30 ft. Believe me I don't need anyone to be extra polite with me, but to jump right into "fightin words" without a warning or anthing is a going a little overboard. Keep in mind I didnt say one word to anybody around there, muchless the drivers who were yelling at me. I can see were this incident could have instantly escalated into violence had I behaved like I would have been inclined to back home. Why is it that these scumbags are allowed to sit there hurl abuse at people and instigate fights all day and night directly in full view of the police? These guys are obviously not afraid of the cops in the least. So that also brings up, what is with the cops around here? Why are the police submissive to these lowlifes? Are the cops really that powerless? If so what good are they?

Seems like every time I go down there to get a burger from BK I have some kind of incident with all the local scumbags who hang around there and stake out public property as their own. Just yesterday it was a motorbike driver swooping in and stealing a spot that I had been patiently waiting for with my blinker on as another falang was getting his helmet on, backing out(at home I could have stood my ground and taken the spot, but here I'm risking a knife in the back). I don't want a fight with anybody, I just want a burger goddammit! I better not even start on the little old ladies who cut me off regularly in carrefour at the vegetable weigh station...lol.

Sounds like that is not a safe place for you to go to! Maybe you should try someplace else!

While I have known a few people that have had real issues with tuktuk drivers they are far and few between! Luckily I ride everyday and often go to JungCeylon often and have NEVER had a problem! Far too visible for most forms of silliness to start.

My biggest issue there has been having my dog in her backpack <totally enclosed case with mesh windows> and having security try and stop me when passing through the mall. I carefully explain I have a bag NOT a dog :o and keep going! Never a MAJOR problem.

<note---- I go to JungCeylon about twice a week sometimes far more :D >

What are you dealing with?

I think you've answered your own question there.

Lowlife Scumbags - all of them, and there's nothing anyone can do about

this particular evolutionary anomaly.

Sometimes nature gets it wrong.

You did completely the right thing by walking away.

You have to remember that these animals are cowards, and will not take you on one2one,

2 on 1 is rare, 4-6 on 1 is the norm. They will use weapons without thought or concern.

Your life is more important and avoid the fight if possible. If you are cornered,

defend yourself at all costs and use whatever method you can, to get away. Anything goes

if you or a close one is of danger of death. Anything.

As for the cops; well basically the same animal, but wearing a uniform.

Low wages supported only by bribes and extortion from the tourists.

That's why they won't do anything to help. Mind you, a little 'tea money'

in that direction can help, but I couldn't possibly comment on such things..

The little o'ladies in Carrefore need caution too, it seems. :o

Strange, very strange........

Living more than 14 years in Thailand, the last 6 years here in Phuket.

But why does nothing happened to me like this?

Wrong body language, bad luck or just karma?

Gerd

Doesn't happen to me either .... but oh well ... some people are blessed with excitement in their lives that I just don't get to have :o

wow 24 posts and almost 100% negative on Thailand! <other than those slapping at the folks that aren't!>

Posting from Thailand? I kinda doubt it!

post #4 :o

wow 24 posts
:D

Regarding Billy ... the post directly above ..... :D

That statement boggles the mind. So anyone with less than 1000 posts is not a truer, more honest person than, oh, let's say, YOU?

The tuk tuks are scumbags. Or you like them because..........? Oh I won't go there.

wow 24 posts and almost 100% negative on Thailand! <other than those slapping at the folks that aren't!>

That statement boggles the mind. So anyone with less than 1000 posts is not a truer, more honest person than, oh, let's say, YOU?

The tuk tuks are scumbags. Or you like them because..........? Oh I won't go there.

LOL ... no 1000 posts and all negative on Thailand would be the same :o <Thankfully trolls don't often make it to 1000 posts!>

I have had very few dealings with tuktuks in Phuket and all have been OK from the start .... or I didn't get in:) In Kamala the locals want $300 just to go over the hill to Patong ... so instead I head up to the main road and wait for an empty one heading that way .. 1/2 that price. <Only get in one when going drinking and NOT spending the night there ... otherwise I ride the bike!>

Edited by jdinasia

name='sniperteam6' date='2007-05-21 21:41:47' post='1315809']That statement boggles the mind. So anyone with less than 1000 posts is not a truer, more honest person than, oh, let's say, YOU?

well, well JD, looks like somebody else daring to have a different point

of view to you. Does that make them trolls? :o

quote: JD

Doesn't happen to me either .... but oh well ... some people are blessed

with excitement in their lives that I just don't get to have..

......most sad to hear about your sad, no life, boring existance.

Only a guess here, but a combination of 'personality and fate,' would seem a plausable

explanation in what would appear to be an extreme example cited. :D

As a Patong resident I have to agree that the red menace are a real PITA and getting worse.. Sadly the MB taxis which used to be fairly fine seem to have started to copy them..

Had my GF in floods of tears running in the house cos a MB taxi demanded 80 baht fare for a short ride through town and when she argued made like he was going to punch her.. Nice example of manhood.

To those that say this is all made up stuff.. Just go and park your bike in the public parking at the front of JC or the top of Bangla rat U thit junction..

The little shit that runs the parking on Sansabai has his time coming too.. Threatened my little brother with a blade the other day..

:D I could never imagine people acting like that, crikey. You did good to walk away from the &lt;deleted&gt;, If someone had spoken to me like that in my home country, I would have done something about it, (more than likely I would run off) :o for sure. It is 6 years since I last was in Phuket, sounds like some things are a changing for sure!

At first glance you may see a parallel with Darwinism (adaptation/survival of the fittest). There are far too many tuk tuks competing for the farang baht. Usually, you would expect to see them pouncing on each other but it seems to be different with these people (and they seemed to work well as a team when they 'discouraged' the bus service from Patong to Karon/Kata). So here is an opportunity for an enterprising farang - start up a songthaew service between Patong, Karon, Kata (Yai) and Kata Noi. Four to six songthaews should be enough and you would fill them every time. The problem is that you would need four off-duty police in each songthaew for security against the TTM - may cut slightly into the profits (or would it be a 'conflict of interest' for the police?)

Just as a matter of idle curiosity, can anyone enlighten us on the current prices of the baht buses in Pattaya (as a comparison with Phuket tuk tuks)?

:o can you tell me the current prices of trains in Phuket and trains in ......

The current price for the bus from Phuket (big songtheaw) is 20 baht to town

Just as a matter of idle curiosity, can anyone enlighten us on the current prices of the baht buses in Pattaya (as a comparison with Phuket tuk tuks)?

:o can you tell me the current prices of trains in Phuket and trains in ......

The current price for the bus from Phuket (big songtheaw) is 20 baht to town

Thanks, but you can keep your bate and smilies Jdinasia; to give you the benefit of the doubt, I assume that your troll-like response was due to this subject probably having been discussed in previous topics. Just bear in mind that you never know who you will meet at one of the get-togethers that are organised on Thaivisa.

I am aware of the songtheaw prices, I was merely curious as to the current prices of baht buses in Pattaya and I see that they are still 10 baht (on the circuit). It makes an interesting comparison with the situation in Patong (up from around 20, 30 then 40 baht a few years ago local to 200 baht now). If this is a repetitive thread, then so be it - the more interest that can be generated in respect of the TTM, the better.

I meet all kinds of people everywhere ... no worries about that ... but it did smack of a threat. :o

My response said what I meant it to say ... trying to compare a routed service in Pattaya to something that doesn't exist in Patong is a silly thing! <Kinda like the April Fool's joke that had a train in Phuket smashing into a lao khao factory>

Should Phuket have better transportation options locally? Of course! Does whingeing on about it help? NO!

Is this a repetitive theme ... duh! been done to death ... and will be for many years to come! There's a reason I ride or drive here .... but I still manage to get from Kamala to Patong for 150 and from Patong to Kamala for 200 by 'tuktuk' when I am going out that way drinking!

I meet all kinds of people everywhere ... no worries about that ... but it did smack of a threat. :o

My response said what I meant it to say ... trying to compare a routed service in Pattaya to something that doesn't exist in Patong is a silly thing! <Kinda like the April Fool's joke that had a train in Phuket smashing into a lao khao factory>

Should Phuket have better transportation options locally? Of course! Does whingeing on about it help? NO!

Is this a repetitive theme ... duh! been done to death ... and will be for many years to come! There's a reason I ride or drive here .... but I still manage to get from Kamala to Patong for 150 and from Patong to Kamala for 200 by 'tuktuk' when I am going out that way drinking!

Not intended as a threat at all - merely pointing-out that you may find yourself embarassed if you troll someone at Thaivisa and then get introduced to them in person.

Yes, I agree that whingeing achieves nothing. But if we can keep some momentum on the issue of public transport, I do not see that as a bad thing. I also drive when in Phuket, but it would be nice to have the option of affordable public transport. And in past years, you will recall that the tuk tuks in Patong could be used like the baht buses in Pattaya. To drop you off three or four hundred yards down the road now would set you back 200 baht. And then there's the handwritten sign posted below the printed sign in the car park at Big C - the printed sign wth the set prices and the handwritten sign advising of the extra tip. I suppose there are always the motor cycle taxis, but I like them as much as I like the Bangkok tuk tuks.

If the situation is as bad as some (most?) say, wouldn't a letter to the Tourist Authority, copy to the Police Chief, saying that if the situation does not improve in say one month then letters will be sent to every newspaper and TV holiday programme in the civilised world giving the facts of the situation and advising prospective tourists to stay away on the grounds of personal safety? Whether it would be wise to sign such a letter is of course a moot point. Overkill?

Previous Phuket Governors tried to implement some sort of regulation of Tuk Tuk fares, with fixed prices to be clearly posted inside the Tuk Tuk. None of these plans worked as the Tuk Tuk blocked/mobbed the Governor's office and Patong police station. These plans never even got off the ground. These people are out of control and seem to be above the law. They don't seem to realise they are shooting themselves in the foot over the longer term as word is already speading on varous travel forums.

Previous Phuket Governors tried to implement some sort of regulation of Tuk Tuk fares, with fixed prices to be clearly posted inside the Tuk Tuk. None of these plans worked as the Tuk Tuk blocked/mobbed the Governor's office and Patong police station. These plans never even got off the ground. These people are out of control and seem to be above the law. They don't seem to realise they are shooting themselves in the foot over the longer term as word is already speading on varous travel forums.

Yes, I agree they have shown themselves to be above the law, based on their deep family connections to the local villages, etc.. Truly some type of entrenched mafia that seems impossible to change. I recommend to everyone who travels to Phuket to rent a car or motorbike and avoid them completely. However, even as an expat living years on Phuket, I avoid the beach road in Patong at all costs to avoid the catcalls. As bothersome and aggresive as they are, they are similarly unable to differentiate a long time expat from a tourist and so are as annoying to expats as tourists.

It's interesting to read reports from many tourists happy with Tuk Tuk services. I guess that's because they are happy to pay the driver's asking price (& give a tip !) thinking that the fare is cheap in comparison with their home country taxis. They don't seem to realise that these fares are expensive in terms of Thailand economy. and in comparison with meter taxis in Bangkok & Phuket (if you can find one in Phuket Town !). This leads the driver to charge even more, and expect the same fares from resident Farangs & even Thais.

I've watched the Tuk Tuks for 10+ years I've lived on Phuket Island and there is no doubt their violence has esculated (from some drivers, not all) each year, and is now at intolerable levels. They can turn on the charm if they smell a fat fare, but woe to anyone trying to bargain.

I too have experienced the parking difficulties on Rat-u-tit near Juncylon, as related by JaiYung. Tuk Tuks & motor bike taxis have taken over many of the public parking bays near Junceylon and if anyone dares to try and park, wow... watch out for fireworks. I searched for a car park bay acouple of weeks ago, found one and parked. Immediatel a guy popped out from nowhere and quite nicely asked me to move as it was reserved for Tuk Tuk. I suggested it was a public parking spot, so he dragged a no parking sign/Tuk Tuk only from a nearby shop front. As my car was only 3 weeks old and I knew that it would have been vandalised if I ignored the guy, I just took the Jai Yin Yin route and drove away to find a spot further down the road. Although just today I had a lot of trouble finding a spot anywhere on Rat-u-tit as the taxis are spreading even further down the road.

As my car was only 3 weeks old and I knew that it would have been vandalised if I ignored the guy, I just took the Jai Yin Yin route and drove away to find a spot further down the road. Although just today I had a lot of trouble finding a spot anywhere on Rat-u-tit as the taxis are spreading even further down the road.

They are the scourge of the island, no doubt. Bangkok taxis are a dream, cheap, comfortable new cars, available, and if you speak basic Thai you will never get any hassles, and even non-Thai speakers I hear have very few problems. Pattaya of course is dirt cheap for transport. Funny thing is, my Thai wife and I have gotten to know some of them as local boys in the village and when not driving, at least a few of them are great boys. In fact, we were caught in the Tsunami and were helped greatly by a couple of Tuk-Tuk boys. However, my wife has lived in and owned a business for 18 years in Phuket and told me to never, ever provoke them, or you will suffer the consequences.