Why do you live in Thailand?

Kanada

2 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Because its still more fun and just better overall living, for all it's chaos, than Mexico, the UK, Australia, Cambodia, Colombia, The Phillippines, the USA, and Africa, all of which I have lived and or worked in.

wow, you been around!!

44 minutes ago, Kanada said:

Haha....we’ve read a thousand books!

Ny Grandmother had 11 kids and remembered the change in their house when radio came out (no o e played music for her after dinner any more like they always did and the Model T was going to destroy the world as she knew it !

My Dad was worried because I was always reading....then one day I bought a motorcycle....then I bought a 1956 Ford Victoria and I’m sure he wished I was back reading books instead of leaving rubber at the end of our driveway and stealing gas from his tank????

I remember going downstairs and my two youngest boys were both buried in books...all they ever wanted was the next book in the next series...then one day they started to play video games blah blah blah....

You can watch National Geo. On your phone....watch WW2 (the big one)  in a corner of your corner of your computor screen while you do quarterly or annual updates for work!

A four year old can Discover nature and watch animal kingdoms to a point where there won’t be any more zoos some day!

want to learn how to garden?

want to redo the engine on your lawn mower or your kids car....there’s an app for that

want to shop for investments or diamond rings or furniture

want to order microwave popcorn and have it delivered for the hockey game tomorrow night 

name it and you’ve got it at your fingertips...you can use it or abuse it but do t complain about

Lead follow or get the hell out of the way.....????

This is where we live....this is who we are????

Wow but very true and the age of the internet and even more the last 2 years,

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Surely people must be staying away in droves at that price, or do they just earn so much that it's affordable?

London was expensive, but UGC cinemas had a card that one paid the price of 3 movies for and got unlimited movies for a month, so great deal if one went to lots of movies like I did.

Many people have Netflix and big TVs now,  no need to go to the cinema. And heaps are just pirating the latest releases, piracy is rampant in Australia.

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Canada doesn't have a cuisine.  

It’s somewhat true....we follow the US in that way!

We are meat and potatoes and BBQ people and you can cook a good steak almost anywhere in the world once you find the beef!!

I don’t know what one of these skinny old Thai cows would taste like on a plate????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kanada said:

We are meat and potatoes and BBQ people and you can cook a good steak almost anywhere in the world once you find the beef!!

I don’t know what one of these skinny old Thai cows would taste like on a plate????

Thats easy, take an old flip flop or shoe, leave it in the sun awhile then try eating it ! Same same !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kanada said:

Pretty good beef in Sahkon Nakhon—special French/Thai breed.

14 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Apple restaurant has a good reputation of having a good steak from that Stock Yard outside of SN. He ages the beef. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Really or you’re joking?

I know the French spent quite a bit of time next door trying to fix Vietnam ????...did they leave some cattle behind?!

39 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Apple restaurant has a good reputation of having a good steak from that Stock Yard outside of SN. He ages the beef. 

I don’t recall seeing an apple restaurant in ChiangMai 

Ill have to check

If they have a good steak it will be a pretty penny 

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Thats easy, take an old flip flop or shoe, leave it in the sun awhile then try eating it ! Same same !

Dukes Restaurant in Maya Mall (he has another location too) ChiangMai has good meat!

I think it Australian beef that seems to taste similar to our Canadian beef!

We feed our beef cattle on barley in Canada where the US feeds theirs on corn...there’s a distinct flavor difference...I don’t know what Australia feeds their beef??

2 minutes ago, Kanada said:

Dukes Restaurant in Maya Mall (he has another location too) ChiangMai has good meat!

We feed our beef cattle on barley in Canada where the US feeds theirs on corn...there’s a distinct flavor difference...I don’t know what Australia feeds their beef??

Had a couple of lovely Aussie beef steaks recently from Makro. Great value too at around 128 baht per steak. BUT they are few and far between and you have to grab them when they appear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I couldn’t find a listing for an Apple restaurant in ChiangMai....unless you meant Applebee’s ??

18 hours ago, Kanada said:

name it and you’ve got it at your fingertips...you can use it or abuse it but do t complain about

Lead follow or get the hell out of the way.....????

This is where we live....this is who we are

If we didn't complain about things forums probably wouldn't exist.

My point is that while the internet exists ( and even I use it ) is it a good thing? I don't think so.

Humanity has become far too dependent on the computer/ internet IMO. One only has to look at the hack for ransom on the US pipeline, and in NZ an entire district of a heath board went down because of computer problems.

Kids can't even count in their head now. When they need a calculator to work out what change I need when I give a 100 baht note for a 70 baht item, we have problems.

1 hour ago, Kanada said:

The Australian beef is mostly grass fed.  However 40% is from cattle injected with growth hormones.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-03-10/vets-attack-coles-over-hormone-added-beef/2662652

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My point is that while the internet exists ( and even I use it ) is it a good thing? I don't think so.

Kids can't even count in their head now. When they need a calculator to work out what change I need when I give a 100 baht note for a 70 baht item, we have problems.

What else are we supposed to do at our age?

I'm not sure that Thai kids (or adults) could ever count.

Their education isn't that good, and their IQ isn't that high.

Edited by BritManToo

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

If I wasn't an internet addict I'd read books and go for walks. I'd be happier, wealthier and fitter.

Do you really believe what you just typed?

Before the recent hot spell, I was walking 9Km/day (2 hours).

That left me with 6hrs to sleep, and 16 hours left to read, listen to music, watch TV and post on forums.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What else are we supposed to do at our age?

What did the previous generation do? 

Go for a walk?

Go to the pub meet some new people? Or even the old ones

Plant a tree?

Buy an RC boat/car?

Fettle up the scooter?

Buy a Lego Titanic?

Start a diary?

Et al.

• Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Do you really believe what you just typed?

Before the recent hot spell, I was walking 9Km/day (2 hours).

That left me with 6hrs to sleep, and 16 hours left to read, listen to music, watch TV and post on forums.

You must have missed my post where I wrote that you must spend less time on the internet than I.

1 hour ago, Kanada said:

I couldn’t find a listing for an Apple restaurant in ChiangMai....unless you meant Applebee’s ??

Not CM, the post I replied to was about Sakon Nakhon. They have a very large stock yard there (Sakon Nakhon) with Thai-french beef cows. The restaurant Apple is in Sakon Nakhon. 

• Thanks 1