Post Your Ride

On 5/22/2021 at 4:11 AM, CharlieH said:

I remember as a teenager wanting one of these...........the Bondbug !

images (18) (5).jpeg

Yes, me too, still got one in UK.

I soon learnt that you can't park one in London because

kids like tipping them on their side.

You can't park outside a pub without people taking the pee.

BUG.thumb.jpg.b662173647608d0c52bcfbf83d1ea385.jpg

Edited by talahtnut
pic added
  • Haha 1

I once had a clapped-out 1963 VW bug with a 1960 engine in it.  A guy owed me $50 so I got the car.  Had to buy a new battery but it got me to and from college classes for awhile.  Then I bought a pickup truck and had to drive the VW about 100 miles back home to get it.  Midway something in the engine let loose - nasty growling noise and something punched a hole in the engine.  Took me about 4 quarts of oil to get home, about 50 miles a gallon.   The thing was pouring smoke and oil from the engine cover grilles and people were pointing at me. 

20210221_102500.thumb.jpg.52ba193beb01948f138c6a186325fe5f.jpgMy Holden VN Calais, originally sold new in Thailand with  2Lt 4 cylinder, it now has a Toyota 1jzgte, it a great car no rust and still needs a little tlc but over time ill get things done as i have to import all the needed parts from OZ 

16 hours ago, thaitom said:

I love it ! if you ever consider selling......

It would be hard to put a value on it, any value at all ! LOL

I like it for the amusement factor, pull up somewhere swish and watch faces change from disgust to aghast when they see a farang step out. I can't really put a price on that. ????

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 10:45 AM, NaamGin said:

Like most things in Thailand, it is not as it appears... The base car is a CLK240, but it has had the entire CLK63 Black body kit installed which was purchased from Benz in Germany... The hood (bonnet) is aftermarket as the factory CLK63 did not come with hood vents... The modifications were done by KJ Modify in Hat Yai... It also has the CLK63 exhaust, steering wheel and disc brakes... It handles really, really well, but as far as power, it won't pull a greased string out of a cat's <deleted>... I've been looking for an aftermarket turbo system, but no luck so far... My mechanic says we can yank the stock engine and put a 2JZ in it to get more power, but that's a bridge I don't want to cross for now... 

What is it about a standard CLK240 that makes you "continue to be a 'gear head'"?  A plastic body kit and part of a 63's exhaust sure don't and, as the chassis is standard, it can't handle any better than a standard CLK240, so, presumably, a standard CLK240 handles "really, really well"?.  

I was a glutton for punishment and in my teens had a succession of naff cars. First was a Renault 4 with removable rear seats. It's one virtue was it was ok as a camper van and was used in lieu of a tent many times.

Then followed a Hillman imp and 2 Sunbeam Stilletos. Last one was the best of a sorry bunch :

File:1967 Sunbeam Stiletto 900cc Front.jpg

Most fun motorcycle ( but not biggest ) was my Honda VT250F. Great acceleration and best handling bike ever ridden. The stock exhausts were replaced with chrome megaphones and these made it sound like a Ducati both on acceleration and deceleration. Drawback was the complex engine was an absolute pig to work on.

honda.jpg

Edited by Denim

23 hours ago, LeatFingies said:

I’ve had other cars, but these ones were my favorites.

1993 Honda Integra SI VTEC

1999 Honda Civic SI

1995 Acura Integra RS turbo 

1997 Lexus SC300 turbo

1994 Lexus LS400

1993 Nissan 240x turbo

2001 Honda S2000 

F976DA23-2899-44F5-BC50-EC16CD03D79F.jpeg

C96C2DA7-ACA8-4A4E-9A1D-6754F13FE785.jpeg

6162E52E-9A0A-46EB-8084-238248159C6C.jpeg

C825354C-7856-48CD-A54E-F95EC3631F8B.jpeg

1B8EC7FF-A5D0-4BFD-AE25-76A0F2F4B9FB.jpeg

C3A9B478-9432-4FC4-88EC-E1CBD3B252DE.jpeg

661F6E63-8662-4B31-B4C9-B59E66563624.jpeg

That's some shell-suit wearing, chavtastic, fast and furious cars you had there - till the last one ????

28 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

That's some shell-suit wearing, chavtastic, fast and furious cars you had there - till the last one ????

Endlessly flaunting your high priced cars shows a lack of class.  Insulting other people’s cars takes it to the next level.

2 hours ago, Airalee said:

Endlessly flaunting your high priced cars shows a lack of class.  Insulting other people’s cars takes it to the next level.

I am from the West Midlands - we don't have class there. 

But for your peace of mind, from this point on - I will pretend I have a Trabant and a Tuk-Tuk

This IS the interweb and it's a joke based on generalizations - which you have to admit are well-known.  I actually thought adding in "Fast and Furious" would puff up your chest a bit.

Anway - jokes apart, I never did get this. People get regular cars - and first thing they do is get new wheels and low profile tires. That's $1000's you could have spent getting a faster, prettier car. Then add on body kits etc. - and economically it makes no sense. If resell value is a concern - you are stuffed because everyone that sees that stuff will presume something about the way you drove it. But then I guess economics aren't the point - I'm just not sure what it the point is.

With my Trabant and Tuk Tuk - right from the off, shops are trying to sell you new wheels. And generally speaking - they are a bit naff. Even at custom shops that specialize in Trabants and Tuk-Tuks. I have seen loads of Trabants and Tuk Tuks with after-market wheels - but rarely do they look better than the original. It does set you apart from other owners. Nothing says money like "I spent $150k on a car and then threw away the wheels and tires". 

spacer.png

These are the wheels on the Trabant. They look ok, they go round in circles and I am far too cheap to throw away a perfectly good set of tires, when I can use them up doing doughnuts in CDC car park.

Anyway -  you are a fellow enthusiast and it is a pretty cool hobby. So I do apologize if I offended - we are more alike than different in our love for vehicles. 

And I promise - not more car pics or showing off from me.

spacer.png

16 hours ago, pedro01 said:

we are more alike than different in our love for vehicles. 

Such a true statement.

Maybe I shouldn't worry, that I end up with vehicles that people take the pee out of.

This has been called, a cucumber frame, goldfish bowl, a skip, greenhouse, etc.

thumbnail.jpg.d71bbada6a257440f3183ca8559abcac.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Such a true statement.

Maybe I shouldn't worry, that I end up with vehicles that people take the pee out of.

This has been called, a cucumber frame, goldfish bowl, a skip, greenhouse, etc.

thumbnail.jpg.d71bbada6a257440f3183ca8559abcac.jpg

I built one of these , around the late 80,s. Im from the West Midlands too. I wonder if many recognize it , or know its name and origins. One was discovered recently in a scrap yard.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

I built one of these , around the late 80,s. Im from the West Midlands too. I wonder if many recognize it , or know its name and origins. One was discovered recently in a scrap yard.

Building one is an impressive feat, well done. The machine above was one of the six

original factory built prototypes dating back to the 70s using hydrolastic suspension

and 1100 mechanics. Designed by William Towns who designed other vehicles including

the Aston Martin Lagonda, Rover SD1, and Microdot.

• Thanks 2

On 8/7/2021 at 8:32 PM, talahtnut said:

Building one is an impressive feat, well done. The machine above was one of the six

original factory built prototypes dating back to the 70s using hydrolastic suspension

and 1100 mechanics. Designed by William Towns who designed other vehicles including

the Aston Martin Lagonda, Rover SD1, and Microdot.

I didnt know these details. The car i built was a "kit car".  It was called the Hussler. I didnt know it was based on this earlier design. 1300cc engine , and a greenhouse in the summer. One was found in a UK scrapyard recently.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 10:01 AM, JeffersLos said:

The days you could earn enough working part time at 17 to buy a car.

And could buy a snide MOT for your car with 4 bald tyres , one headlight,

black smoke, and some ass bits dragging along the road, like my Austin Ruby.