Why do you live in Thailand?

Kanada

1 hour ago, lazygourmet said:

555!!!

Culture, what culture?!?

I've been living here for the last twenty years and spent all 90's in Indonesia.

So more and less +30 years around SE-Asia.

Regarding culture : I will get it back when I will move to Europe for a well deserved retirement.

Seriously....You really don’t see the “culture” in Thailand or you can’t see it because it’s not what you’re used to?

I like the Thai people and they like me

Like the warm weather and it likes me

Back in the USSR.. Oh, sorry, got distracted.

I adore my Thai wife and she adores me!

Very happy with Doctors clinics and Government hospitals

Whatever Government or Immigration does, good, bad or indifferent - it is only a mild irritation

I will burn here

But hopefully not until I die

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Where else would you be and why..always open to other options on the horizon... ???? as Britman stated his reasons

I would base myself in the UK and travel extensively.  But as it is, unless Mrs P agrees, which she may well do at some point, we are here, temporarily.  

On 5/16/2021 at 7:55 AM, statman78 said:

Kanada,

I agree with you.  Life here in Thailand is much more relaxing.  It is much better here than back in the US.  

"I’m not an expert on running a country so I’m not political." and do you think the unelected "PM" and his soldiers are political and experts in running the country? ???? ????????????.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:40 AM, clivebaxter said:

Last in a long list of mistakes in life, I don't like the government, the corruption, the heat, the insects, the food or the driving. If not for the mrs I would be off home. UK has nice seasons, better shops, free healthcare, driving not insane and the food does not stink the house out ????

"UK has nice seasons", You are joking aren't you? Unless your referring to the far south of England.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"I’m not an expert on running a country so I’m not political." and do you think the unelected "PM" and his soldiers are political and experts in running the country? ???? ????????????.

Who cares!

What could that have to do with me?? ????????????????

It's the Thai people. I don't know what I did wrong in a previous life but I was badly punished by being born German, so I'd have to deal with German people otherwise. Have you met Germans? Then you know why I'm in  Thailand.

If you haven't, God they're insufferable. How much nicer are Thais by comparison...

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

If you are looking to live in surroundings that are comparable in quality and ambience to a mid-level home in a mid-sized US city, I don't think the RE is cheaper here.

That might be the difference. My points of reference are the other cities where I also spend meaningful time - Vancouver, Singapore, and Hong Kong. Comparatively real estate in prices in Bangkok look almost unbelievably affordable to me and "this only costs <price>?!" is a regular reaction I have to the RE market here.

I do know that some US cities have very cheap property prices as well, but those cities aren't places where I personally want to spend much time, so it just might be a difference in perspective.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, ezzra said:

If you like Thailand now, you would have gone Gaga over being here 20-30 years ago when this country was the dream place to be in any way possible and especially for the single young man that i was, but as times and things turns, so did the viability of living here, this is not to say that it has become unpleasant but one can say it has become less fun and more mundane living...

Thats called getting old

3 hours ago, lazygourmet said:

555!!!

Culture, what culture?!?

I've been living here for the last twenty years and spent all 90's in Indonesia.

So more and less +30 years around SE-Asia.

Regarding culture : I will get it back when I will move to Europe for a well deserved retirement.

Sorry that you have come to that opinion. I suppose it all depends on who we interact with and our own character. My decade here has led me to a view more consistent with the books on Thai culture before retiring here a decade ago.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

1. No respect for elderly foreigners.

2. I agree.

3. Second rate medical care, you'd have to be insane to let a Thai doctor cut you open.

4. No status for foreigners.

Sorry that you have come to that opinion. I suppose it all depends on who we interact with and our own character. My decade here has led me to a view more consistent with the books on Thai culture before returning here a decade ago. My 2005 heart attack care at RAM was excellent. I have to agree that the instability of not having permanent residency status has caused some heartburn.

On 5/16/2021 at 12:17 PM, Denim said:

The bum guns do it for me.  My sphincter has never had it so good.

Hey, don't be looking to me for your fetish ???? butt ????seriously, I have self installed them in my condo here in Australia

On 5/16/2021 at 12:23 PM, Meat Pie 47 said:

Nonsense, I retired in Australia have great life, free health care collect my pension every 2 weeks and still have plenty leftover at the end of the months

I guess that depends on your outlook ad needs ? To me that's existing and not living but perhaps as I am 55 ? but I said the same thing when I quit work at 35 as well. Maybe I am still active enough (I'd like to try kite surfing next) ? I much prefer the nightlife in Thailand, with my crazy f parter ????

On 5/16/2021 at 12:42 PM, madmen said:

Agreed. With a pension card and rent assistance it's doable if you don't smoke $50 per 100 gram of tobacco and don't drink beer $50 for a case of 24 bottles. 

I'm on the gold coast right near the beach and Cavill Ave paying $800 /month rent minus $280 rent assistance but I have to share with 2 others! I'm looking forward to heading back though to my condo and for me Thailand is a better lifestyle and never boring in Bangkok 

Just up the road near the beach as well. but only me and my (f) parter here in our place that I own.  I think in Aus it's nearly a necessity to own a place if you want to live on just the pension (or be prepared to share).  Rents seem extraordinary high to me, I got a quote to rent our place out at $3600 or thereabouts a month (or so the agent said)  12 months ago and nearly fell over.   I had thought about moving to the bush in Tassie but even there house prices are ludicrous.

Maybe one day we can leave fortress Australia again ? I want to try longer term in Laos next time or a smaller Island in Philippines near the Beach.  I have spent a fair bit of time in Thailand and like it but don't love it enough to move there.

6 hours ago, Nemises said:

“Plenty” leftover because you’re not paying for rental accommodation in Australia. 

Rental accommodation costs in the non-tourist parts of Thailand are a fraction of those in Australia. 

Renting or not,  if you subtract from the Australian Old Age pension the Aussie price for 2 X short times, 2 X Thai massages and 4 x cocktails by the beach per week, you probably won't have much left for food ????

On 5/15/2021 at 9:58 PM, ezzra said:

If you like Thailand now, you would have gone Gaga over being here 20-30 years ago when this country was the dream place to be in any way possible and especially for the single young man that i was, but as times and things turns, so did the viability of living here, this is not to say that it has become unpleasant but one can say it has become less fun and more mundane living...

Being here 50 years ago was even better.  

On 5/16/2021 at 9:23 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

Nonsense, I retired in Australia have great life, free health care collect my pension every 2 weeks and still have plenty leftover at the end of the months

I'll wager you own the roof over your head, your claim of plenty left over is impossible for anyone who doesn't.

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

Bali is closed, and i adopted a stray cat

Same...4 rai...2dogs and three cats

It’s hard enough just to go to ChiangMai 

I think I’m here to stay ????

54 minutes ago, BumGun said:

Hey, don't be looking to me for your fetish ???? butt ????seriously, I have self installed them in my condo here in Australia

Most licensed plumbers won't install them in Oz, health regulations prohibit it. Although bacteria and viruses must be Olympic class swimmers to get past one way valves and a few meters to the mains. I've never heard of an epidemic in Thailand caused by bum guns.

2 minutes ago, Kanada said:

I think I’m here to stay ????

It certainly doesn't worry me if I stay here for the rest of my life, I can think of far worse places.

I have a Thai GF who prays to Buddha every night for a long life for me, I doubt there's anyone in Australia who is doing that.

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The quality of life here is quite high, for those of us with a decent income or pension. 

Going back to the US is not an option. I would not want to live there now, unless I was being paid over a million dollars a year, and then I would only do it for 3 years, and then leave. For me, it is about quality of life, and my level of fulfillment on a daily basis, which I seem to have here in abundance. A big factor here, is the relatively light hearted attitude of the people. You just do not find that in the US, where most seem bitter, disenchanted, unfulfilled, and heavy hearted. 

This is an entirely subjective topic, of course. But some of us live very good lives here. Some of us have been fortunate enough to find an outstanding woman, who is delightful to be around, on a daily basis, always has our back, and is fun, smart, and lovely. For me, that likelihood of finding that back in the US, would be very low. So, that is a big factor for me. The second factor is just the quality of life. Sure, I miss alot of the culture back home. The theatre, independent film (which I can download here with no issues at all, and a super fast 1 GB fiber optic connection, at under 700 baht per month!), stand up comedy, live jazz, etc. And great wine, at great prices I miss too. But we make trade offs in life. 

I have a lovely home that I rent, for about 10% of what I would pay in California, I live very well on an income which is not huge, have access to great health care, at a tiny fraction of what it costs in the US, and do not have to put up with alot of the aggravation that I had to when I lived back there. Though the police here are not good for much, they leave me alone! That is about all I ask of law enforcement. 

Thailand is still reasonable. It used to be cheap. Has not been cheap for a long time. But, it is still reasonable. I know people who pay 10,000 baht a month for newer 3 bedroom houses in nice towns. In major cities in the US? $2000-3800 a month. That is 120,000 baht!

I could go on and on. For a change, I won't! 

You could just exchange Canada for the USA and it could be my writing!

once you stop working I’m Canada it starts to eat you in big gulps...taxes and cost of living up every and that will never end!

Canadian women over 45 just need a good leaving alone and that’s exactly what I did (except for the odd dalliance with someone from the gym or regular coffee shop of course)

Like you met a great Thai woman with a great outlook on life who seems to like having me around????????

Very little aggravation here....unless you want to drag it along with you in your life as some do...
mall I require of a police dept. is to be left alone and we police our own property with fence and a Thai Bangkaew and a street dog named Big Duke who has marked the corners and comes to sleep at night.

Id hate to be the one who slipped past the gate thinking of mischief!

I miss a big medium rare steak and a bottle of French red once in awhile...and I miss shopping and being able to read the labels????

Like you I love Thailand and the life I have

congratulations to you and Mrs

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ianf said:

I live in Thailand because I am unable to sell my house right now. As soon as it sells I'll be going home to the UK. 

Good luck with the sale

Cheerio

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Renting or not,  if you subtract from the Australian Old Age pension the Aussie price for 2 X short times, 2 X Thai massages and 4 x cocktails by the beach per week, you probably won't have much left for food ????

Don’t drink cocktails and not sure how much is a short time. But do know Thai massages in reputable, air conditioned shops cost as little as 100 baht an hour (that’s about 15 times cheaper than the cost in Australia!!)

2FDEDB3C-3CD9-45AE-929B-419C68EE7B85.jpeg

On 5/16/2021 at 4:12 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I was here 20-30 years ago. And I liked it. And things were different. And obviously Thailand changed. 

Some people think it only got worse. I don't think so.

I.e. 20-30 years ago there was not a single good Italian restaurant in Sukhumvit. Obviously there was enough to eat but if I wanted something special "from home" it wasn't available. Now many things are available in many supermarkets.

And about the girls: As far as I remember there were more part time girls working at that time, i.e. in Thermae. But without going too much into details, 20 years ago many girls thought their mouth exists only to eat rice and talk a lot. That attitude luckily changed over time.

Before the Skytrain Sukhumvit was 6 (or was it 8?) lanes with no middle section. And lots of old busses which polluted the air a lot more than they do now.

And flooding was a lot more common than it is now.

Many bars were dirty at that time. I leave it up to you if that was better or worse than the clean places today.

All in all I liked it then and I like it now. Same same - but different.

phrom-phong-old-photo.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1