Do you at times miss your home country?

Last time I went back spent 3 weeks in England and 2 weeks in Scotland I had enough and returned to Thailand, just before covid hit was going to take my wife and son back and buy a camper van and tour around the Highlands then I looked at some blogs on youtube of some people already doing this, one guy was stuck in his camper as the rain and wind battered down all day.

But I do miss fish and chips. and Ubiquitous Chip.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

The England i grew up in has gone ,the countryside is still there the same ,its just that the people in it have changed ,,back in the early days immigrants arrived and worked and to some extent actually became part of Britain ,but now it seems that so many of them just want to scrounge and bring their country that they left with them. you just have to read the papers and see the pictures of the vast majority that cause all the trouble.

anyway its better here ,

Try reading some other papers and look for other pictures. maybe?

There are those that complain about immigrants not assimilating back home but relocate to Thailand where they bellyache about not finding a decent pork pie, complain about lack of good conversation but don't learn the language while avoiding talking with fellow foreigners. They criticize the assimilation efforts of some foreigners and label their Thai hosts as morally bankrupt and xenophobic. Takes all sorts I guess.

• Like 2

Do I miss my home country?

After 16 years living in Thailand and not visiting there, I can say no, I don't miss my home country.

However, lately, I wonder if Thailand was my best choice, maybe I should have gone elsewhere in Asia.

21 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

The music is the biggest reason, it's the girls I find boring, most are shallow with no opinions, little knowledge and zero curiosity. They look nice that's about it, all are lovely- at first.

i agree, doubt if Thai girls have read a book in their lives.  they'er also very immature and vain.  just like their brothers.  no opinions.

21 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Of course. There is absolutely nothing to do here, one of the most boring countries on the planet. if it wasn't for the 'girls' why the heck would a single one of us even be here? For what exactly?? I literally can't think of a single reason.

I know a few beaches that are absolutely stellar. Pitch a tent at the waters edge.

I've got a good job. Wife does as well.

With the politics in this country being what it is I'm ready to move back. The overarching issue that stops me is insurance for my wife that is 15 years my junior. She won't be eligible for Medicare for another 20 years assuming that Medicare even last that long.

I miss doing stuff most of all and not having a <deleted>ty government and arbitrary laws hanging over my head like the sword of Damocles. Living here has indeed become a headache.

15 hours ago, Aforek said:

I don't think so , not everything at least ; it's a question of "terroir ": ground, weather, grass ; for cheese or wine, taste is different depending on the region they are produced ; I don't think that a tropical weather is the best for these sorts of things 

Merci for reminding me of the concept of "terroir." Now I gonna dug up my MondoVino series from the bottom of which stacks of DVDs scattered around the house. An splendid journey into the appreciation of vine and its raison d'etre (not quite apropos, but can't resist sneaking in a French word or two;-)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, malibukid said:
22 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

The music is the biggest reason, it's the girls I find boring, most are shallow with no opinions, little knowledge and zero curiosity. They look nice that's about it, all are lovely- at first.

i agree, doubt if Thai girls have read a book in their lives.  they'er also very immature and vain.  just like their brothers.  no opinions.

From another thread currently running on TV.

I doubt that you pair have ever really spoken to any Thai girls.

Although I’m currently imprisoned in Australia, things I would miss about the place if I were in Thailand now -

no face masks

no soi dogs

very few motorbikes

clean air

regular tennis games with friends

high speed internet (yes, I know it’s generally better in Thailand, but not in my Thai condo)

my powerful but very cheap car

air con only needed a few weeks of the year

Would still rather be in Thailand though (that is, once the face masks are gone).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Do I miss my home country?

After 16 years living in Thailand and not visiting there, I can say no, I don't miss my home country.

However, lately, I wonder if Thailand was my best choice, maybe I should have gone elsewhere in Asia.

I know how you feel. 

• Like 1

I like my home country and Thailand and prefer to divide my time between the two.  Of course Covid has pretty much put things a bit out of order over the past 15 months.  I always seem to miss the other country when I'm in the other one though.  However soon I'll be back and it all works out ok.  

• Like 1

friends, good Italian food, shopping in stores that have what i want, concerts and clubs with good music, skiing, hiking, surfing, book stores, Whole Foods market, weekend getaways with interesting and beautiful woman.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

Although I’m currently imprisoned in Australia, things I would miss about the place if I were in Thailand now -

no face masks

no soi dogs

very few motorbikes

clean air

regular tennis games with friends

high speed internet (yes, I know it’s generally better in Thailand, but not in my Thai condo)

my powerful but very cheap car

air con only needed a few weeks of the year

Would still rather be in Thailand though (that is, once the face masks are gone).

Nice that they let you have internet, is it time restricted or the guards allow you to browse the internet when ever you like ?

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

One of the most wonderful feelings was a lovely warm sunny day  - yes, usually only about one a year in my native England. I worked on the railways for 15 years, in the days of steam, not to mention smoke, from age 15. This was my cue to travel. In five years I went all over England, Scotland and Wales and Ireland and even on the Continent, mostly for free! I have lived in Birmingham, London, Manchester, Northampton, Kendal, Liverpool and for 25 years in the West Country.

My wife wants to visit England and it will be the greatest pleasure for me to share and re-visit, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall where I operated my greetings card business. The Glens of Scotland, The Lake District, The Cotswolds, all that I so love and in great contrast with Thailand - that I also love for different reasons.

I am not missing the culture, the politics, the cold and the continuous dilution of the real British society.

Agree 100%. I have friends who were/are Guards. No free travel for me but still ashamed to admit how little I saw of U.K. during 60 years of residence. One railway journey to Edinburgh is as far North as I ever got from my home near Manchester. Once to Worthing my only South East trip. Somerset, Devon, Cornwall and The Cotswolds I especially regret never seeing.  

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Agree 100%. I have friends who were/are Guards. No free travel for me but still ashamed to admit how little I saw of U.K. during 60 years of residence. One railway journey to Edinburgh is as far North as I ever got from my home near Manchester. Once to Worthing my only South East trip. Somerset, Devon, Cornwall and The Cotswolds I especially regret never seeing.  

Oh my! Are you a real fugitive?

As a second best for me these days I watch really lovely videos, hours of 4K drone from the air of all the places you mentioned. I cannot recommend strongly enough how much I think you could enjoy them.

I first went to Penzance ( because it was the furthest I could go on a free ticket) and therefore Lands End and many of the fishing villages and coastal areas that had extremely few visitors. I remember as a 16 year old, going alone, never really having been anywhere and seeing Devon and Cornwall that blew me away - mostly by the wind,  haha

So much to remember and for me to share with my darling wife maybe one last visit so that in my dotage, the memories will never fade

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

If I had to narrow it down to only one thing I miss it has to be the different seasons.

True, the four different seasons, with different " atmosphere"every time ,  four times a year, is something we don't have here 

the only season I don't regret is winter , the three others are nice 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Oh my! Are you a real fugitive?

As a second best for me these days I watch really lovely videos, hours of 4K drone from the air of all the places you mentioned. I cannot recommend strongly enough how much I think you could enjoy them.

I first went to Penzance ( because it was the furthest I could go on a free ticket) and therefore Lands End and many of the fishing villages and coastal areas that had extremely few visitors. I remember as a 16 year old, going alone, never really having been anywhere and seeing Devon and Cornwall that blew me away - mostly by the wind,  haha

So much to remember and for me to share with my darling wife maybe one last visit so that in my dotage, the memories will never fade

I'm not presently 'on the run' but attract arrest warrants for malicious and trivial reasons. My Thai Mrs wants to visit U.K. If/when we make it through border control I'm sure she would appreciate the scenery if wrapped up well. I'm sure your's would too!

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

I'm not presently 'on the run' but attract arrest warrants for malicious and trivial reasons. My Thai Mrs wants to visit U.K. If/when we make it through border control I'm sure she would appreciate the scenery if wrapped up well. I'm sure your's would too!

Yes, I agree, my wife has been to Sweden so she knows the "wrap up warm" rule. I would plan to go in May and June and including a few places in Europe but think likely at least two years before such a trip will be possible without hassles of Covid and Brexit.

• Like 1