Why do you live in Thailand?

Kanada

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My dad used to sit in a chair in front of the coal fire drinking tea all day and reading the newspaper.

Then in the evening, the tea would be replaced by beer.

I don't know many old people in my life, but most were working till they couldn't. All this leisure time we have now is a luxury previous generations probably never knew. Go back far enough and not many survived as long as us anyway.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If we didn't complain about things forums probably wouldn't exist.

My point is that while the internet exists ( and even I use it ) is it a good thing? I don't think so.

Humanity has become far too dependent on the computer/ internet IMO. One only has to look at the hack for ransom on the US pipeline, and in NZ an entire district of a heath board went down because of computer problems.

Kids can't even count in their head now. When they need a calculator to work out what change I need when I give a 100 baht note for a 70 baht item, we have problems.

but we are dependent on the automobile too...did the auto make it better or worse?!

(ask the horse)

we are dependent on satellite communications....better or worse?

I could write a book on what we are dependent on and so could you!

I do get your point but I think it’s not that simple....and depends on whose eyes you’re seeing it they I guess

Just now, Kanada said:

but we are dependent on the automobile too...did the auto make it better or worse?!

(ask the horse)

we are dependent on satellite communications....better or worse?

I could write a book on what we are dependent on and so could you!

I do get your point but I think it’s not that simple....and depends on whose eyes you’re seeing it they I guess

Ummm. We are not dependent on individual automobile transportation. Few people of my grandparents generation owned a car. They used public transport or bicycle.

The way cities are getting congested I can see private cars being banned to save them.

We are not dependent on satellite communication. I lived most of my working life before they were common place.

We are dependent on things because we chose to be, not because we had to be.

Corona has shown what a mistake it was to be dependent on overseas tourism.

Of course it's not simple, but IMO it's a mistake to be too dependent on something that can be denied simply because a tree fell on a wire, or because criminals can hack the system for ransom.

47 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If we didn't complain about things forums probably wouldn't exist.

My point is that while the internet exists ( and even I use it ) is it a good thing? I don't think so.

Humanity has become far too dependent on the computer/ internet IMO. One only has to look at the hack for ransom on the US pipeline, and in NZ an entire district of a heath board went down because of computer problems.

Kids can't even count in their head now. When they need a calculator to work out what change I need when I give a 100 baht note for a 70 baht item, we have problems.

I just got a video this morning of my four year old grand daughter reading a new book she got!

My two youngest sons completed uni. with 3.8 and 3.9 GPA and my step daughter completed her last year on the computer because of Covid

Kids are much smarter and better educated than we ever were...computor!!

I’m exasperated by the amount of young people working in shops here sitting on the phone all day long but that’s a different thing????

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ummm. We are not dependent on individual automobile transportation. Few people of my grandparents generation owned a car. They used public transport or bicycle.

The way cities are getting congested I can see private cars being banned to save them.

We are not dependent on satellite communication. I lived most of my working life before they were common place.

We are dependent on things because we chose to be, not because we had to be.

Corona has shown what a mistake it was to be dependent on overseas tourism.

Of course it's not simple, but IMO it's a mistake to be too dependent on something that can be denied simply because a tree fell on a wire, or because criminals can hack the system for ransom.

Agreed

its a mistake to be too dependent on anything but when you’re talking about “today”

If you took away cars, motorbikes and satellite communications at 4 pm today there’d be quite a mess!

Id say we’re too dependant on plastic...especially in Thailand!

1 minute ago, Kanada said:

Kids are much smarter and better educated than we ever were...computor!!

That's a huge bug bear of mine. Take the computer away and how educated are they? Kids should be taught how to reason and problem solve in their head, not on a machine.

What happens if every computer system in the country goes down for some reason ( it could happen for obvious reasons )? Who will survive?

Just now, Kanada said:

Agreed

its a mistake to be too dependent on anything but when you’re talking about “today”

If you took away cars, motorbikes and satellite communications at 4 pm today there’d be quite a mess!

All I can say is we'd better hope that nothing does deny us computers, cars etc, as it will be the biggest mess in history if it happens.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

That's a huge bug bear of mine. Take the computer away and how educated are they? Kids should be taught how to reason and problem solve in their head, not on a machine.

What happens if every computer system in the country goes down for some reason ( it could happen for obvious reasons )? Who will survive?

Sorry I can see that is a pet peeve...

I don’t totally disagree either but let’s face it....computor s aren’t going to go down everywhere in the country.

a large percentage of the cars driving down the street are being run by a computor!

there’s no going back!

Challenge: count the amount of times you deal with computers and plastic today

Just now, Kanada said:

Sorry I can see that is a pet peeve...

I don’t totally disagree either but let’s face it....computor s aren’t going to go down everywhere in the country.

a large percentage of the cars driving down the street are being run by a computor!

there’s no going back!

Challenge: count the amount of times you deal with computers and plastic today

Exactly. EVERYTHING is on computer now, which is why the first thing any country wanting to take over another will destroy the computer system first.

That's as far as I'm going as it then becomes a political discussion and those are no longer allowed on TVF.

4 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Sun, Safety, Culture, Cheap, Women, Family,Fresh Food, Pool Swimming, Convenience, Lifestyle, Property, Beaches, Sailing, Fitness, Weight Control,

Hospitals, Travel  Base, Restaurants, Muay Thai, Spas, Temples, Buddhism,

Service, People ...........

Yes ???? 

and yet if you look back on the 25 pages of comments on this post at least half will say they hate Thailand and Thais??!!

On 5/17/2021 at 8:07 AM, gamb00ler said:

OK..... name me one good restaurant serving Canadian food here! ????

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

Canada doesn't have a cuisine.  

OK... my fault.... I was too lazy to search for the appropriate sarcasm emoji!

But....only Canadians are allowed to acknowledge our lack of a cuisine. ????

7 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Deer/pork sausage, pea soup and Costco hotdog with a drink $1.49

14 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Just a note on food:

Beast Burger in the Neiman area is one of the best Burgers I’ve ever had...great fries too...highly recommend it!

6AB06547-8F2F-468B-957D-B9CD01C06C19.png

4 hours ago, Kanada said:

Really or you’re joking?

I know the French spent quite a bit of time next door trying to fix Vietnam ????...did they leave some cattle behind?!

Not joking.  Real stockyard, very good beef for sale, in Sahkon Nakhon.  Will stock up again in a few days.

3 hours ago, Kanada said:

Yes ???? 

and yet if you look back on the 25 pages of comments on this post at least half will say they hate Thailand and Thais??!!

This seems to be a popular  'opinion' expressed by many TVF members.

The irony of this is that most of them have lived a long time in Thailand and still have no plans of leaving  - day to day life really must be a challenge, with such an attitude IMHO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ravip said:

The irony of this is that most of them have lived a long time in Thailand and still have no plans of leaving  - day to day life really must be a challenge, with such an attitude IMHO. 

I can see how someone could have that attitude—especially if they threw their life savings into Thailand—only to have currency issues or relationship issues down the road.   And running out of money is a common fear among retirees the world over.

3 hours ago, Kanada said:

Agreed

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, ravip said:

Suspect as someone else said “location is not the issue here”...or is the woman they’re with.

It seems almost always men!....who did very little research on the “real Thailand”...which doesn’t have anything much to do with “tourist Thailand”!

**I have said that I like Thailand and it seems to draw the ire of a very disenthused group that feel like they’ve been tricked and want me to know all about those problems and that I’ll learn better than to like it here if I stay long enough!

Kind of like going to Disneyland and growing tired of Mickey and the rides????

I never played in the tourist Thailand as I had a son that lived here who sent me looking in a different area plus I’m not a party guy after 25 years old.

Some are determined I came to satisfy some dark desire....after all why would anyone come here?!

Thailand is not easy....????

41 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

I can see how someone could have that attitude—especially if they threw their life savings into Thailand—only to have currency issues or relationship issues down the road.   And running out of money is a common fear among retirees the world over.

But the countries they came from probably had pretty wide social safety nets...as does Canada where I came from but.....that means extremely high taxes and cost of living!!

if you run out of money in Thailand you’re on your own so better be extra nice to those you know today????

39 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

As a Brit with a pension, the British government and the banking system would have to completely fail before I ran out of money. Effectively it would be TEOTWAWKI ....... zombie apocalypse/WW3 event.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kanada said:

It seems almost always men!....who did very little research on the “real Thailand”...which doesn’t have anything much to do with “tourist Thailand”!

**I have said that I like Thailand and it seems to draw the ire of a very disenthused group that feel like they’ve been tricked and want me to know all about those problems and that I’ll learn better than to like it here if I stay long enough!

I think Thailand's great.

Tourist Thailand and real Thailand are essentially the same IMHO, hookers, beer and drugs.

I also think Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines are great.

You drew the ire of the expat realists who don't like your 'rose coloured' (and rather naive) posts about how 'real Thailand is different. Been here around 12 years, slept with a local woman almost every night (not always the same local woman). If you give them the chance, the women will take more than you want to give no matter how 'different' you think she is. The only real difference between the virgins and the bar girls is the number of customers they have had, not so much the money they want (the bar girls usually settle for less than the virgins).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You drew the ire of the expat realists who don't like your 'rose coloured' posts about how 'real Thailand is different.

What i don't liked isn't the supposed real Thailand being different

of course the life in a rural village isn't the same as in Bankok or Pattaya

i have done both during few years so i am aware of it

what i don't liked was under the cover of a random and open question

''why do you live in Thailand?'' the OP was here with the holy mission to

erect his experience and life style like THE perfect model and all the others were sinners only good to be hammered and treated like the losers they were in his view

All his topic is oriented in this way, and honestly it shows at least a pretty narrow mind

I just wonder how many time he is going to continue to spit out the same old fashioned cliches, this topic seems to be runing in circle since a while now

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

All his topic is oriented in this way, and honestly it shows at least a pretty narrow mind

I think it's more about denial .........

His wife/gf hasn't banged a thousand other foreigners for money.

His wife would never cheat on him or steal the house he foolishly purchased in her name.

I once had an American guy drone on about how his wife would never cheat on him, etc. etc.

While his Thai wife (who I'd banged the night before) was winking at be from behind him.

I once had a Brit guy in a coffee shop (run by his misses) bet us a million baht his wife would never cheat on him. While the guy sitting next to me had just had a BJ from her behind the coffee shop counter earlier that morning.

I once had a French guy crying while he explained how his Thai wife had cheated on him with other men. I believed him as I'd had her a month earlier.

Cheating in Thailand is a national pastime, my misses has certainly cheated on me.

Join in, embrace the culture, cheat as well, or appear to be a hopeless (and rather sad) ninny to everyone.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

His wife would never cheat on him or steal the house he foolishly purchased in her name.

I once had an American guy drone on about how his wife would never cheat on him, etc. etc.

While his Thai wife (who I'd banged the night before) was winking at be from behind him.

I once had a Brit guy in a coffee shop (run by his misses) bet us a million baht his wife would never cheat on him. While the guy sitting next to me had just had a BJ from her behind the coffee shop counter earlier that morning.

I once had a French guy crying while he explained how his Thai wife had cheated on him with other men. I believed his as I'd had her a month earlier.

Cheating in Thailand is a national pastime, my misses has certainly cheated on me.

Join in, embrace the culture, cheat as well, or appear to be a hopeless (and rather sad) ninny to everyone.

There is always few exceptions to the rule

i am sure is wife is different....

ok i am out lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I once had a French guy crying while he explained how his Thai wife had cheated on him with other men. I believed him as I'd had her a month earlier.

Sounds like penthouse forum stories ahahaa

• Haha 1

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

Sounds like penthouse forum stories ahahaa

Isn't that why we're really all here.

Between the ages of 52 and 62 I lived the life of a rock star.

Drunk nearly every day, and in bed with an attractive woman most nights.